A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,162
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Oopsies: Peeling away silicon moulds on resin  (Read 514 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

purplewitchhazel
Why is there cat fur up my nose?

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2008 02:36:11 PM »

Well as most of you know, i do many crafts. And i decided after seeing all the cool things that can be made, to start on resin craft. Seems quite easy. Little did i know that when you remove your item from a silicon mould, that anything that has touched the mould is matte, not shiny.

Does this make me silly? Well at least i know now  Cheesy I have an excuse, im experimenting lol.

I found tiny little chocolate moulds from a thrift store yesterday, and am absolutely chuffed. I read somewhere that vaseline can be used to line non silicon moulds, or a release spray. Do these affect the surface at all or the way the resin sets?

If anyone's wondering, i bought a two parter called Craft Smart Liquid Gloss (epoxy resin). I swear i went into two of my favourite shops, both times picking up the bottles and saying, nah, i dont really want to spend $25 today, then they sold out days later lol. I ended up going back into 3 stores before having to call up and put some aside!

I don't know of anywhere else that sells this resin that isn't online.

Now i know to put in images on the top facing up, and not on the bottom facing down so i can still have that nice glassy effect and not have the throw the darn thing away.

I'm pretty sure there was a question in there somewhere  Grin

(photos coming one day lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Javalita
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008 07:04:05 AM »

Have you ever tried to maybe spray your matte pieces with this resin finishing spray?  Castin Craft clear gloss finish.  You might be able to save your previous pieces.  I had to sand edges off the back of several of my pieces.  Afterwards they looked cloudy.  One quick spray of that gloss finish and they looked great again.  I got mine at the plastic store, but you can probably order online. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take Headshots
Learn Basic Photography Techniques
How to Do Time Lapse Photography
How to Do a Photobomb
How to Get Pictures from Video
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...