A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Seattle Wall Decal  (Read 4745 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crystabrittany

my 4-year-old cousin is my idol.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 09, 2008 10:10:16 AM »

At the beginning of September, I moved from my beloved Seattle to central Pennsylvania.  Although PA is lovely, I miss Seattle greatly.  I also moved into an apartment with large expanses of white walls, unable to be painted (thanks, landlord).  I had one particular wall, which faced my bed, which just ached for something awesome.  So I came Crafster searching, and was assailed with awesome ideas.  I saw a post (which of course I now can't find to give proper credit) of someone doing these really awesome ravens on their walls in black contact paper.  Ah ha! 

I started by doing a rough sketch of what the Seattle skyline looks like, and how it would look in silhouette.   

I measured it and saw that it was about 3.5" x 5", and I figured I could just make those into feet and that'd be big enough.  (PS, that's REALLY big, but I wouldn't figure that out until later.)  At this stage in the game, I was also planning a plain black border around it, like a frame.  So I made a grid from which to work.

Next came the tedious task of transferring the grid to the back of my contact paper.  This was made all the more tedious by my forgetting that I needed to draw it in reverse, so I had to erase the original drawing and do it all over again.  For the first drawing, I just drew the entire bottom row - so that's five feet of contact paper by one foot. 

Hilarity ensued when I tried to put up that five foot strip of contact paper.  Luckily it peels right off and you can put it on again. 

I already started to ditch the exactness of the grid, as some things were just solid black for two grid blocks high, so I just cut them that way once instead of doing two separate ones that I'd have to match up edge to edge.  But I still used my grid as a map.

For instance, good ol' Smith Tower, there, spanned two grid blocks.  No way was I going to cut those out separately and try to attach them.  So it went up as one giant piece.  This means that there's actually a bit of overlap on the piece itself, which I can sort of see when the light hits it right, but oh well.

Mount Rainer makes an appearance... clearly this silhouette is from somewhere on the edge of Queen Anne or something.

And finally, today, the Space Needle rose into view.

Here's a view with my bed involved so you can get an idea of the scale.  And how cute my cat is.  (He was surprisingly well behaved...kept his "destroy crafts" impulses under wraps for once.)

Now I see Seattle every day, even when it's 3000 miles away.  :0)

(In retrospect, I find that the Space Needle's spaceship part is a little too round on the top for my liking.  I may go in with an exacto knife and fix that later, but for now it's going to live just like that.)

Thanks again to whomever had those awesome ravens perched on their doorways!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008 10:14:16 AM »

this is a really great idea, executed amazingly.  does the contact paper peel on the edges at all?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
crystabrittany

my 4-year-old cousin is my idol.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008 10:16:38 AM »

No, not at all.  And when I was putting it up, if I put it wonky, I could just peel it off and put it somewhere else.  The only downside of that was that it got really charged up with static and was harder to work with, but nothing disastrous.

I took a small piece and tested it on my wall for two weeks before putting this up, and it stayed and then peeled up just fine with no marks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

twonderland
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008 10:24:48 AM »

Very awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ahoy Sailor!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008 10:42:34 AM »

what an awesome idea!! looks great. and yeah, hate my landlord for the same reason, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Solitaire

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008 12:04:42 PM »

That is absolutely fabulous and since I live in Seattle right now .. I recognize that skyline! You did a great job on this. My landlord is the same way .. no painting ... so I think I may have to give contact paper a go in my room!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Craft, Therefore, I AM!  )O(
borg.borg

"it's a tricorder, miles.. but not as we know it."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008 12:11:41 PM »

i was born in port townsend and moved to olympia with my family while in middle school, seattle trips were frequent since i have an aunt who lives there and they became more frequent after friends moved there to go to college.
now i live in portland and don't get to venture up quite often. reading about how far away you moved makes me feel grateful that i'm only a 3 hour drive away.

beautifully done on the decal. i'd leave the space needle the way it is, it gives it character!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ohyouprettythings
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008 12:15:50 PM »

This came out wonderfully.  Awesome idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's smart not to eat anything you find in a mirror.

www.overandover.etsy.com
breemonkey
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008 12:34:12 PM »

Awesome!  What a cool idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is too short to finish boring WIPs.
pandaz
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008 12:52:51 PM »

where did you get black contact paper?! i cant find it ANYWHERE
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Styling Curly Hair: From Wet to Set
Getting Salon Style Extensions At Home
2013 Summer Hair Trend: Medium Length Cuts
How to Style 1920s Short Hair
Hair Care Tips for Aging and Thinning Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...