A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 301,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 56
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lap Quilts For All Swap- Round 4! CLOSED!  (Read 32677 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

whoopdedoo_5
I can resist anything...except temptation :P

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #280 on: December 12, 2008 10:46:10 AM »

yah I dont always measure afterwards but I usually try to. I think that when we do recieve finished blocks to measure them quick to make sure so we can be sure and notify that person of it. I know I have had a problem in the past but it was taken care of and all was fixed. And If that person was me who sent it to you I would like to also say sorry  Smiley Hope you can fix it! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

audrey1999

I think I have become addicted to quilting.

« Reply #281 on: December 12, 2008 12:11:56 PM »

Although I do measure all of mine and I am almost positive that I didn't send out any that were short, I start to wonder and feel guilty that one might have slipped by me.  I know I didn't send any out that were 12 x11 because I would definitely notice that, but if it wasn't 12.12.5 square I completely apologize! 

I have been grading around 200 essays this week and trying to finish holiday gifts so I am so looking forward to being off after next Friday and having some time to work on these blocks! Smiley  Oh why did I decide to make my mil a lap quilt?  Why did I not think about that before the last round so all I had to do was sew them together? I could use the blocks from last round, but I love them and will not share... Smiley

Happy Friday everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Attention swap partners! My blog and flickr have spoilers! 
http://audreypawdrey.blogspot.com
klum78

Actual size shown

« Reply #282 on: December 12, 2008 12:33:10 PM »

I found one that was 12x12 last time and a few that were 12.25 x 12.25.  The part that I am annoyed about is that the people who sent them didn't even mention the off size.  I had another that was a bit short but at least she included a note so I was aware of it ahead of time.  I felt like the others were hoping I wouldn't notice or something...  Like you said, it's not a big deal but please don't try to hide it. 

I, of course, don't know who you're talking about, and if any of my blocks were short then let me be the first to apologize!  But your message seems to imply that there was some intention of deceit going on, and I'll be honest -- I don't always measure a completed block before I send it.  Now, if it was 12x11, I am sure I'd notice ... but 12.25 x 12.25?  I might not.

Besides, if I did notice it, I'm not sure what could be done about it.  Mention it ... sure -- I can see how that would be common courtesy.  But I don't think I would take it all apart and redo it.  And, there usually isn't enough fabric to try again.

PSA is duly noted -- I, for one, will be more diligent about measuring final blocks and notifying people if they're a little off.  But let's just not assume that people are being purposely dishonest or sneaky.

I wasn't trying to come off snarky.  I apologize if I did.  I also was not intending to imply that people were trying to be dishonest.  I just put together my top from the last round so this is fresh in my mind.  Again, not meaning to offend anyone.   Undecided

I would not expect anyone to take the block apart and try again.  That's way too much work for such a small mistake.  But yes, the common courtesy of mentioning it would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008 01:44:42 PM by klum78 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are in the process of switching over to cloth diapers.  Would love some advice, hint, tips.   Will swap for diapers!
My etsy shop: KimberlyMade
Wisty Goodness
LibbyK

Eres la fea mas bella y no te has dado cuenta...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: December 12, 2008 12:51:30 PM »

I was doing a swap on another site and never measuring my blocks before sending out.  I just assumed that with my mad quilting skillz they were all coming out perfect  Wink.  Then the organizer posted a similar comment and I started measuring and discovering that my skillz weren't as mad as I thought  Tongue.  SO I was glad for the comment and I hope no one here takes it badly either.  Doing swaps has really helped me improve my accuracy.  The biggest most important thing I learned is the importance of sewing a scant quarter inch, because you lose a teensy bit of fabric length when pressing.  Also, if you struggle with this, you can look for quilt patterns that allow you to make the block a little too big and trim it down at the end.  That's how I did my freestyle block for John. 

I certainly agree that we all need to be conscientious.  At the same time I think a little variation when swapping is just the nature of the beast.  I'd rather that people enjoy the process than make themselves crazy and miserable over it, but yeah, that doesn't mean being careless, either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://quiltster.blogspot.com

If you are working on (or thinking about starting) a postage stamp quilt with 1.5" squares, I have scraps and squares to give away.  PM me if you're interested.
glittergirl94
« Reply #284 on: December 12, 2008 01:59:02 PM »

Geeze... look what I started!  I wasn't looking for an apology from anyone... I honestly don't know who sent it and I'm not worried about it.  I was able to fix the block, no big deal.  =)  And like I said earlier, I'm sure I sent out a short block.  It's all good...   Grin  In more exciting news, I got four blocks done today, as well as the quilt tops for round 3!  I'm off to post pictures now!

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FlashleyAshley

mashley forever

« Reply #285 on: December 12, 2008 02:08:25 PM »

I'm glad you guys are back to chatting, even though it's not the most enjoyable topic Tongue

Part of why this is such a great swap was that Marie designed it to welcome all skill levels and be FUN for everyone. It can be nerve wracking working with fabric that belongs to someone else and I definitely don't want to discourage anyone from trying something new or different. We all understand that even the best quilter has some points that aren't perfect or blocks that may come up a little short. Most of the time you can fudge the seam allowance a little bit to work with the block. I know that when I first started paper piecing, some of my blocks came up a little short [beware of quilterschache.com for this reason!] so I am fully aware of how easy it is to make this mistake.

Remember that a lot of these quilts are gifts or will be in the quilter's family for a long time, so take your time and try to plan ahead but most of all ENJOY YOURSELF. Everyone who signed up for this swap did so because they wanted to see what creative pieces other people would come up with for their fabric. If we all wanted blocks made by us, we'd have just done it ourselves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.ohthatashley.blogspot.com
I'm working on getting my blog up, check it out! Smiley
j_q_adams
« Reply #286 on: December 12, 2008 08:12:13 PM »

well said, ashley!  and i was going to delete my message because i realized it was written by a slightly cranky, end-of-a-long-work-week me, but i came back too late to delete it on the sly.  so, sorry about that!

i was glad to see some new blocks in the gallery tonight!  i'm happy that some people are finding the time during this busy holiday season to take some time for themselves and work on their blocks -- i know that for me it can be therapeutic!  i'm itching to get working on some more ... i have a few ideas already for some more blocks.  just need to find the time.

have a great weekend, everyone!  i hope to be back later on in the weekend with some block pictures!    Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: December 12, 2008 09:14:07 PM »

I wanted to work on a few blocks tonight, but after a nasty 10 hr shift in the rain and freezing cold, I just wanted to chill when I finally got home!  Hmm, whose fabric should I work on? I will probably randomly draw a package out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 1/28

~The 2015 Quiltalong! is up and chugging along! Come join us!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
glittergirl94
« Reply #288 on: December 13, 2008 07:36:57 AM »

That's what I've been doing...  I have two boxes next to my desk; an to-do box and a done box.  Right now the to-do box is pretty full but I'm getting there...  I just reach in and pull one out.  But, I'm also doing the same block for everyone.  Makes thing go a lot faster...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LibbyK

Eres la fea mas bella y no te has dado cuenta...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: December 15, 2008 06:56:15 AM »

Whew, Monday again already...

I have all my fabric packets now.  Since last Monday the only thing I accomplished was getting one block half-way cut out.  Between various commitments it seems like a lot of us aren't getting much done right now, and I'm in that club.  There are some great new blocks in the gallery, tho.  J_q_a I especially like your block for Poerava...looks awesome!

I'm again hopeful that I'll get some blocks done this week, but we'll see...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://quiltster.blogspot.com

If you are working on (or thinking about starting) a postage stamp quilt with 1.5" squares, I have scraps and squares to give away.  PM me if you're interested.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 56 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Beautifully Wrap a Bottle of Wine
How to Create a Fall Wreath in Under 30 Minutes
How to Make Homemade Bows
Pat Mitchell: Policy Comes from the Top
Pat Mitchell: The Audacity to Take Risk
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...