A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,468
Currently Running With Scissors:
439 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need new ideas!--please post your homemade Christmas ornaments  (Read 56766 times)
Tags for this thread: ornament  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gigglygirl

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gigglygirl/

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 11, 2008 10:33:35 AM »

I'd love to see some interesting homemade ornaments. Animals, angels, snowmen, decorative doodads--you name it!

I am itching to try something new and interesting. I was digging through my craft supplies and made a few of these snowmen ornaments. I need to add faces. They're nothing special but I thought I'd post them to get the ball rolling!

I used all supplies I already had. I cut three circles--in three sizes-- out of white fleecy fabric. I then took a needle and thread and using big stitches sewed around the edge of each circle.  Pull the thread to gather the edge of the fabric creating a pocket. I stuffed the fabric pocket with poly fill and then pulled the thread tight closing the pocket and making a ball. Do this with all three cloth circles. I secured the balls with more stitches. I then sewed the balls together to make the snowman body and added details including stick arms, felt scarves and hats and buttons. I handstitched the little felt hats together while I was watching television.

The best part of this project is you only need scissors, needle and thread, and fabric to complete this project.

I can't wait to see what everyone else has come up with.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2008 02:57:49 PM by jungrrl - Reason: Made title more descriptive » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mimiw
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008 10:37:19 AM »

Good topic!  I need ideas as well!  I have an entire tree to make ornaments for!

Here are some I made last week - just Styrofoam balls covered with fabric strips and a little embroidery floss.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
gigglygirl

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gigglygirl/

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008 10:40:37 AM »

Love those Mimi! What kind of adhesive did you use? Your ornaments look nice and smooth--which I like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008 10:55:36 AM »

Here are some ornaments I made last year for an ornament swap and then I made some for most everyone in my family.
These are a bit heavier than your typical ornament but will hang fine on a sturdy branch. Some of my family hung them on doorknobs etc...

I made quite a variety of colors.
Materials: flat back marbles
                hot glue and hot glue gun
               pipe cleaners
                ribbon
                paint
                glitter

Now you don't necessarily have to use all those items but here is a general tut on how to make them.

First take you styrofoam ball and use a pencil or awl or screwdriver to poke a hole all the way through trying to stay as centered as possible.

Second insert your pipe cleaner leaving about an inch or two sticking out of the bottom. Thread that through the the styrofoam to secure it (not through the hole you made but beside it, actually stick it through the foam) Now fill the hole with some hot glue around the pipe cleaner on the top and bottom. OH I almost forgot You want to create a loop at the top of the ornament once you glue it in there, just twist as close the the styrofoam as you can.

Now you can either leave the styrofoam ball white or paint it. I personally think painting looks better. You can use glitter paint, whatever you want. The cool thing about the marbles (clear ones) and the glitter is it creates a very cool magnification look and make the ornament pop that much more.

Glue marbles on being careful not to burn yourself Smiley The hot glue melts the styrofoam helping aide the marbles in sticking to the ball, believe me it's not easy to pry them off after the glue has cooled.

Finally attach ribbon if desired and voila!

I hope this all makes sense this is really my first tut.

I think I'll try to make a step by step tut with pic's soon, I think this could be a fun project for many Smiley

These were a BIG hit with my family last year Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
mimiw
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008 11:11:53 AM »

I'll have to try those now!

What kind of adhesive did you use? Your ornaments look nice and smooth--which I like.

I just used regular Elmer's glue and put a little dot at each end of the fabric strip.  There is a little clean up of frayed edges afterward but otherwise they are pretty darn easy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knuffletje
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008 11:43:39 AM »

I've been scouring the internet looking for things to make, since my boyfriend and I have NO ornaments. Here are some links that I had:

a little house ornament: http://pimpstitch.typepad.com/blog/2008/10/monday-tutorial-little-house-ornaments.html

A few different yarn ornaments from Martha Stewart: http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.3a0656639de62ad593598e10d373a0a0/?vgnextoid=863ad9de53425110VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default

Also from Martha: http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.3a0656639de62ad593598e10d373a0a0/?vgnextoid=9d58809dc732f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default

A few others:
http://www.bhg.com/holidays/christmas/ornaments/simple-paper-tree-christmas-ornament/

http://www.bhg.com/holidays/christmas/ornaments/how-to-make-folk-art-ornaments/

hope this helps! Can't wait to see what others come up with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aquilla da Hun

Mommys Little Monsters

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008 11:55:52 AM »

First take you styrofoam ball and use a pencil or awl or screwdriver to poke a hole all the way through trying to stay as centered as possible.

Second insert your pipe cleaner leaving about an inch or two sticking out of the bottom. Thread that through the the styrofoam to secure it (not through the hole you made but beside it, actually stick it through the foam)

What is the purpose of the first hole you made?  I am just wondering because these are beautiful and i would like to make some for my family this year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Show me a man with a tattoo and I'll show you a man with an interesting past.  ~Jack London

Our bodies are our gardens, -to which our wills are gardeners!   ~William Shakespeare
HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008 12:32:57 PM »

I want to post some examples of ornaments I made, but I am in an ornament swap and don't want to give away any secrets Wink
I'll try to remember to post after the swap is over.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gomerriffic
Meet my friend, Mr. Lemmy Lime!

Exsqueeze me?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008 03:20:34 PM »

very cool idea I'm always looking for something small to give to people!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
h0p31355

How *hard* could it be?

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008 03:29:10 PM »

I don't know if this will qualify but most of my BF's parents tree ornaments are from the 3 kids while they were elementary school Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~h0p31355~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kaldereta With Yana & Kyle in Brooklyn, NY
How to Make Thai Style Soba Noodles With Mango
Shrimp and Pineapple Teriyaki Recipe
Sweet Soy-Glazed Tilapia Recipe
Spicy Orange Chicken Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...