A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hemming jersey fabric?  (Read 10349 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LittlePinkSock
« on: November 09, 2008 01:04:05 PM »

I mostly use jersey when I sew clothing, but I have all these dresses and shirts laying around, never worn because I can't figure out how to hem them nicely.

How can I hem jersey fabric (especially the really thin and lightweight stuff!) without it getting all wavy, like lettuce?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marieC
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008 05:19:31 PM »

I either band it or just don't hem it.  Jersey won't fray, so just make a really nice careful cut and you're done.  Suits the lazy part of me just fine.

I hear an overlock machine will hem jersey, but I don't have one or know anyone who does, so who knows.  All the stuff you buy was hemmed with an overlock machine, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A state of confusion is unpleasant, but a state of certainty is ridiculous.  - Voltaire.
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008 05:26:19 PM »

A walking foot would work.  Or you could try putting a tear-away stabilizer with it (try a few scraps to get the feel of it, and of tearing it off without breaking stitches).  Or, as marieC said, just cut it carefully, and leave it like that.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008 05:35:03 AM »

My favorite at home way is to use a twin needle. It creates that t-shirt look while still letting it be stretchy and not needing an overlocker. I have hand hemmed jersey because I didn't want the hem to announce itself like that, but I wanted it to look finished.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MollyGirl
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008 06:47:12 AM »

I sometimes use the wonderunder hem tape just to hold the fabric together and then sew it with a twin needle.  Works every time :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog.
Jack London

View my wists http://www.wists.com/mollygirl
LittlePinkSock
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008 09:56:27 AM »

Thanks, all very good advice. I will certainly look into twin needle sewing and if I find out I know someone with an overlocker, I'll try that, too. Sounds WAY too expensive for my budget!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elphelba
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008 11:31:54 PM »

I'll have to try the twin needle, that sounds like a really nifty idea. I've always used a zigzag stitch (test on some scrap first though to get the settings right) and if the fabric is patterned or textured you really can't see it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008 03:22:53 PM »

A twin needle creates a zig zag on the back and two straight lines on the front, so make sure to have the front facing up when you sew it. I have started to sew something before and realized I had the wrong side up. It seems more natural for me to have the wrong side up so that I can see the edge I'm sewing, but with a twin needle you need to have the right side up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LittlePinkSock
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008 07:03:25 AM »

Can anyone tell me how to use two needles like that? I know my sewing machine is supposed to have that function, but I got it used so there's no manual.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amarok
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008 01:59:26 PM »

the twin needle is actually a needle that has one end and two needles! so you have to especially go to the sewing-stuff-store and buy one! my manual was very vague about the twin needle-stuff, so i asked my mom and she told me. (damn what a bad manual! it has other shortcomings, too!) -- so you put it in your machine just like a regular needle.

once i got that problem out of the way, the road ahead looked much clearer. but now i can't remember where i put the twin needle i bought.......

they're more expencive than regular ones, and ask the shopkeeper to give you a correct one; tell her/him what kind of fabric you will be using it for. i almost got the wrong kind, because i didn't specify my needs from the start Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is "Susitaika"? Susi is Wolf and Taika is Magic in Finnish.. Come and find out more!

www.susitaika.com

Free embroidery designs at www.susitaika.com/freebies.html

http://susitaika.com/shop for all your shopping needs
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Use A Camera In After Effects
How to Outline Fonts in Adobe Illustrator
How to Correct Color using Photoshop Lab Space
Chang Color of Sky in Photoshop using Selective Color
How to Create a Gold Text Effect in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...