A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,073
Currently Running With Scissors:
508 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Boys Outfit from Mens Shirt! *IMG HEAVY*  (Read 4410 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GelinaJo
I'm More Crafty Than I thought!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 08, 2008 09:14:12 AM »

Hi Everyone!
So I came up with an idea the other night and made my creation last night. I don't know if anyone else has done this or not..but I thought of it on my own Smiley I have been browsing tutorials and trying to find cute boy outfits to make for my 19 month old son. There are soooo many adorable ideas and dresses for little girls but the boys ideas seem to be very limited.. so I saw the tutorial to make dresses from mens dress shirts and came up with and idea to make it into a one piece outfit with long pants and short sleeves for my son. I like to layer clothes and this way he can wear it in the winter with a long sleeve shirt underneath and in the summer just the way it is Smiley I didn't use a pattern, I just layed a one piece outfit on top of the shirt, matched up the shoulders and cut around it adding about 1/2" to it for seams. I still have to hem the pant legs but wanted to try it on him first to check the length and such.. but here it is so far Smiley Please tell me what you think! Oh.. and Please excuse the wet drool marks.. he's teething! The shirt isn't stained.. just drooled on! Comments are appreciated Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

CayceeMae
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008 09:23:24 AM »

I know exactly what you mean!! I just have a boy (almost 1!) and i am forever getting sidetracked by all the cute girls outfits when i'm searching for boys stuff!
I really like this!! it's very cute!! i think i might have to attempt this... hmmm hubby bought a cool western shirt that's just too small and can't be bothered to return it! Yeah for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nemejia
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008 09:32:37 AM »

looks great! I'm curious as to the construction, do the buttons just go to the waist? how did you d the legs, do they have spas or are they sewn?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Munora
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008 09:38:46 AM »

That's so cute. What a great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not what you know, but what you do with what you know that is important.
elizabethn
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008 10:07:29 AM »

That's darling! I love the idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elizabethsdailyfashion.blogspot.com
elizabethnormand.etsy.com
wists.com/elizabethn
SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008 10:18:39 AM »

what a great idea!  this looks adorable and really comfy!  My SIL is having twin boys! this March and this would be a great idea for them!  great job Wink Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
GelinaJo
I'm More Crafty Than I thought!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008 10:44:17 AM »

I'm so glad everyone likes this idea so far! As far as the crotch and leg seams go I did just sew them shut. Picture a mens dress shirt with the buttons going right down the middle...the buttons on this outfit go all the way to the crotch. I was thinking about adding snaps or button in the leg area for easier diaper changing access, but decided against it because I wasn't sure if this idea would even work, this was my first try! Also now that he is 19 months old, I don't have to change him every 30 mins anymore! I was thinking of adding buttons by the shoulders to be able to take it on an off that way...but the buttons in the front were already there and really it's not that big of a pain to take on and off.. just unbutton the top few and it comes right off his shoulders and down easily Smiley I got this shirt for $1 at the thrift store it's a mens Medium size. I also bought another that is a mens XL brand new with tags still on it! I am thinking I might have to take in the neck/collar on that one so it's not too big...thinking maybe of just cutting the back piece in half and taking it in a bit so there would be a seam going down the back...or maybe just making the collar smaller.. anyone have any ideas???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aliped

Only dead fish go with the flow ....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008 11:45:17 AM »

Wow!!That is an absoloutely adorable little outfit and a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008 11:59:10 AM »

I was wondering how the collar would turnout. It looks great, and the sizing doesn't look off at all. I love the colors of the shirt you chose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

llisaredd
While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats. - Mark Twain

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008 12:09:35 PM »

This is a fabulous idea for a boy's outfit! Great execution and design Cheesy I love the colors as well. Kudos all around on this Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create an Origami Pig
How to Create an Origami Water Bomb
How to Create an Origami Peacock
How to Create Origami Star
How to Create an Origami Christmas Tree
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...