A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 315,691
Currently Running With Scissors:
358 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stitch tension screwed up  (Read 688 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bolshy Walshy.
« on: November 07, 2008 07:47:17 AM »

Okay, lets say the blue is the fabric, the green is the underneath stiches, and the red is the top stitches - why do the red stitches do this?

Any way that I adjust the tension wheel, it's fine for the first few stitches, then it just ends up as a line of string, with the underneath stitches going all the way through the fabric.
Then the fabric gets wrinkly and I stop sewing out of frustration.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008 07:50:35 AM by Bolshy Walshy. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps, PM me Smiley

Would be willing to swap nearly anything for 30's-50's women's dress patterns, waist 26"
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008 08:07:15 AM »

You didn't mention the make or model of sewing machine, but I suspect that your upper thread is catching on something (like the edge of the thread spool).

Start by completely, carefully and methodically re-threading the machine wit the presser foot UP until you get to the needle.

Once the machine is re-threaded you'll have to apply some analytical observation to spot the problem in the thread path.

If you fnd the problem is the thread catching on the spool, try flipping the spool around and make certain that you have a piece of spool felt under it if it is a vertical spool pin.  If it is a horizontal sppol pin, make sure you use the cap on top of the spool that came with the machine. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008 08:33:07 AM »

And after you've done all that, change the needle. Not logical, but it often works.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008 08:53:45 AM »

Actually, that's very logical.  The eye of the needle can develope a grove, burr or worn spot from the friction of the thread or even be defective from the get go.  These issues will prevent the thread from passing through smoothly and can lead to broken threads and funky stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008 10:11:37 AM »

It could also be the bobbin tension, you could be loading the bobbin incorrectly, or the tension of the bobbin case might need tightening, about a quarter of a turn of the little screw. it is also possible that you have a little lint in the bobbin case that is throwing off the tension
THIS ROCKS   Logged

personal swaps...yes please

you know you want to...go on go on go on

www.pinterest.com/edelc
EKO

http://ekoscraftylife.blogspot.com/

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008 11:14:25 AM »

It could also be the bobbin tension, you could be loading the bobbin incorrectly, or the tension of the bobbin case might need tightening, about a quarter of a turn of the little screw. it is also possible that you have a little lint in the bobbin case that is throwing off the tension
This is usaly the problem for me when i have that problem
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit me at my blog
http://ekoscraftylife.blogspot.com/

Current swaps
sss23- all sent and all received.
Bolshy Walshy.
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008 08:28:08 AM »

Thankyou very much, I've had this problem for ages, it's driving me mad. I'll check tonight Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps, PM me Smiley

Would be willing to swap nearly anything for 30's-50's women's dress patterns, waist 26"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Eating at a Japanese Family in Tokyo
Cucumber Raita Recipe
How to Make Vegetable Biryani
Homemade Won Ton Dumplings
How to Cook Sauteed Ginger Shrimp
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...