A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,195
Currently Running With Scissors:
549 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Old man sweater and cord skirt **TUTORIAL added**  (Read 9185 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stranglefig

minnesotan aviatrix

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2005 03:21:54 PM »

Hey everyone! Here are the most recent experiments.
This was a $4 old man sweater, which i cut up, sewed back together and resized. There are exposed seams on the front and sleeves and cuffs.
on the floor

on me- not a very flattering pic. it looks better in person, not so chunky-ifying.

detail of exposed seams

here's a skirt made from a pair of tan cords that i cut up and put in this velvety fabric with roses.
front

back

detail of inset

Thanks for looking!

Hey guys! I had to resurrect this post to make the tutorial for the skirt maybe someone will still be interested. Anyway, hope this makes some kind of sense. .. Im horrible at tutorials.

1. Using an old pair of pants, make the basic jeans-to-skirt reconstruction. (If you haven't done this before, there are tons of tutorials on craftster or at www.ohmystars.net) However, DON'T make the triangles to fill in the front and back center-seam gaps. You don't need to hem it either.

2. Now figure out what size you want your little inset triangles to be. These have a name, I'm sure, but I don't know it. Mine were 3 1/4 inches tall and 1 1/2 inches wide. To figure out how tall these should be, just go with how long the triangle to fill in the front and back gap triangles of your basic recon skirt would be. To figure out the widths you just have to guess and check a little to see what will look good- err on the side of being too big. Your back and front center triangles will have different widths because they have to follow the shape of the skirt.

3. Cut the triangle inset pieces from your contrasting fabric in this shape, leaving room for hem and seam allowances (about 1/2 inch all around):

4. Rip the side seams of the pants about 1/2 inch further than the height of the inset. Then cut the 4 slits where you're putting the insets in the front and back, up to about an inch above the height of your insets. Now you should have 8 places for the inset triangles (including the front and back center triangles, the split side seams, and the four new splits.)

5. Turn the skirt inside out. Fold at the blue center line, so that the right sides of the fabric are together, with the slit on the folded edge. On each of the slits, sew a dart-like little line (the pink line) to make it possible to fold over and sew the fabric on either side of the slit so it won't fray. Umm, see diagram, i hope it clears this up.

4. With the skirt still inside out, fold over the two flaps (shown in yellow). Sew these down using a matching thread. Then whip out your inset and pin it in place in the triangular, hemmed slit that you have made. Pin it down and sew around the edges. Repeat with other insets until all of them are inserted.

5. Hem the bottom and youre done!

This is probably a confusing tutorial. I had trouble trying to express what I did since I dont really know sewing terms if you have questions, ask away, Ill try to clear up any confusion.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009 07:20:18 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic
blonde pavement
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005 04:26:05 PM »

I LOVE THAT SKIRT!!!!!!! the shirts cute too, though. you've inspired me. how did you know how much to cut so id didnt flip out too much? Its amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Freeze, you've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation to the sequel of your life"
ilovegenewilder
chair pirate yo!

harry potter release party.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005 08:57:21 PM »

I LOVE THE SWEATER! i think it looks fine on you! ohh its so cute! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I write songs!!! http://www.myspace.com/myfutureself

please listen =]
cowgirl

I get lazy sometimes...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005 09:01:42 PM »

how did you do the skirt? tutorial? I have some cords that look wierd on me and I would like to make into a skirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chakakana
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005 06:51:16 AM »

love love the sweater too !...  urban outfitters would sell something like that for $50 (probably more) !!  good job !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chewing gum is really gross.  chewing gum i hate the most.
wonderful smith is the band that i am in
cats_pajamas
Certified Weirdo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005 10:02:53 AM »

sexy sexy sexy SEXY!! I  L-O-V-E it!!!! that serousely looks like something you could find a urban outfitters or other cool stors like that. But the fact that you made it makes it all the more awsome!!!! I love the color of the sweater, and I know that it sounds weird, but the insert fabric of the skirt remids me of my cats fav toy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moxro
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005 12:37:17 PM »

i love the sweater, my dad has a bunch of cool sweaters he never wears i'll go cut them up now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mariska

play's the thing ;)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005 01:30:19 PM »

nice job on that sweater!! really like it! and as mentioned before, it does look good on you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

think outside the box
come home andrea
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005 01:47:43 PM »

i really love your sweater! and it really looks great on you too!

<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stranglefig

minnesotan aviatrix

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005 01:32:27 PM »

thanks everyone! you guys are so nice.
actually the sweater was modeled after this shirt i saw on the Urban Outfitters website...

when I went back to look at it after i finished this i realized they are totally different, but oh well.
as for the skirt, I cut little slits for the insert and stretched to fabric to see how wide the triangles should be without looking wierd... i just kind of played around, pinning them first to see if it looked ok. i can't wait to wear it but it snowed last night, so i guess i'll have to wait a bit longer. i'll try to post a tute for the skirt later if people are interested.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nikki Sixx Talks About Heroin Diaries Part 4
Donald Trump Talks About Think Like a Champion
Perils of Pursuing a Prince Book Trailer
The Book of Spam Book Trailer Part 2
Jerry Falwell Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...