A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,245
Currently Running With Scissors:
780 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Slouchy Bag**TUTORIAL** (super pic heavy!!!)  (Read 5240 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lolspeak
« on: November 07, 2008 08:57:09 PM »

I made this super awesome bag today.  i made the pattern myself (im pretty proud of it!) 
anyway...its a big slouchy messenger with a magnetic snap and swivel hook closure.  finished size is 12"x15". 
it doesnt have any pockets in it yet, because i just decided i wanted them...but im going to recon a pocket from another bag and sew it in soon.  i put a piece of cardboard in the bottom to keep the shape for now until i find a better solution.  The whole thing took about 4 or 5 hours to make not including drafting the pattern and stuff like that.  i reconed the swivel hook and the future pocket from a bag i never use Smiley

Front...i had to hang it from my window because my doors were too low, lol!

a little closer

heres the back:

On to the TUTORIAL!!!!...this is my first tutorial ever...so parts might be missing or not make any sense, im sorry! if you have questions just ask and feel free to add comments if you know of an easier way to do something or notice that i missed something, i'd really appreciate it!! Cheesy

What you need:
outer and lining or accent fabric
1 yard heavy cotton strapping
1 yard 7/8" cotton webbing
magnetic snap
d-ring
swivel hook
...i hope im not missing anything!

cut 2 17"wx16"h pieces of outer and lining fabric...and 2 of outer and lining  2"x13" rectangles:[/url]

measure heavy cotton strapping for however long you want the handle to be...mine was 1 yard.  then measure a piece of lining or accent fabric that is 1" longer and 1/2" wider.  and stitch right sides together 1/4" seam on both sides.

then turn it inside out and pull the strapping through it.  top stitch however you want.  set aside.
(midway through turning inside out)

(top stitching and finished strap)

do the same process for the smaller straps that hook together as a closure.  i used 7/8" cotton webbing so it would be softer and more flexible.  the bottom strap is 6" long finished.  i left about an inch of casing empty so it wouldnt be so bulky turning it under to attatch the d-ring and swivel hook.  i used 32" of strap for the top one...but didnt need nearly that much.  i trimmed it down after the rest of the bag was finished.

this is what you should have so far..

stitch the skinnier straps to the outer fabric.  put the d-ring on the smaller one before you stitch it down.  the small one goes on the front of your bag and the long one goes on the back...stop stitching the back one about 2 inches from the top.

now you stitch the 2"x13" rectangles onto the outer and lining fabrics...right in the middle of them.

then stitch the sides and bottom of the small rectangles of the outer fabric and the lining fabric together to start forming the bag...right sides together!!
then box the bottom of the bag by putting the corners together(if that made any sense...), like so:

attach the magnetic snaps to the lining now where you want them to go:

now you put all the pieces together.  turn the outside inisde out and put the strap in and then the lining.  the strap should be between the outside and lining and they should have right sides together.  sorry i dont have a picture of that, but you can probably find directions about how to put a lining in on another tutorial somewhere..

you should have left a hole in the bottom of the lining to pull the bag through...do that so its all right side out now

then close the hole and push the lining into the outer part...press the top to make it look nice and top stitch around the whole thing. 
if you havent done it already you can put the swivel hook onto the longer strap and cut it to however long you want it to be.

your bag should be done now, i hope!

sorry if some of this doesnt make sense...i'll try to clear it up if you tell me about it.  comments and criticism are alwaysssss welcomed, encouraged, and appreciated!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noisy_penguin
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008 10:13:44 PM »

Wow, great job! I really like how that turned out, and your fabric is great too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honeythief
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008 03:01:40 AM »

What a lovely bag - the fabric is just great.  I look forward to trying out the tutorial Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Jenny
Cindy3539
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008 04:29:48 AM »

Nice!  I like the swivel hook strap on the front - very creative.  I look forward to trying to make one myself.  Thanks for the instructions, that was nice of you to include.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quiltgrl
fabric addict

Faaaabulous!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008 06:03:21 AM »

beautiful! thanks for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

runnermom100863

Sew like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008 01:15:28 PM »

I absolutely love this bag...the style, the fabric, the closure, shape, everything!  Thanks so much for the tut...it's already been bookmarked!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss my doggy~Apollo~He'll forever be in my heart

my etsy shop ~ www.lillaka.etsy.com
MegVS
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008 06:19:38 PM »

Nice job and it looks like a good tutorial!  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my ETSY shop: http://mvansciver.etsy.com
I carry lots of fun patterns!

My new blog: http://fashionedbymeg.blogspot.com
quiltgrl
fabric addict

Faaaabulous!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008 07:38:53 PM »

thanks for the tute!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Solsisters
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008 02:17:58 PM »

I love this closure idea! I borrowed it for this neat bag I made last night. A Flick of the Wrist is made with fabric that was hand spattered by my daughter.

See more at my blog: http://solsisters.blogspot.com/2008/12/flick-of-wrist-art-bag.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lolspeak
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008 03:55:25 PM »

both of those bags are sooo cute!!! im glad i could help!!  i like the smaller one, i've been wanting to make a smaller one but my sewing room is unuseable right now.  we're remodeling it Smiley its almost done, hopefully i'll get one done and post it soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Long Hairstyles for Round Faces
The Best Long Haircuts With Side Bangs
How to Finger Wave Long Hair
How to Tease Long Hair
How to Do a Long Half Up Half Down Style
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...