A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,904
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: resin ear plugs [gauges] and resin rings  (Read 13321 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

miss catbread

there's a party in my tummy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 07, 2008 08:29:07 AM »

hey everyone. i havent posted here in a while since i havent crafted in a while since school and life got pretty hectic but now that things have slowed down a bit, i have gotten back into doing crafts that i can use and i had been wanting to try making resin plugs as i love changing what i wear in my ears but its so expensive to buy new ones, so here are my first goes at these.

blue sparkle

they are round, i promise!

copper glitter

copper glitter again

me wearing the silver glitter and jewel ones...i have to practice these more because the jewels sort of sank in...

throw away resin? nahhh just pour it into my old resin molds and throw in some shells that i had collected and a ring backing and voila!

another

c+c welcome! please tell me what you think! its good to be back, craftster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aquilla da Hun

Mommys Little Monsters

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008 08:40:14 AM »

i love the plugs i hate to spend the money on them also.

what did you use as a mold? did you make one possibly out of clay.

oh any help would be appreciated. I have never played with resin but i am going to make my first attempt hopefully this month!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Show me a man with a tattoo and I'll show you a man with an interesting past.  ~Jack London

Our bodies are our gardens, -to which our wills are gardeners!   ~William Shakespeare
miss catbread

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008 09:05:21 AM »

clay will not work. you need to use something that is flexible and that the resin wont seep into. you can use a 2 part rtv silicone putty that stays soft (you can get this at Utrecht) or make a slip mold by getting liquid silicone and doing a layer mold where you pour 1 layer on a at time to build up the mold...

or do what i did and use this stuff called amazing putty, which makes awesome flexible reusable molds Cheesy
http://www.amazingmoldputty.com/

lol that stuff is win. sorry, i had to be elusive like many people on here are when you ask them how they did something Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aquilla da Hun

Mommys Little Monsters

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008 09:46:43 AM »

haha thanks. thanks for sharing. i really do appreciate it. heck i might never even get to make them. i told my bf about them and he was all concerned about the resin being in my ears. (like if they should be sealed or something)

have you ever had any problems?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Show me a man with a tattoo and I'll show you a man with an interesting past.  ~Jack London

Our bodies are our gardens, -to which our wills are gardeners!   ~William Shakespeare
miss catbread

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008 11:00:13 AM »

my ears have been stretched since i was 16 [im 29 now] so they have been pretty much healed Smiley and ive had all sorts of stuff in my ears; resin, acrylic, fimo, wood, bone, steel etc and i haven't had any reaction to anything except the wood made my ears a bit itchy. you can seal them  if you really want to. resin is just plastic and they make all sorts of jewelry out of resin that touches skin- bracelets, pendants, rings etc. the skin inside your HEALED ear hole is the same as any other. just make sure that you are clean and you take care of your holes just like you would any other part of your body...wash it with soap and water and clean the jewelry. you should have no problems. but just because i haven't doesnt mean you wont so test it out. your ear isnt going to fall off or anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LauraNewkirk
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011 08:47:44 PM »

Thank you so much for your info on how to make these awesome gauges. I've been trying to find the right medium to replicate gauges so I can make my own and give them to friends. I checked out the silicone puddy and will probably use this. Thanks again. I've spent a couple of weeks researching the best way to reproduce these gauges!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What You Need to Change About Your Hair Routine This Winter
How to Do a Plaited Updo
Sleek Ponytail Hair Tutorial
How To Get "Sombre" and Balayage Hair
The Best Hair Treatments You Can Buy or DIY
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...