A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,017
Currently Running With Scissors:
571 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vegetarian help!!  (Read 978 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

taya.musha
A legend in her own mind...

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2008 07:31:14 PM »

So,
for my list of "101 things in 1001 days" (see:http://www.triplux.com/dayzero/default.asp?view=gettingstarted) i am going to be vegetarian for two weeks to see if i could do it full time. i can't decide, however, if i should get a book or research online or just wing it!
if you could post your opinion and a suggestion, that would REALLY help me;)
thanks for reading!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TansysMaySigh
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008 07:36:18 PM »

my sister has been a vegetarian for years
she checks the ingredients in... everything for like beef flavoring or whateva. i guess some veges eat fish but she doesnt. um make sure you get enough protein. it shouldnt be that hard to wing it especially for so short a time, but it might help to look up vegetarian recipes.
sounds like an interestimg thing (the list) to try/experience new things
good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
taya.musha
A legend in her own mind...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008 03:38:30 PM »

Thank you for your help!!
 Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
*k*
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008 05:29:15 AM »

You could just wing it without research, but it might be easier to do some research first.  Especially if your diet is very meat-centered.

If you're interested in doing some book research, there are quite a few books on the topic of becoming vegetarian.  Here's a search result from Amazon to give you some ideas: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_1_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=becoming+vegetarian&sprefix=becoming+ve&sprefix=becoming+ve.  "The New Becoming Vegetarian: The Essential Guide To A Healthy Vegetarian Diet" would probably be a great place to start (maybe you can find a copy at your local library).  My mom bought me the old version of this book shortly after I became vegetarian, and I remember finding it helpful/informative.

My advice is to replace the meat in your diet with veggies, grains and beans.  Try to avoid loading up on cheese, which can be convenient but not very healthy.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive_juice
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008 10:13:15 AM »

I really didn't find it to be a hard transition, personally. Now going from vegetarian to vegan... THAT was a challenge! Don't forget to read the labels on everything, and make friends with foods you may not normally eat like beans, quinoa, tofu, etc. That was my favorite thing about becoming veg-i learned to cook so many different types of ethnic cusine like indian and thai. Yum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
TheAmarant

I am. I am. I am.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009 10:22:34 PM »

I found the transition really simple!  I think it would almost be harder to try a trial run and be itching for the day I could go back.  I just turned the page to a new chapter, and have hardly had a craving since.

A lot of people think vegetarians can only eat salads, but there are so many amazing (and easy) options, even for eating out.  I often search the menu for dishes that include meat, and then order it sans the chicken/beef or what not.  Also, places like Denny's offer Veggie burgers (really great with cheddar, grilled onions and bbq sauce for a "western style" burger).

This is also a great time for you to experiment with recipes to cook at home.  Vegetarian chili is quite filling and tasty this time of year.  I've even made an enchilada casserole using Morningstar Farm's "meal starters" ground "beef" and some taco seasoning.  Expand your horizons to new types of food, like Indian and Mediterranean cuisine!

Craftsters seem to have a lot of wonderful ideas and websites such as allrecipes.com have helped me immeasurably.

Sorry for writing you a Novel, now grab a good multi-vitamin and hop to!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.etsy.com/shop/RiverLikeARoad
Specializing in vintage clothing, shoes, and curious ephemera for your adoration.
car_rides
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009 07:57:16 AM »

I would just wing it.  It's not hard being a vegetarian.  Just make sure at every meal you get a good source of protein and a good source of carbs.  Definitely switch to whole grains if you haven't already, because refined carbs have so little nutritional value.  Whole wheat bread has a good amount of protein in it, so I even consider it as a small serving of protein.  Protein doesn't have to mean just tofu or meat substitutes either!  Beans, hummus, eggs, cheese, yogurt, and especially cottage cheese have a lot of protein in them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

scarves, hats, earrings, elephants... whatever I feel like crafting is all here:
http://eatinglightning.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tuna Roll Recipe
How to Eat Sashimi
How to Eat Nigiri
How to Use Chopsticks
Cooking Tuna
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...