A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,194
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Freedom Toast" gone French  (Read 642 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 16, 2012 08:24:03 AM »

*disclaimer* no offence to anyone French who knows real stuff. I only know American and I will willingly admit to my ignorance.

Don't you hate how we Americans are making everything stupid? I mean, growing up I had French toast, but now they are calling it "Freedom toast" and I say what a load of crap! I love French toast. Slather it in whipped cream and strawberries, stuff it, oh man! And in college I taught my [now] husband how to make it so every few weeks he will whip up some eggs, toss in some bread, and pan grill it and damn, we got some good French Toast.

But that's not what I did this time so I'm going to use the stupid "politically correct" version and say it went French. Here's why: It's make with all French stuff.

I got The French Slower Cooker by Michele Scicolone last week and last night I made Chicken with Tarragon, Mustard, and Cream. It was really good, though I messed it up by serving it with some ill-prepared mashed potatoes. But the sauce was awesome and I decided to save it for today.

This morning I heated up the left over sauce (it was a little gelatinous, thank you chicken thighs) and mixed in a couple eggs. Then I dipped pre-sliced "French Bread" from Albertson's in it and tossed that in a hot buttered griddle.

So savory. Oh my, it's amazing! It's perfect. Much better than generic white bread in eggs with cinnamon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
thisbirdsabsurd

Be Happy!

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012 08:33:14 AM »

Haha - I have never heard of "Freedom Toast" - it's apparently still French in California - but your version looks deliciously different!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
new_bee
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012 01:50:55 PM »

Okay, this is really funny Cheesy In Germany we call this 'Arme Ritter', which translates to 'Poor Knights', because apparently it was the posh way to use up old bread. And a quick search revealed that it is called 'Pain Perdu' - 'Lost Bread' in French.
I had not heard the term 'French Toast' before, but 'Freedom Toast' is strange...  Cheesy

Anyway, these toasts, however they may be called, look very nice and even though I only know them in a sweet version I might try something similar should we ever have left-over sauce.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
- Terry Pratchett -
jexxican

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012 05:43:28 PM »

Hey, Bird, you heard of "Freedom Fries" instead of French fries? I think Americans are trying to deny that they are a conglomerate of every other nation.

But yeah, I've never had savory Toasts either, but it was totally worth it. My kids (5&2) even ate the without wanting for anything sweet on them. I got the idea when I was dipping the bread in the sauce on my dinner plate and was thinking about how good it was just soaked in the stuff and how much better it would be if I could bake it in there somehow... And BAM! Amazing. Now my trouble: How to make the sauce without the slow cooker? It was basically just a runny chicken gravy. Hmm...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Audio Speakers Installed in Hollowed Tree Trunks
Upside Down Fan Built Using a Helicopter
The Freedom Tower Rises: Rebuilding 1 World Trade Center
The Bay Bridge LED Project
Tapping the Crowd to Design a New Kind of Retirement Home
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...