A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,386
Currently Running With Scissors:
737 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday November 7th 2008  (Read 6583 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

icemelon
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008 11:01:38 AM »

This was my first time plying with thread, and also using tinsel.
About 70 yards and 2.5 ounces. Thick and think with a few massive slubs here and there!

Wool, angelina, firestar, tinsel and clear thread.

I'm thinking an appropriate name for it would be punk rock star or something.
It was quite a challenge to myself to actually let the yarn be so thick in areas! I love the bounciness of it though, this would make an AWESOME hat!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008 11:02:51 AM by icemelon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LindsayLuu
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008 12:00:25 PM »

everyone made some fantastic stuff this week! Welcome to all the new spinners!  I'm back at the wheel after a few months away due to my wedding and such.  I the past two weeks I've managed to:

1. buy a drum carder
2. break my wheel the same day the drum carder arrives
3. fix my wheel.
4 break my drum carder.

So, I'm good at breaking things, but i should have my carder back in a few days...

ok, so the yarn will be on the next post.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LindsayLuu
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008 12:06:09 PM »

This one is some apalca I got in a wishlist swap last year.  I was waiting until i could card it easier.  It's blended with some peach colored Corriedale, bulky weight. It's called "Rustic Apalca"

this is what happens when you throw all of your scraps into the carder and then spin them up.  Scraps mixed with white mill ends and white "faux cashmere". It's called "Leftovers"

Here's a few more, sorry for the smaller pics, I'm at work and I don't have all of them with me.  The three that are 2-ply are merino, the singles is corriedale, all dyed by me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ignorantamoeba

Hazel and Agnes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008 12:14:05 PM »

Yay I actually have yarn to show off today!

The first is a natural black Jacob wool... I believe there are 260 yards here?  I forget.
There is some blue sparkle that I threw in just for kicks, but there aren't that many

The next is my favorite, handdyed by me with my new acid dyes!!
I don't have the label for the fiber content... I feel like it is corriedale and some other stuff?  136 yds, sport weight,

And this is some more dyed roving... I haven't spun it all up yet, though.

Does anyone know of a good resource for learning how to best achieve vibrant colors using Jacquard Acid Dye? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kirastorm
storms of creativity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008 12:57:38 PM »

this is my first fiber friday!

still on the spindle because today i am going to measure it and wind it into a skein

i'm calling it easter dreams!

everyones stuff is gorgeous!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

living with an inferno doesn't mean it has to swallow you whole, you just have to know when to feed the flames.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=38663
cloudlover

I should be spinning...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008 01:25:52 PM »

Does anyone know of a good resource for learning how to best achieve vibrant colors using Jacquard Acid Dye? 

I use Jacquard dyes one of two ways: either painting the roving (like how you did in that picture) or dyeing solid colors in a pot.  When painting, I use hair dye applicator bottles from the beauty store- 8 oz ones- and use about 1/4 tsp of dye and then fill the bottle full of vinegar.  The amt of dye powder can be varied depending on how dark/light you want the color.  I tend to use at least double that amt for blacks and reds.  When I dye solid colors, I do about 6-8 oz at a time in a large pot full of water, and add 1-2 tsp dye powder and a splash of vinegar.  It takes some experimentation with different colors and different amounts of dye to figure out what you like!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008 02:36:26 PM »

everyone's yarns are so beautiful! I wish I had things to show this week but life has been quite difficult as of late, will have a few new ones I hope this next week
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
casmir

Bobbilicious on ravelry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008 05:14:14 PM »

Man - Fiber Fridays are the best! Everything is so creative and beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myklia
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008 05:16:46 PM »

So I took notes this week. Tongue

I love:

Sunset Lagoon
Cypress
Terrah
Turning of the Leaves
Easter Dreams

Everything by Grayling40.  I love the start of your scarf and I must get that book.  I am still a newbie crocheter, but I hope I can figure that out, it is stunning.

What can I say Jazzturtle, you always amaze me, but this week I super duper LOVE Goldfish Pond.  Gorgeous color.

I also love everything by ignorantamoeba.  Especially the second yarn.

Now this doesn't mean I hated all the other yarns, all of you are an inspiration.

For that Hobby Lobby roving, I think it is really meant for needle felting or something, but that is what I used for my first spins too.  You definitely move on quickly after that.  I have been sending some of it off for use in Rapunzel scarves, a good use for it I would say. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WMA
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008 05:49:28 PM »

I love Fiber Friday! All I have to say is...wow! I love all of them...such beautiful spinning!

This is my offering this week and is so bland compared to all the gorgeous colors in the previous posts but what can I say...I like natural colors too and more importantly, free roving is free roving  Grin My first attempt at plying so I went with a navajo ply on my "electric spindle" lol Sorry about the quality...I waited until night to photo it so I needed flash. The brown is a lot richer than in the pic. I'm not sure of the length, etc as I still need to set it.

The Overlook (I was watching The Shining while plying lol)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Hanging Jewelry Organizer
How to Make Colored Corn Jewelry
How to Create a Study Board for Homework
How to Create a Scrapbook for Vacation Photos
How to Make Play Dough for Kids
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...