A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pie frenzyyy [as image obese as these pies are going to make me]  (Read 2192 times)
Tags for this thread: pie  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mayyam
« on: November 09, 2008 08:45:55 PM »

soo this summer i went on a pie frenzy and made A LOT of pies. I'll post up some of my favorites!
(now that i'm back and school and without an oven i figured i'd post some stuff up because i miss baking so much!!!)
I don't want to type up all the recipes unless someone asks for a specific one, then i don't mind!
these pies taste great and i've perfected all the recipes!!!

this is the "the first time is special" pie. its an apple pie with a woven top, which is my favorite, and its the first pie i ever made!

the next pie is called "One more and i'll be a housewife" pie. its peach and blueberry with some almonds! yumm
this is by FAR my favorite pie. thats the pre cooked inside, and for this one i also made a woven top as well.

the next pie is called "lets pretend like we're eating healthy while still eating pie" pie. its a veggie pie.

mama pie and baby pie i made: (pre-cooked..i accidentally bought wheat flower..it kinda tasted weird, but it was alright)

pecan pie for my dads birthday:

me posing with my most recent creation!

thanks for viewing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like what you see check out my etsy shop!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6683661
CandidCrocheter

<3Live Fast<3Die Pretty<3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008 09:29:27 PM »

i would LOVE the "one more and i'll be a housewife" pie recipe. i am also a Pie freak. i don't think there are many of us. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ninjanator
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008 04:50:45 PM »

ack - your pecan pie looks delicious! a pretty please for the recipe?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
Kaissa
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008 06:31:25 PM »

oh wow, those all look so good. I debated all day whether or not to make an apple pie - you've inspired me! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
k8tbaby
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008 07:10:57 AM »

I would also love the "one more and i'll be a housewife" recipe.
I am a pie fanatic. In fact, birthday cake does not exist in my family. It's all about Birthday pie! My birthday is in Feb and every year, for the past 15 years, my mom has frozen a peach pie in Aug/Sept when the peaches are in season, and brought it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cory Barton

sea urchin at the tide pools

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008 12:44:49 AM »

oh my, i love pies =D

ive been making pumpkin pies the last couple years from scratch (cooking down my own pumpkin and making my own crust) and its just been extremely fun

the pumpkins i use (cinderella pumpkins, the big fat flat ones) make about 20-25 cups of pumpkin puree each, and my recipe calls for 1 1/4 cup per pie, hah. Needless to say, i can make alot of pies

This year I've already made 9 from my single pumpkin (eight in one day, bringing them back to my dorm after the weekend to many happy hallmates) and i still have over half the puree left in my freezer (a cooking friend of mine will be coming down to my house for thanksgiving, and me and her will be pounding out the pies, hah)

its just so much fun making them =D especially in mass
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For the culture that tolerates shottyness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity and ignores excellence in plumbing because it is a humble activity. This is their fate. Neither their pipes nor its theories will hold water."
Harvey

Here's to inappropriate!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008 12:57:18 AM »

Does crumble count as a pie? I made a fresh apricot crumble tonight for dessert. Yum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mayyam
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008 08:58:26 PM »

aw! thanks for all the kind words and stories. i think i'll just go down the list and reply to everyone in one post.

CandidCrocheter- glad to know there are other pie freaks out there. recipe:

I make my own crusts but i feel like everyone has some type of crust recipe so i'll move on to the filling.
1/3 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
pinch of lemon salt/ or just a bit of lemon juice
almonds
almond and vanilla extract
whipped honey (or obviously regular honey)

mix all that together. star layering peaches and blueberries, and then adding a layer of the mixture. and keep doing that until you have a big sized mound!
it tastes amazing!

ninjanator- this is the recipe i used to make my pecan pie, but next time i'm going to make it, i'm going to make the filling portions a bit larger--maybe add a half more of everything? that way the layer will be thicker and there will be less for the nuts to sink into.
the recipe for the filling:
1 cup corn syrup
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 tsp salt
2 tbsp melted butter
3 eggs
1 1/4 cups pecans!!

Kaissa- how did it come out!?

k8tbaby- ah! i dont have cakes for my birthdays either! pies all the way, and its the first recipe i posted:)

Cory Barton- ah, i'd like a pumpkin pie recipe! i haven't made that pie yet, but i'd love tooooo. pies in mass quantities are the best kind of pies!

Harvey- i think it counts! can i have a recipeeeee?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like what you see check out my etsy shop!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6683661
Cory Barton

sea urchin at the tide pools

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008 12:12:39 PM »

here's my pumpkin pie recipe. i make the pumpkin puree and crust from scratch, though you could probably use store bought fine enough

1 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup evaporated milk
2 tbs water
1/2 tsp vanilla
Preheat oven to 400F. Combine pumpkin, sugar, spices, salt, and flour. Add eggs, mix well. Add milk, water, and vanilla. Pour into an unbaked pie pastry crust (the mix is very liquidy, its normally easier to put the shell in the oven on a cookie sheet and then pour the mix in with a cup). Bake at 400F for 15 minutes, then 350F for 35 minutes.

I make all butter crusts for mine, so thats done from scratch too though I'm sure you could buy crusts.

For the pumpkin puree, canned works, but I make mine from pumpkins. Jack'o'lantern pumpkins won't work right, because the flesh is very watery and not very sugary. Stores sell pumpkin pie/sugar pie pumpkins, which are small, very sweet, and less watery pumpkins. However, they're pretty small for the price, and I've found cinderella pumpkins, the big flat, ugly-ish ones, work great too.

I wash the pumpkin very well, chop it up into smaller sections, clean out the seeds and stringy stuff, then bake on a cookie sheet in the oven at 350-400F until a fork or knife easily goes through the pumpkin sections all the way. Then I let it cool, peel the skin off the sections, and puree the pumpkin all until its consistent. One cinderella can make 20-25 cups of pumpkin in my experience, plenty enough for tons of pies. The puree freezes well too, and I've read online its good in the freezer 3-6 months.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For the culture that tolerates shottyness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity and ignores excellence in plumbing because it is a humble activity. This is their fate. Neither their pipes nor its theories will hold water."
Harvey

Here's to inappropriate!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008 01:11:17 PM »

I didn't use a recipe. What I did was put some sugar and water in a pan and heat it to a syrup. Then I cut up a few apricots and warmed them in the syrup for a few minutes. The syrup didn't quite cover the apricots and the warming meant that the apricots absorbed most of the syrup. I combined sugar, plain flour and butter to make the crumble. I made it so that the crumble didn't quite reach the crumb stage for dryness - so that it wouldn't dry out. I put it in the lower portion of a 200 degree oven until it started to turn golden, about 30min. Served with ice cream.

Sorry about the lack of detail or measurements, but I just threw it together after dinner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cambodian Green Papaya Salad
How to Make Beef Pho Part 2/2
How to Make Beef Pho Part 1/2
How to Make Poori Part 2/3
How to Make Poori Part 1/3
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...