A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,470
Currently Running With Scissors:
556 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: From Dismal Dungeon to Colorful Craft Space (img overload)  (Read 1187 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_room  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blushingbluegrass

Bowl of Petunias: Oh no, not again.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 27, 2009 10:25:18 AM »

Teaser:

So. We bought our house last June and unfortunately, due to budgetary issues, had to keep our roomates. Our three bedroom home has people in all the bedrooms. Roll Eyes 

We do have a huge basement. Huge. And a huge laundry room. Huge. And in this huge laundry room, we have what I like to call, a nook. It looked like this:

Needless to say, kinda depressing. So I decided, armed with about $100 and a lot of imagination, I would turn this depressing little nook into my crafty haven.

I bought 3 oops quarts from a local hardware store for a whopping $9, and they were even nice enough to tint them closer to the bright colors I wanted! While in this hardware store, I noticed they were changing out a sandpaper display for a newer model. I asked is I could buy the old one, and they gave it to me! Score! This became my new paper rack....

So I took my fantastic new oops paint and returned home. While most people would have sat down and figured out what they were going to paint what color, I just opened the nearest can and started slopping it on. My planning process is tres sophisticated  Grin

Next I went to my neighborhood dollar store, where they had these fantastic Halloween decorations up. I loaded up on some fun accessories and organizing containers at a grand total of $15 and went on my merry way. Some of these can be seen in the first photo.

After this I realized that while my basement is very large, the floor is very concrete and very cold. So, off I went to Home Depot and picked up a small area rug for $15.

With all these improvements, I was still feeling as though my colorful space was missing something. With only half of my budget left, I was limited with options. Plus, I always feel better about shopping at thrift stores anyway, so I skipped down to the Goodwill, where I found this adorable little R2D2:

The best part....

He lights up!!!

I also found that mirror that I turned into a thread rack.

And so, although I am nowhere near completely happy, I think I found a space that I can work happily in, and not feel as though I have been locked away in a dungeon. What do you guys think?

Still left to do: find/hang better light, hide ugly but necessary cords, make table out of office chair base and cabinet sitting on the floor of these pictures ( Tongue) and unpack the billion remaining boxes of crafting supplies.

P.S. I even have my very first WIP from this crafty space!!!

I was listening to Queen's "Killer Queen" while I found this pillowcase at a thrift store. Now, what to do with it?!?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees, which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please.

wisting on a star....
Sellie
The Crafting Trekkie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009 01:54:36 PM »

Its nice that you were able to find a crafting area in your home. I like what you've done with it, quite the transformation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blushingbluegrass

Bowl of Petunias: Oh no, not again.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009 06:01:28 PM »

I think its nice, too! Now to clean it up!!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees, which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please.

wisting on a star....
rileyartie
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009 09:24:11 PM »

You did a great job brightening it up, and I love the colors! Looks like a great, fun space. Looks like kitty likes it too.  Smiley

I enjoyed reading your narrative too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Georgia_S
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009 03:27:07 AM »

Wow the laundry looked very depressing before the transformation! And the transformation is amazing Smiley You did an amazing job with so little money.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Many Free Craft Patterns to choose from

Get a link back to  Your craft Stores
CrafterStar
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009 12:36:46 PM »

You know how to fix up a space.  That is a great transformation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Carolina Herrera Fall 2014 Beauty NYFW
How to Make Your Lips Appear Bigger
This Couple Got Facelifts Together
His & Her Facelifts
Top 8 Ways to Protect Your Skin from Winter Weather
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...