A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,722
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Huge paper crane project (help neeeeeeded)  (Read 2425 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

occupiedgirl
« on: March 06, 2005 09:46:51 AM »

I came up with this last week. I posted this in the "Canada" section of the forum. My replies kind of fizzled out, so I thought maybe this would be the place for the post... in the first place.

We have given the project a cause now as well.

Peace For Children World Wide.

Here it goes:

preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '____________________________________________________________________________')
I need to enlist the help of others who enjoy the art of folding paper.

I'm looking to (hopefully) hang tons of paper cranes from the ceiling of my boutique. I'm changing the theme of the shop come the end of March & thought it would be amazing to do paper cranes. Only thing is I could not do this huge project on my own... so I'm looking outside my circle in hopes that other may want to contribute some paper cranes. I would make a list that would display your name &/or your organization and how many were contibuted to the project. Then I was thinking afterwards taking all the cranes to the statue in Seattle of the little girl "Sadako" who started the whole 1000 paper crane story.

The are no real requirements... you could make the paper cranes out of any kind of paper... magazines... candy bar wrappers... it doesn't have to be origami paper.

If you & your friends are interested please email me, and I will send you a link of directions to make the paper crane (or see link on bottom of this page) & the address in which to send your cranes along to or to drop them off if you are in the neighbourhood...

occupiedshop@hotmail.com

Also of course there will be a little thank you packages to all those who supported the project. Even if you contribute 1-? You will be given credit. So when you do send your paper cranes ensure that you incude all your info.

I'm kind of thinking of this, as an art exhibit that EVERYONE young & old can be a part of. You don't need to be an "artist" to be a part of this project. You just have to have heart.

I think it would be fun for people who are local to Vancouver, BC, to be able to show off the cranes they contribute. They will be on display in the shop from April 1st-August 15th 'ish.

Soooo please pass the word on.

Hope to hear from some of you out there.

Best wishes,
Occupied

http://www.sadako.org

http://www.sadako.org/foldingcranes.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
happify
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005 09:51:46 AM »

I'm just curious.  How will the cranes support peace for children worldwide?  What'll link the cause and the project? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005 10:05:08 AM »

I am interested in the answer to happify's question... I went to http://www.sadako.org and they are no longer accepting cranes...and will just put them into recycling.  So, I am not sure how they will benefit the organization.  So, could you explain?

If they will actually benefit in some way, I don't see why I couldn't make a few & send them to ya.

Maybe instead of sending thank you packages, you donated $1 on their website, for each crane you recieved?  Of course, then you would have to find a way show the donators of the cranes, that you did, indeed complete your portion of the donation.

Just some thoughts...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
occupiedgirl
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005 03:02:04 PM »

Hi!

We are creating an awareness to the cause, by bringing people together & creating something. The response to the project has been super positive & everyone seems super excited about it. It's awesome when you just put a little into something that could amount to be so huge. I think everyone who has offered to contribute the cranes has their own special reasons for wanting to help.

The goal is to create awareness & bring people together.

We have had an artisit who has donated a few painting that will be auctioned off & the proceeds of those will go towards the cause. Also we are going to making some cute paper crane pins & the sale of those will go towards the Peace for children world wide charity.

As for the organization on Sadako's site not accepting cranes right now. People still leave cranes there. The organization just doesn't take them there for you right now. Also our cranes will be going to the statue of Sadako in Seattle in August.....and depening on how many cranes we actually get, we might have a friend of mine take some to the statue of Sadako in Hiroshima, Japan. Because I don't want to over load the statue in Seattle. I'm expecting we will have quite abit of paper cranes.

Thanks for your questions!!!

Best wishes,
Jenelle
Occupied
 Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katiebug
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005 07:34:34 PM »

I've heard the Sadako story, it almost made me cry the first time I heard it...

Anyway, if I can find some neat paper this weekend I might be able to make some.  I'll see if I could attach some pin backs to some of them. I'll let you know probably this weekend, until then Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hide not your talents, they for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?" -Ben Franklin

http://lemonsicle.blogspot.com/
pickledkitty
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005 10:12:24 PM »

Wow! That sounds really awesome. I'll have to send some;p I make them all the time and my dad jokes that there is a virus on my computer because there are 21 cranes on and around it;p all made out of candy/chip bags.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
occupiedgirl
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005 11:21:28 PM »

Hi ladies,

Thanks so much for your support. I look forward to hearing from you katiebug Wink

Happy paper crane makin'.

Bestest,
Jenelle
The lean mean paper crane makin' machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005 01:41:48 AM »

Hello again! Wink  Thanks for explaining more about the project Occupied!  Cheesy  I will send some as well... Smiley  I don't think I have ever made one though, so it may end up looking like a paper elephant, lol... but I will try! 

Do you think you could take photos of the collection... in your boutique?  I am in Ohio & won't be able to visit Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
occupiedgirl
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005 07:21:57 AM »

Hi!

We had a photographer who saw my posting some where and has donated his services to take photos of the final project. So in the thank you packages, there will be photo postcards of the final outcome as well as some other goodies.

Please be sure when you send your cranes that you include your name/address/how many cranes you contributed, because we are going to have a a "wall of fame" and put everyones names up on it who helped contribute. Also we need to know where to send back your goodies to.

I just learnt how to make paper cranes myself. And it is so much fun. I love the end step, where the body pops up & the wings unfold. I always tell who ever is around... "look this is the best part... taaaaa-daaaaa!" as I unfold it... I love it. I'm making paper cranes every free moment I have. It's funny... it's driving everyone crazy.

Thanks again for helping!

We would like to try and get the paper cranes by March 25th. As it's going to take me forever to sting them all up...

Here is where you send them to:

Occupied
221 Abbott St.
Vancouver, BC
V6B 2K7
Canada

Please spread the word, the more the merrier!

Bestest,
Jenellle
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Unschooling*Mama
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005 11:11:36 AM »

I LOVE this idea! My dh and I are renovating our 2 girls' bedroom and I have several cranes already made to suspend from their ceiling with fishing line. I'll send some your way!

Jessie
http://bellablue.typepad.com/bellablue/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Melanie Abrams on Writing Sex Scenes in Literary Fiction
How to Make a Paper Mache Ganesh
The Moveable Type Installation at the New York Times Lobby
How to Make Clay Murals with Joe Brenman
Meet Ice Sculptor Takeo Okamoto
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...