A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 304,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
622 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 37
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where can I sell my crafts/supplies?  (Read 67297 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

apfersic
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2004 10:35:16 AM »

Hi,
I'm a pretty poor college student.  I have a workstudy job that only pays me $1,000 a semester, and leaves me with a lot of time sitting around.  I do not really have time to get another part time job because my workload varies from week to week.
I was looking for some ideas on how to start selling my crafts?  I am getting a sewing machine for christmas and I also love to crochet.  I'm hoping to be able to make some money off my hobby.  Help please?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2004 11:03:39 AM »

check out some consignment shops/boutiques in town where you could sell your stuff.  and then there's always the internet- ebay, your own online shop, or a online consignment shop like cutxpaste.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Immortalchild
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2004 04:32:14 PM »

Ebay is a good way to get started selling stuff. Look out for paypal fees & seller fees though!!! Some useful tips:
1. Know some html programming so you can make your descriptions look spiffy. This is a good site: http://www.eobcards.com/tutorial3.htm
2. Don't start your bids too high - but not too low either. You don't want to sell yourself short.
3. Be patient, it's difficult to get your name/products out there
4. Advertise on LJ communities (do a search for 'ebay')

Good luck Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ImmortalChild Clothing on EBAY:
http://members.ebay.ca/aboutme/immortalchild
Vilyariel
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2004 05:08:22 AM »

another thing you can do, invest in a cheap internet hosting package with a domain registration... if you use a domain name thats flexible, you can have subdomains for your online store, plus other areas for other projects you might find, even storing essays and things you've done for college. it's well worth it, i am a rather impulsive person, and my domain has made it so easy for me to sleep at night [if i want to do something, like make a website for something, if i cant do it then and there, it will bug me forever until i do it!]

THIS ROCKS   Logged

----------------------------------------------------------------------
ars gratia artis.
stumbleine
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2005 10:58:59 AM »

hi! i look at this site all the time and i finally decided to register because i'm interested in selling my things but i don't know where to start.
i have a bunch of knit scarves and sewn hand bags that i would like to sell but i don't really have any idea what i'm doing. i was thinking on the internet, but again i don't know anything about it and i don't know how much i would sell and how much of a hastle it would be. so what about craft fairs? how hard is it to register? how hard is it to sell? are they fun? is it better to just sell over the internet?
basically, where does a young person with cute scarves and hand bags begin? Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cloudbreakchick

We're all one of a kind, baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2005 06:43:50 PM »

My advice is to design a website, and then hit the craft fairs!  Include tags or have business cards with your web address on them--referrals are great! 

Check out all the other boards on here in regard to craft fairs--there are many more tips there than I can possibly type out.  Then, pack up your stuff, find some nice tables/stands/etc, and head on out!

Another possiblity is home shows--there are boards on that as well.  Just browse around, ask more questions, and dive right in.  Don't be afraid that your stuff won't sell (check the pricing tips, display ideas, and all the other great stuff), because if you do nothing, you'll sell nothing. 

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's late, and I've been wondering...  How I can stay awake so long and miss so much...

http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/CraftCycle
Linds3485
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2005 04:03:41 PM »

If you just want to start small, try selling some items on ebay. That's how I got started - then when I outgrew ebay (and wanted to make more profit per item) I set up my website. Ebay lets you start building customer relations - maybe pick up a few loyal customers, and you can sell and produce items on your own schedule.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lindsay Designs Unique accessories for you and your pet. It's fashion. Unleashed.
celadon
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2005 08:32:37 AM »

How much would it cost to participate in a craft fair? I'm sure it ranges depending on size, but is there a general range?

Thanx!

I'd suggest craft fairs as a good place to begin.  It is very hard to sell crafts on the Internet, but it's much easier when you already have a decent-sized customer base.  Boutiques will either want to buy your products wholesale (meaning, for half the retail price, generally) or sell on consignment (which means they take a big chunk of the profits--usually 40% or so).  If you can afford to do that, then by all means, take your stuff to some boutiques and see if they're interested.  If not, don't bother!

Craft fairs are good.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
takewrning
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2005 09:24:18 AM »

First off, I'd say get a Livejournal.  There are many communities that you can post your stuff and get feedback, and sales. 
Then it depends on your personality.  I hate craft fairs.  I'd rather not sell anything than sit there and try and talk to people that aren't interested in my stuff.  So I do the website deal.  But also, I have a lot of time during work to surf the web and promote my site.
The boutique things kinda depends on what you make, your prices, etc.  I love to travel, so I love going to the stores that sell mystuff instead of mailing it, so it makes it worth it for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will be time to sleep in the grave...
ww.TakeWrning.com
More frequent updates: takewrning.blogspot.com
Lindsayanne
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2005 01:12:31 PM »

How much would it cost to participate in a craft fair? I'm sure it ranges depending on size, but is there a general range?

Depending on how "pro" the craft show is booth fees can range from about $30 up to $1000+. Most of the kind of shows us DIYers are looking for are in the $50-$200 range.

The thing I don't like about craft shows is inventory. You bust yourself - and you budget- getting ready with no promise anything will sell. I like selling online where I can make product on demand. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 37 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Perfectly Smooth Tresses
Create a Perfectly Polished Pony
How to Do a 4-Strand Side Braid
Summer Hairstyle Tips for Short and Mid-Length Hair
Low Side-Part Hairstyles at the Badgley Mischka FW 2014 Show
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...