A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 301,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
426 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Marble Christmas Ornaments  (Read 7053 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , ornament , flat_glass_marble  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 12, 2008 07:05:07 AM »

Well I posted some ornaments I made last year in a post for inspiration and decided to post more pictures of them and a Tut in it's own post. They are super easy and addicting to make. I made over 50 of them last year for additional Christmas gifts for all my family and they were a big hit. Now these ornaments are quite a bit heavier than your typical ornaments but will hang fine on a sturdy branch or can be hung anywhere.

Here are some pics of the ones I made last year:

Now the tut, bare with me as this in my first one Cheesy
In this tut I am making two ornaments at the same time, there are pictures after each step to help (visuals always help me!)
If there is any confusion or questions, ask away!

Materials Needed:
  Styrofoam Balls
  Pipe Cleaners
  Ribbon
  Paint / Glitter Paint
  Hot Glue Gun and Hot Glue (Lot's of hot glue!)
  Styrofoam Paint Brushes
  Something long and skinny to poke a hole through the styrofoam

Step 1:
Paint the Styrofoam balls whatever color you'd like. I find it's easiest if you use foam brushes and dab/stipple the paint on, that way you can get into all the pores of the styrofoam. It doesn't have to be perfect but the foam brush and dabbing helps get good coverage. If you want to use glitter be sure to use paint that already has
glitter in it. If you put glitter on afterwards or try to use a glaze with glitter the hot glue/marbles will not stick to the foam. It will basically just pull the layer of paint/glitter off. Be sure to let dry completely (which can suck I hate waiting for paint to dry! Sometimes I use a hair dryer but it doesn't always work with these) They need to be dry so the hot glue will adhere. Believe me I've been impatient and glued before the paint was completely dry and the marbles just start to come loose or fall off.

Step 2:
Now you are going to want to make a hole through the styrofoam balls as close to the center as possible (so you don't have a crooked ornament) In the picture I used a paint brush handle. You are basically making a pilot hole to thread the pipe cleaner through since pipe cleaners aren't strong enough to push through the styrofoam by themselves.

Step 3:
Now thread your pipe cleaner through the hole leaving just an inch or so sticking out from the bottom.
In the pic I wound two pipe cleaners around each other for decoration. You can just use one or wind a few together, whatever you'd like!

Step 4:
Now take the little bit of pipe cleaner you left at the bottom and thread/push it through the styrofoam beside the hole but not in the hole you made. This is for support. And push it in as close as you can. I forgot to take a picture of this part but after you push it in put some hot glue in the hole around the pipe cleaner and some over the part you stuck back into the styrofoam for more support and so it doesn't pull out or move around.

Step 5:
Now take the top part of the pipe cleaner you stuck through and twist it into a loop. Now you have a way of hanging your ornament! Dab a bit of hot glue around the top of the styrofoam by the hole by the loop also.

Step 6:
Now start glueing marbles! It takes a bit or trial and error to not create large gaps sometimes but once you get the hang of it you sort of develop a pattern of how to glue them down. Now there will be some gaps and that's why painting the styrofoam helps. I alway start with four around the top, then start glueing between the four and go from there.

Also once the paint in completely dry and you glue the marbles down the glue sort of melts the styrofoam creating quite a bond!

Step 7:
Now tie some ribbon around the loop on the top and have fun!

I glued the tails of the ribbon down on some of my ornaments last year to keep the bow shape and to tame them down Smiley

There are sooo many varieties you can do with color combos!

You could also skip the pipe cleaner part and just have decorated marble balls, kinda of like those mosaic ones that you see as home decor in bowls and such only with marbles.

You could create paper weights.

Let your creative juices flow!

And last night while going through my supplies I came across these fun pom poms! (the pic isn't the greatest)

And thought those would be cute too! Just substitute the pom poms for the marbles! And it would also be much lighter.
I wanted to try it last night but didn't have enough of the pom poms to cover an entire styrofoam ball, I'll have to try it soon though!

Well I hope you all enjoyed it! And if you make some I'd love to see Smiley
Thanks!

Pics are gone, sorry!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011 03:57:11 PM by lindsycarranza » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
JadedJenn

Valar morghulis.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008 07:16:38 AM »

Those are really pretty.  Grin Thanks for the tutorial! I may have to try making some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
My Wists
ambergirl134
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008 07:23:41 AM »

They look like candy.  Mmmmmmm.  Very pretty.  Nice job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindyv321
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008 07:30:57 AM »

These are great!  I did something similar with buttons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

Because Pizza Princess is the best princess

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008 07:33:01 AM »

Those are freakin' awesome!  I can't wait to make some thanks for such a great tute! 
I bet they look gorgeous when the lights flash off of them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindsycarranza

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008 07:37:33 AM »

Those are really pretty.  Grin Thanks for the tutorial! I may have to try making some.

Thank You! Please do they are soo fun! If you do post pics I'd love to see!
Thank you and Your Welcome! They are so fun to make!
They look like candy.  Mmmmmmm.  Very pretty.  Nice job.
They do kind of look like candy I didn't think of that Smiley Thanks!
These are great!  I did something similar with buttons.
Thanks! Ooo buttons would be cute!
Those are freakin' awesome!  I can't wait to make some thanks for such a great tute! 
I bet they look gorgeous when the lights flash off of them!
Oh they really do especially with the glitter ones! Thanks also, this was my first tut and I'm glad it came across well!

Also the marbles create a magnifying effect so with the glitter ones especially it makes the ball in the middle look really small, I wish I had a better pic of that, the second one from your left in the second picture really pulls that off. That one was created with round marbles instead of flat backed ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
KMOM13
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008 08:38:44 AM »

Very original and they look great! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindsycarranza

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008 08:47:36 AM »

Very original and they look great! 
Thank You!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TwiztidBlood
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008 09:38:29 AM »

Great Idea, I think Im going to try them
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just moved to a new loft, please contact me for my new mailing address!
My Wist
lindsycarranza

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008 09:56:40 AM »

Great Idea, I think Im going to try them
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Dragon
How to Draw a Leprechaun
How to Use a Pencil for Drawing
How to Create Caricatures
How to Draw a Lily
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: TVP Chik'n Nuggets
@Home This Weekend: Colorful Garden Chairs
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Palette Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...