A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
436 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Re-creating the dress?  (Read 483 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

massiekur
weasley is our king!

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2008 10:51:49 PM »

Hey Guys! A friend(I use the term loosely.. :-/ ) of mine was wearing a really cute dress the other day that looked totally simple enough to be my first dress(or any article of clothing) that I make completely from fabric that I can actually wear(other than a recon). I've never followed a sewing pattern before for an article of clothing. Anyways, here's the dress!

Now, the top looks like just a simple tank-top-type top(wow, try saying that five times fast), and the bottom like a simple pleated skirt thing...but I am at loss where to start with the measuring, ect. Are there any online patterns that look like this or anything? I really like this dress and I'd like to make it!

I am extremely grateful for anyone that is able to help me out! =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do love knitting patters..." by Dumbledore Pg. 73 "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince"
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008 03:54:48 PM »

That kind of pleating is done on a special machine with heat. And as far as fitting goes, I have to say your friend is too well endowed for that dress, it doesn't hit at the right spot.

Now, this is a knit fabric, so make sure to buy a needle especially for knits. The simplest way would be to mark a tanktop under your boobs with chalk, then add seam allowances and cut on that line. The line that you marked will be the line you stitch on. How much seam allowance is up to you, I like half an inch, but home patterns usually use 5/8ths of an inch and sewing machines are usually marked with 5/8ths. I really like 1/4 inch, but that can be hard to maneuver for a beginner. You won't need to worry about finishing your seams because they don't fray.

Measure on the line that you marked. You can measure just the front and double it to get the whole measurement around. Also measure the length from the line to where you want the dress to end, add a little more because you can always cut it off after you have sewn the dress. This dress doesn't need a hem because it is made out of knit and it will be more flowy without one. The skirt part will be similar to the infinity dress: http://rowena.typepad.com/rostitchery/infinity-dress.html

That has a full circle, you could also do a half circle and it would look good. This is where geometry comes in. You want to make sure that you can get it over your head, too. There is a tutorial on here for a circle skirt. For a half circle skirt, double your "waist" measurement, but only cut out half the skirt. I say "waist" because on a normal skirt it would be at your waist but this is higher than your waist. Draw it out on drawing paper or newsprint to figure out how much fabric you need, then go to the fabric store and find some stretchy knit fabric and lay your pattern on the fabric to figure out how much you will need.

I probably haven't covered all my bases as well as I could, so if you are confused, just ask. It will be a combination of recon and new fabric. Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 3/10
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 2/10
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 1/10
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 10/10
How to Crochet a Traditional Granny Square Pattern
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...