A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: August's Nursery - with pretty, pretty birds  (Read 1763 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jane dough
« on: November 12, 2008 08:40:17 AM »

I wasn't sure if this should be posted here or in the sewing section or what.  I just figured this was as good a place as any!

I am expecting my little girl in February, 2009.  I'm so excited to welcome her, and I've been having fun with crafting while pregnant (because there really isn't much else that a pregnant girl can do).  It really started when my husband and I were looking at bedding.  In case you are not aware, baby bedding is very expensive and most of it only comes in pastel blues, pinks, yellows (especially for girls).  I hated almost everything I saw, and I couldn't imagine paying $200 or more for something so hideous (IMHO).  So, I decided to pick out some fabric and sew my own.  I'm thrilled with how it turned out!!!!!

Without further ado:

Please excuse all of my knitting and crafting mess all over the floor around the crib and in the closet.  I am still working on finding a new home (this used to be my office and craft room...)

close up of the baby bedding.  You can see the green a little better here.

This is the inside of the bumper.  The bird fabric is by Joel Dewberry, and I am in love with his designs now.  I wish I could afford tons of his fabric!

This is the diaper Organizer.  I love the tiny pocket, although I have no idea what useful thing could possibly fit in there.

This is the pocket Organizer.  It looks fine, although there are tons of little mistakes that I wish weren't there.  I used a vogue pattern which was nearly impossible to understand, and this was the piece that suffered the most.  Hopefully you can't really tell.

My husband and I also painted this old dresser to become August Isabella's changing table.  I'm super excited about how it turned out (it used to be an ugly dark color).

The right side of the changing table has a pretty little swallow that I taped off.

And a Peace Dove on the Left...

So, we are still working on little things all through the room, but I think that we have a very good start (especially since we still have 3 months before she gets here).  Thanks so much for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The dreams of youth are the regrets of maturity.
faithsmama
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008 08:49:43 AM »

beautiful work! i love the fabrics you chose, it's just so mod and fabulous! as far as the tiny pocket, looks like gas drops or teething tablets will fit in there nicely Wink

we considered august for a name when we were pregnant with faith, so sweet for a girl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tangerine_Dreams
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008 08:59:05 AM »

I'll probably be totally stealing some of your ideas.  I have this fabric for OUR bedding, and the yellow sparrows for the baby bedding!!  I'm making a quilt out of it, and using the striped fabric that coordinates for the dust ruffle!   

Congrats on your upcoming baby!!! I'm not due until May.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
jane dough
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008 09:06:36 AM »

I'll probably be totally stealing some of your ideas.  I have this fabric for OUR bedding, and the yellow sparrows for the baby bedding!!  I'm making a quilt out of it, and using the striped fabric that coordinates for the dust ruffle!   

Congrats on your upcoming baby!!! I'm not due until May.

Thanks! I really do love the birds...I couldn't decide on a theme or anything that I really liked until I found that fabric.  I almost went for the yellow sparrows instead of these, but decided this popped more with the orange walls.  I really wanted to use his green wood grain fabric for all of the green, but I couldn't justify spending quite that much on all of the fabric.  I am pretty happy with how it all looks!

I am still planning on making the mobile and some wall artwork.  Also, we have to find a cheap side table and bookcase for the room, so I am sure there is more crafting to come. 

Congratulations to you, too!  Please let me know when you finish your bedding and stuff so that I can see!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The dreams of youth are the regrets of maturity.
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008 09:56:11 AM »

I had the same problem when shopping for my nursery. You've done an excellent job. The small pocket on the diaper holder could be for diaper rash cream.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myfairytalescomingtrue
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008 10:49:30 AM »

what a lucky baby!  i love the green and the birds!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Store - Fantastic Fabrics at Discount Prices
http://www.JeLowe.etsy.com

My Blog
http://jelowe.blogspot.com/
bellacrafter

chronic lurker - finally a member!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008 01:04:57 PM »

your nursery is gorgeous! it looks like something you'd pay $200+ for and is such a beautiful departure from pink plastered everywhere. and the print is perfect for the name august - the colors and birds! congratulations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"we have lingered in the chambers of the sea"
http://www.bellayarns.etsy.com - crochet and knit: summer end bogo sale!
http://www.bellapapers.etsy.com - stationery: new eco-items!
battina
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008 12:31:19 PM »

i'm expecting a little girl in february 2009 also!

very cute/i can not stand traditional girls rooms
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008 12:31:47 PM by battina » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Homemade Dry-Skin Saving Recipe
BCBG MaxAzria NYFW Fall 2014 - Interviews & Runway
How to Look Effortlessly Cool Like Kristen Stewart
Madonna to Launch Skincare Line in Japan
The Model Behind MD
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...