A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 307,543
Currently Running With Scissors:
394 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP! My daughter just went vegetarian, need Kitchen help...  (Read 2604 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

The Donna
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009 04:04:11 PM »

Here is a site that I often refer my "I want to be vegetarian, but I'm scurred" friends to:

http://www.happycow.net/vegetarian_protein.html

It touches on how much protein is really needed and alternative (nonmeat) sources.

Tell your daughter that she's got one fan here! I decided to be vegetarian at the ripe old age of four (when I found out that fluffy precious baby chickens grew up to be food). My parents also thought it was a phase, but I've been at it for 29 years now! She can do it too.

My husband is not vegetarian, but he has never once complained about my cooking. I think if you have enough variety in the recipes, you'll be able to please everyone.

Also, if you register with allrecipes.com, you can sign up to receive emails in different categories. You can receive vegetarian recipes (already rated) directly in your in-box! How easy is that?

Here are a few of my favorite recipes to get you started:

Cavatappi with Spinach, Beans, and Asiago Cheese

For a simple dish, this contains many healthful ingredients, plus the flavors are complex. If you toss the spinach and Asiago cheese while the pasta is still warm, the spinach will wilt and the cheese will soften. When this happens, the flavors blend and become more pungent.

8  cups coarsely chopped spinach leaves
4  cups hot cooked cavatappi (about 6 ounces uncooked spiral-shaped pasta)
2  tablespoons olive oil
1/4  teaspoon salt
1/4  teaspoon pepper
1  (19-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, drained
2  garlic cloves, crushed
1/2  cup (2 ounces) shredded Asiago cheese
Fresh ground black pepper (optional)

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl; toss well. Sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper, if desired.

Peanut Noodles   

INGREDIENTS:
8 ounces spaghetti or other noodles
1 bunch green onions, sliced
1 bunch broccoli, chopped into florets
1 carrot, shredded
1 package cubed tofu, drained
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons ginger
2/3 cup peanut butter   
1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup hot water
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoons white sugar
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (if you want it spicier, you can always add more on top of your individual serving)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until done. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, combine oil and onions in a skillet. Saute over low heat until tender. Add ginger; cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes. Mix in peanut butter, soy sauce, water, vinegar, sugar, and red pepper flakes. Remove from heat. Add cubed tofu.
3. Steam broccoli and carrots for 10 minutes.
4. Toss noodles and vegetables with sauce and serve.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009 04:08:05 PM by The Donna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do it big, do it right, and do it with style. Fred Astaire
Toxic.Onyx
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009 06:51:33 PM »

Those are all great ideas! I've been vegetarian for a while now (I'm actually trying to lean more towards vegan now), and my dad always asks me if I'm getting enough protein.
Actually though, you can get a complete protein if you combine
beans with: brown rice, corn, nuts, seeds or wheat or
brown rice with: beans, nuts, seeds or wheat.

It's actually things like iron and Vitamin B12, which is normally only found in animal tissue that I worry about more. It is in eggs & seafood though, sea vegetables like nori and most soy products. It's also in nutritional (Brewer's) yeast, which I highly recommend just because it's filled with healthy vitamins and amino acids :-)

Instead of tofu you can try tempeh or TVP (textured vegetable protein, in place of ground beef). Dessert tofu (silken & flavoured like mango or coconut, etc.) is also great in smoothies :-)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009 06:52:26 PM by Toxic.Onyx » THIS ROCKS   Logged

memento vivere
fragolina_piccolina

It means "little strawberry" in Italian ;o).

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009 07:52:19 PM »

I was 13 when I decided to go vegan, and I cooked all of my own meals myself... so I don't really have much advice to give you as a working mother.

What I really want to say, however, is that I applaud your efforts in allowing your child to be an individual, and even helping her along the way. My parents did everything they could to stop me from being veggie, and it didn't make my world any easier. Encourage her to join you in the kitchen, as others stated, and make it a time for the two of you to bond rather than fight over options. Great job, and I think you'll learn to love a lot of the things she will!

www.allrecipes.com
www.vegweb.com

^favorite sites of all time. The first is not all veggie, but they do have a good selection of amazing recipes, many that are increadibly quick and easy, and would appeal to both veggies and nonveggies (*ahem* husband*).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..*Melanie*
The Italian Knitter... don't insult the sticks, or you'll have to watch out for my knitting mafia!
tigerita
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009 12:30:30 PM »

I agree with what several other people have said that it is possible that she actually is getting enough protein.  One thing you could do (which will be useful for her once she's older and doing meal planning on her own as well) is sit down together and learn about nutrition -- what she needs and where she can get it.  B12 is one of the most difficult for veggies, but it's in soy (tofu, etc) and eggs.  Watch out for spirulina B12 supplements though -- I have a friend who has just been diagnosed with B12 deficiency anaemia because the supplements she was taking were actually preventing her from absorbing B12 from her diet!  If she's stilling eating fish, that's also a great source of B12.

It's great that you're going to get her cooking with you -- I wish my mom had done that when I decided to go vegan as a teenager.  It would have been very useful when I moved away to go to university and ended up living off bagels!

Another website you should check out is: http://vegandad.blogspot.com/  some of the recipes are a bit more time-consuming (you could buy pre-made seitan or make it ahead of time... I often make it on weekends) but he has a lot of quick ones and they're all yummy, easy, and kid-friendly.

Would your husband be willing to help out cooking the meat option for some meals?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BattleAxe
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009 06:59:26 PM »

I've been a vegetarian for about 15 years I guess.  I wanted to at a younger age but didn't know how to cook.  Still don't cook much but trying to change that. 

Few key things to know about being a vegetarian (and some people already mentioned them):

Rice + beans = full protein.  Protein is made up of amino acids (13 if memory serves me correct).  All amino acids must be present to create protein.  People think vegetarians don't get enough because most veg protein is "incomplete".  Rice and beans make a complete protein and don't have to be in the same meal but should be in the same day. 

Tofu = full protein.  Highly recommend soy milk too.  Its usually boosted with the vitamins she'll need.

B12 - Vegetarians do tend to become anemic.  Low iron levels.  Here's the thing, red blood cells are formed from B12 and iron.  Changes are its the B12 that vegs are lacking more than the iron.  Brewer's yeast is good for B12.  Easier to drink soy milk.

Iron - In order to absorb iron, the body needs vitamin C.  So keep that in mind.  Again soy milk will help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
morglanc

hey, are you going to throw that away?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009 01:45:51 PM »

opb has this wonderful show called christina cooks. she cooks with only vegetarian whole foods, with an emphasis on the vitamins and nutrients we need. if you go to christinacooks.com, all of her recipes are available.  with the huge amount of free internet resources, i think its a waste of money to buy cook books anymore. unless, like me, you just enjoy having a lot of books for books sake Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i love personal swaps. i'm looking to swap my art or paper crafts for some re-usable fabric snack bags, fabric sandwich wraps, fabric paper towels, glass pendants, ephemera, or art books.

http://www.wists.com/morglanc

http://morglanc.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: DIY Dryer Sheets
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Cozies
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Chocolate Mice

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...