A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,102
Currently Running With Scissors:
517 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Some glass jewelry I made  (Read 1020 times)
Tags for this thread: glassblowing  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Knitwitch
« on: November 17, 2008 08:56:58 PM »

So, my school has a really cool workshop which has some lamps for working glass.  The guys who run the shop don't really know what to do with them, but there's a glassblowing club which insures funding for stuff like glass to work with and all that.  Anywho, another student who's really adept offered some classes this year, so I learned how to make marbles!  I've had to stop going to the classes, but in my spare time I've been working on my own projects.  One of the first things I did after mastering clear marbles is to make teardrop charms.  The first one was a marble gone wrong, actually.
Well, I've gotten much better at it, so I decided to make my grandmother some jewelry for her birthday.

For this set I made one larger teardrop pendant and two itty-bitty ones.  The loops on the earring bits are shaped slightly differently because of the way they hang on the posts.  I bought the posts, chain, and clasp pieces from Michaels and assembled the necklace myself. (I used to make chain-mail jewelry, so this was super-duper easy)

Here's my friend, Andy, modeling the necklace for me.  You can sort of make out his beard at the top of the pic  Grin

Sorry these next few are a bit blurry: it's hard to photograph clear glass!  This is a close-up of the necklace pendant.

Blurry earrings.  You can tell they aren't exactly identical, but I got pretty close I think.  I ended up with three and these two looked similar enough that I decided to call it quits.  I don't know what to do with the spare, maybe I'll put it in my dreads  Wink

So, after I finished making the pieces for my grandma, I decided to play with colorful glass a bit.  This was not my first attempt, merely my first successful one.  In the past I have come very close with a lovely gray glass, a lovely pink one, and various others.  The gray was my favorite, but it kept exploding.  Anyway, this turned out well pretty much by luck I think.  It also has the neatest stem of any piece I've made to date!

This was also difficult to get non-blurry pictures of  Embarrassed  I didn't make this chain, it's just one I already had lying around.

This is a bad picture, but it gives you an idea of the color.  And you can almost make out how tiny and neat the stem is  Grin

Here I am, modeling the necklace.  Isn't it sparkly and pretty  Cheesy?

Sorry for all the pics, I'm really proud of these pieces though.  Comments are welcome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Capt_Jordi

Beachin it up!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008 09:29:05 PM »

those are sooo pretty! I really like the 2nd necklace!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinky Yarn
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008 08:29:34 AM »

Those are soooo neat. You should be proud of them, they're gorgeous. I love love love the last one. I wanna play with glass.  Cry  I have this obsession with store bought marbles. My boyfriend plays with making chain-mail stuff, mostly when he's fidgeting and theres some wire and a knitting needle laying around. I really like how you put them together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay finally done moving!

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help'." - Ronald Reagan
Hippie9

The Mythical and Magical Seahorse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008 07:06:06 PM »

Those are very delicate and pretty, especially in the last picture (you can see it the best in that one, I think :-)

Excellent work and I admire anyone who works ocer an open flame!

I took a 4 hour intreo to glass fusing last night and I'll post the pics when I get my pieces back. Working with glass is so satisfying because of the relative ease in making something beautiful and the availability of all those great colours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kim

My blog/showcase of my crafts:  http://kimmadecrafts.blogspot.com/
delfina
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008 07:00:31 AM »

Very nice! I love the necklace with the large clear pendant the best I think, but they're all great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://youcraft.org -- free crafts classifieds
http://www.etsy.com/shop/DelfinaV -- Etsy shop
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Basic Tips for Operating a Monster Puppet
How to Make Plant Markers Out of Spoons
Capri Style Table Decoration
How to Dress Your Table with Bread and Nuts
Center of the Table Decoration
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...