A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nalbinding: Mini Ruby, my first completed doll  (Read 1905 times)
Tags for this thread: nalbinding , gnome  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: November 11, 2008 04:14:28 PM »

I love nalbinding, and I love even more to use nalbinding for sculpting. OK, I call it sculpting, it's actually mostly about making dolls and animals right now, but, well, I am only a beginner, and anyway, I am enjoying this a lot.

The simple doll pattern I used here gave me quite a headache. I have three unfinished versions made months ago, where I still struggle with the proportions. I modified the pattern a bit for this doll, which I made for the Roaming Gnome Swap... using a doll pattern that had never worked before... with the slowest technique there is avaiable... not ot mention the medieval garb she is wearing which I had totally set my mind on and had to redo completely after the first time... and so on...
The only reason I didn't go nuts was that I had to be nuts already to start this project at all Smiley Smiley But I finished it, and I sent only two days late. *cough*

This is Mini Ruby:

She is made from silk yarn, with Oslo stitches (F1 UO/UOO).
The clothes are early medieval, the same as mine. I don't have the funky gnome hat - at leat yet Smiley

Here are some progress pictures in reverse order:

Ruby with a guest gnome from the Roaming Gnome Swap:

I broke a needle!

Here a size reference and a view on her curves. My first attempts at nalbound boobs. A bit messy, and I cheated a bit, but working.

So if you're a nalbinder, and getting a bit tired of the usual hats and mittens and socks and stuff, you don't have to. With the most simple of stitches and a craftster spoiled mind, you can do anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GrannysAnnie

"It's always something!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008 05:56:21 PM »

That is so cool!!!  I've never heard of nalbinding, but I just looked it up online, and it sounds pretty awesome!  Anyway, your doll looks great  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The screenname says it all - I'm my Granny's Annie!

*PhD student and audiologist extraordinaire*
seneris
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Medieval Craft lover

I live to learn new crafting techniques!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008 04:14:26 AM »

Ruby, your doll looks great! I admire your patience, I can imagine how much work it took to make her. But she's very cute. But how did you manage to break a needle? I thought naalbinding needles were quite sturdy...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt - use gold paint Wink
50 projects in 2013 craftalong
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008 05:56:24 AM »

How to break a needle while nalbinding: Put your project on your sofa on a spot you are certain to place your hand on for getting up within the next five minutes... or just by being stupid and thinking you suddenly turned into a friend of gravity or something similar... er... Smiley
Actually, this was a pretty sturdy needle. I make them from all kinds of woods, and some are not very durable, but this was good one! Maple wood, with engravings! Well, I have lots of needles, and I can make a replacement quite fast, but to some needles you get attached to.
The nalbinding part took longer than the sewing part, but it wasn't the nalbinding part that ate most of my patience, because I had a very clear idea of what I was doing, which helped. The sewing part was way worse. Those needles are so small! They vanish the very second I let them out of sight! And sewing is not my favourite technique anyway.
As for the patience: It took me two weeks to make Mini Ruby completely, and I worked on other projects in this time too. So this was not a very long nalbinding project. That's an okay time for a complex project, I'd say.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seneris
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Medieval Craft lover

I live to learn new crafting techniques!

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008 06:48:32 AM »

I know what you mean about needles, my pins have a tendency to vanish into thin air. The sewing you did, even though you hated it, looks lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt - use gold paint Wink
50 projects in 2013 craftalong
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008 10:46:02 AM »

I have prefered crochet hooks so I know what you mean about getting fond of a tool. Could you e-6000 the tip back on? Or sand it so you could re-use?

I totally love her and think sculpting is the perfect word. She's 3-d so why not? I think I shall start saying I am sculpting with yarn when I make a crocheted stuffie of my own pattern. Smiley
GReat job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mynta
Tutorial Contributor

True Mistress of Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011 01:51:58 AM »

Love the hair on miniruby! Well love the rest too. Very nice! ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

..yes, it IS like that! U should see my Craftingroom. Chaos, just chaos and Im the only one who can master that room.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nic Pizzolatto Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Steve Martin Reads from Born Standing Up
Andrew Clements Talks About Report Cards
Remixing Shakespeare
Ellen Marmur Reveals Where She Would Like to Be
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...