A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,799
Currently Running With Scissors:
751 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 56
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lap Quilts For All Swap- Round 4! CLOSED!  (Read 29100 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FlashleyAshley

mashley forever

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 10, 2008 06:09:34 PM »

Gallery for Lap Quilt Swap I Spring: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=231990.0
Gallery for Lap Quilt Swap II Summer: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=240167.0
Gallery for Lap Quilt Swap III Fall: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=254966.0
[OUR ROUND] Gallery for Lap Quilt Swap 4 Winter: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=278288.0

Swap name: Lap Quilt Swap IV: Winter Edition (USA and Canada)
Craftster member who is organizing this swap: FlashleyAshley, with Audrey1999 and Southern FLower co-organizing
Sign-up date range: 11/10-11/17
Date to send item by: 12/3 for fabric; 2/17 for blocks (read below)

Limited to a certain number of people? (optional): Yes -- 36 people.  There must be exactly 12, 24, or 36 people.  If there aren't 12, 24 or 36 people by the time the swap is set to begin, I will extend the signup period.  Whenever there are 36 people I will close the signups.

Restricted to people who all live in the same country? Yes -- U.S. or Canada only. You will most likely be sending to both the US and Canada.

All ages allowed? Or 18+?  18+

Swap Organizer himself/herself meets these conditions:
- Has fully read the Swap Info Guide: YES
- Has successfully completed two swaps as a participant: YES
- Is not organizing more than three swaps right now: NO
- Will recruit a co-organizer or give all details to a Swap Moderator if this swap has more than 25 participants: YES -- there is already a co-organizer, Audrey1999.

Swap Organizer will check each participant to make sure they meet these conditions:
- Has been a member for at least one month: YES
- Has posted at least 15 times: YES
- Has completed one swap successfully before signing up for multiple swaps at a time: YES
- Is not currently signed up for more than five swaps: YES
- Does not have any negative feedback: YES

*When you send me PMs, the more specific you can make the subject line the better!

Summary of swap:

You make 11 blocks for the people in your group using the fabrics of their choice and you receive 11 in return.  You can make whatever style or pattern block you'd like.  You make yourself one block too which gives you 12 -- enough to make a lap quilt!  Read on for details!!

Details of swap:

There may be two (or three) groups of 12 and you'll only quilt for your group.

Each participant will choose/purchase the fabrics that they want in their own quilt.  She or he will send out at least three different fabrics totaling at least 3/8 yard total to each other participant.  If you prewash your fabrics (most quilters do), prewash them before you send them.  The fabrics must be quilting cottons -- no velvet or knits.

No piece should be smaller than 9"x9" and you should send some lights and darks.  Remember, the fabric that you send out to people will be in your block.  Give the participants a range of fabrics to work with.  You may even want to send more fabric to be sure that the participants have the flexibility to use lots of different designs.  In the past swaps, participants have often wanted more fabric to work with.  It's better to send extra because you'll get the scraps back.

If you have any special requests, include a note when you mail out the fabrics (special requests include preference for traditional or non-traditional blocks, embroidery, etc.  These requests do NOT have to be honored, but it's an additional chance to let your partners know what you are most interested in).  Be sure to include your name inside the package to help the receivers to keep them organized.

2 requirements when you send your fabrics: (1) Send your fabrics inside a ziplock bag with your name written on it.  Do not use the ziplock bags that have the slider closers as they cost more to ship.  (2) Include a return address label -- it can be a print out to tape on the package (it doesn't have to be a professional sticker) 

All the fabrics must be sent by 12/3.   You do not have to prove via DC that you shipped the fabrics; if the fabric gets lost in the mail, it is up to you to resend or the recipient will not be responsible to send you a block. Shipping is about $1-2 US per package, so keep this in mind when deciding how many groups to sign up for.

Each person will then receive 11 sets of fabric.

Using the fabrics sent by each person, you will make that person a quilt block that measures 12.5" x 12.5".  Please be precise on the finished size.  You'll send each of these blocks back the original person (along with any spare fabric that you did not use so the original person can use that for pieced sashing or additional blocks if s/he desires).  You can use whatever pattern you desire to make the blocks. You can make all the blocks the same or each one different.

All completed blocks must be sent by 2/17/2009.   Delivery confirmation is not required.  However you must at least save the receipt.  If your package gets lost in the mail, you must be able to prove that you sent it for positive feedback.  Please remember to include your username in the package so that everyone knows where their blocks came from!

This gives you two months to make 11 blocks.  Since you don't have to quilt or piece the blocks together, this is totally doable.

When the swap is over, you will have received 11 blocks (and you should make yourself one) out of the fabrics of your choice!  You can piece them all together and add sashing/border and make a truly keepsake quilt.  Without sashing, the finished quilt size will be 36 x 48" (this is a lap quilt size; or you could use it as a baby quilt too).

PLEASE only join if you know how to quilt.   I know that joining swaps can be fun to try out new techniques but because you are working with someone else's fabric, you can't just purchase more if you make a mistake.  So please, be confident in your skills.  You don't have to be amazing but just be sure that you can pick a design and move forward without fear of messing up the fabric. Make a block that you'd be happy to receive and we'll all have fantastic quilts!

Gallery:  Everyone is requested to post photos of their completed blocks to their "block gallery."  When I open the gallery thread, every person will post a HOLD spot for their block gallery.  This just means that you post a comment on the thread.  Nobody can post any discussion until everyone has created their block gallery.  When you finish a block, you'll post a photo of it to your block gallery so that everyone can see.  After all the galleries are created, everyone can discuss the blocks.

** This swap is communication heavy!  You are expected to promptly notify your group leader whenever you send or receive fabric or blocks.  In addition to letting your organizer know when you get blocks, you will also need to make a ‘progress post’ every Monday. You can simply let us know that you are still alive, or give us more details about which blocks you've done.

Please: If something happens to snag you from sending, send late.  BETTER LATE THAN NEVER!  This swap ONLY works with full participation because you have someone else's fabric!

Feedback will be given as soon as you send all your completed blocks and they are received.

If you want to participate, information to send to organizer: FlashleyAshley

audrey1999 and Southern Flower will help with updating the status and keeping everyone on track over the winter.

You may sign up for one group if you are a newbie swapper, and up to 3 groups if you have swapped before (this counts all Craftster swaps, not just this one.)  Tell me how many times you want your name in the hat.  For example, if you want to be in 2 groups, you'll send out and receive 22 packets of fabric; 3 groups, 33 packets of fabrics and blocks. Keep in mind that each packet costs about 2 dollars to send--postage WILL add up if you are sending 60+ blocks!

QUESTIONNAIRE TO ANSWER:
Name of swap: LQ4
Craftster username:
# of groups:
Email address:
Your real name:
Mailing address including the country:
Do you agree to posting a progress report every Monday?

IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE, REMEMBER TO SEND YOUR INFO TO ORGANIZER VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE AND NOT TO REPLY WITH IT HERE.

Also remember to read the Swap Info Guide to find out how to ship your item and other details about participating in a swap.

AFTER PEOPLE HAVE SIGNED UP AND BEEN APPROVED, LIST THE PARTICIPANTS HERE:
*=LQS veteran
1. FlashleyAshleyx2*
2. whoopdedoo_5x3*
3. whoopdedoo_5x3*
4. whoopdedoo_5x3*
5. LouraPalmr*
6. audrey1999x2*
7. chinarockfishakm
8. KRB
9. kaishabackwards*
10. 1boy1girl1kitty2X3*
11. 1boy1girl1kitty2X3*
12. 1boy1girl1kitty2X3*
13. j_q_adamsX2*
14. j_q_adamsX2*
15. glittergirl94x3*
16. glittergirl94x3*
17. glittergirl94x3*
18. poerava
19. MareMare
20. ritapizza*
21. southern flowerx2*
22. southern flowerx2*
23. gordongirl
24. EOcrafter
25. Laural
26. LibbyK
27. audrey1999x2*
28. thatbluesea
29. SandyBradley
30. klum78x2*
31. klum78x2*
32. MareMare
33. southern flowerx3!*
34. gordongirlx2
35. KRB*2
36. Laural*2

here's our gallery!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=278288.0
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008 03:33:37 PM by FlashleyAshley » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.ohthatashley.blogspot.com
I'm working on getting my blog up, check it out! Smiley
FlashleyAshley

mashley forever

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008 06:12:10 PM »

everyone has feedback!

groups 1: FlashleyAshley's group
FlashleyAshley all fabric packs rec'd
whoopdedoo_5 all fabric packs rec'd
1boy1girl1kitty2 all fabric packs rec'd
glittergirl94 all fabric packs rec'd
LouraPalmr all fabric packs rec'd
j_q_adams all fabric packs rec'd fb left 3-14-2009
audrey1999all fabric packs rec'd
MareMare all fabric packs rec'd
southern flower all fabric packs rec'd
gordongirl all fabric packs rec'd
LibbyK all fabric packs rec'dfb left 3-14-2009
poerava all fabric packs rec'd fb left 3-14-2009

group 1 tracking: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pB47JJdCGqQKVcMxQiMA8Ow

Group 2: audrey1999's group
audrey1999all fabric packs rec'd
whoopdedoo_5 all fabric packs rec'd
1boy1girl1kitty2all fabric packs rec'd
glittergirl94all fabric packs rec'd
klum78all fabric packs rec'd
ritapizzaall fabric packs rec'd
southern flowerall fabric packs rec'd
gordongirl all fabric packs rec'd
chinarockfishakmall fabric packs rec'd
KRB all fabric packs rec'd
Lauralall fabric packs rec'd
SandyBradleyall fabric packs rec'd

group 2 tracking: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=puZrnceeWx3FfITLubuI2Sw

group 3: southern flower's group
southern flowerall fabric packs rec'd
whoopdedoo_5all fabric packs rec'd
1boy1girl1kitty2all fabric packs rec'd
glittergirl94 all fabric packs rec'd
kaishabackwardsall fabric packs rec'd
j_q_adamsall fabric packs rec'd
thatblueseaall fabric packs rec'd
MareMareall fabric packs rec'd
klum78all fabric packs rec'd
KRBall fabric packs rec'd
EOcrafterall fabric packs rec'd
Lauralall fabric packs rec'd

Group 3 Tracking: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=psdWX1V9s7x2ogGdQ-rGhCA&hl=en

A few important things to remember:
Smiley Please notify your group leader when you send/receive any packages.
Smiley Please reserve a single space in the gallery to post your finished blocks: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=278288.0
Smiley If you have any general qeustions, you can post here, ask your group leader or ask me.
Smiley Please remember to include a return address label with your fabric packages and pack it all in a plastic bag to protect it from the weather.
Smiley All blocks should measure 12.5"x12.5" so that when the quilt is assembled, the finished size is 12" square. Try to be as exact as possible so that the blocks are uniform in size.
Smiley Most of all, HAVE FUN!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009 09:14:23 PM by FlashleyAshley » THIS ROCKS   Logged

audrey1999

I think I have become addicted to quilting.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008 06:37:04 PM »

It is so exciting that signups are up!  I am thinking of doing a lap quilt for my brother and sister-in-law for next Christmas!  I am trying to plan ahead!  Come on and sign up, it is a lot of fun if you enjoy quilting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Attention swap partners! My blog and flickr have spoilers! 
http://audreypawdrey.blogspot.com
LouraPalmr
Seamstress Of Hairspray Beauty Lounge

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008 06:49:04 PM »

yay round 4! pm'ing you now. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"no shirt, no shoes, no dice"

My Etsy - http://www.DevilDogCouture.etsy.com
whoopdedoo_5
I can resist anything...except temptation :P

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008 06:51:33 PM »

yay! I just signed up for all groups! love it! Cant wait for this round and I am gonna start looking for blocks tonight!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FlashleyAshley

mashley forever

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008 07:04:48 PM »

8 swappers already, and only 3 hours in to signups! Keep the questionnaires coming, everyone!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008 08:57:26 PM by FlashleyAshley » THIS ROCKS   Logged

KRB
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008 08:59:10 PM »

I know I wanna! I just sent in my info. This will be my first quilting swap, since I'm fairly new to craftster. Looking forward to it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008 09:39:13 PM »

I really want to do this! I am waiting on feedback for 2 swaps that have been completed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
klum78

Actual size shown

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008 10:56:42 PM »

To join or not to join....  I already have the fabric bought for two more quilts but I still have not put together any of my blocks from the past two rounds.  That's three quilts waiting to be finished.  I can just hear them calling my name right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are in the process of switching over to cloth diapers.  Would love some advice, hint, tips.   Will swap for diapers!
My etsy shop: KimberlyMade
Wisty Goodness
chinarockfishakm

Ralphie Jr. (Christmas Story)

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008 04:51:54 AM »

I loved making all the blocks for the 50 state swap (48 of them) so I should enjoy this. I need to move on to another block though. 48 of the same block is tedious:-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft-ish Blog: http://notimeforcrafting.blogspot.com/

Anyone wanna help a good cause and buy a sonography class cookbook so I can go to a seminar in September? They are $15 alone, and $20 with handmade potholders. PM me!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 56 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creating One-Click Recipes of Your Favorite Photoshop Effects
How to Draw Eeyore from Winnie The Pooh
How to Draw El Matador from Supa Strikas
How to Draw Family Guy Characters
How to Draw Figma Black Gold Saw from Black Rock Shooter
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...