A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,607
Currently Running With Scissors:
493 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Real Butterfly Wings and RESIN  (Read 4531 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

edamame
« on: March 06, 2005 09:38:42 AM »

I saw the coolest pin made out of one butterfly wing, that was apparently lightly coated with resin. Any ideas how to do this without ruining the delicate wing?? The only thing I could find online was this: http://www.emmacaton.com/ but this still looks too thick...

I'm wondering if it would work to first spray the wing with some acrylic clear spray-on sealer, then paint it with the resin. I've never worked with resin, and don't know if its even possible to "paint" it on!

Oh, this is from that same site as above, but really weird...
http://www.emmacaton.com/roedeer.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005 10:55:43 AM »

oh wow... i thought the wings were cool, but then I saw that last link and I think I just want.. throw up or something.

I think you pour resin? Ive never worked with it, either...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
edamame
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005 03:41:27 PM »

At the top of that first link is a button for her jewelry... shows more bugs. I'm just so impressed at how clear and polished the resin is.

yeah, I guess that second one is a deer fetus or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smprncs
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005 04:10:23 PM »

that second one is too bizzare- as far as the resin goes general practice says that you pour it. however it is a liquid (similar to thin syrup) so I don't see why you could't paint it on. I would definately seal the wings with something first otherwise they will absorb the resin and not be as vibrant. those wings were amazingly beatiful. if you experiment with this please share your findings! good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005 04:27:06 PM »

You might also try dipping the wings after sealing them.  The brush strokes may job loose the "feathers" in the butterfly wings even after you seal them.  Dipping would be less intrusive to the wholeness of the wing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
smprncs
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005 04:43:21 PM »

You might also try dipping the wings after sealing them.  The brush strokes may job loose the "feathers" in the butterfly wings even after you seal them.  Dipping would be less intrusive to the wholeness of the wing.

Very smart, I agree!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edamame
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005 06:22:21 PM »

Any ideas what to seal it with? Spray-on something?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ringoatemybaby
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2005 06:37:40 PM »

You could possibly try shellac (or clear spraypaint) to seal them. The only problem is that it might take some trial and error...and I don't know how many dead butterflies you have lying around.

Painting it on is probably not your best bet. I don't know, maybe I'm using a different type of resin than the other poster, but mine is more like a very thick syrup than a thin syrup. It wouldn't go on the way you'd like, and it might even take a few hairs from your paintbrush with it. I would recommend pouring a layer of resin in your mold and letting it solidify, then gently putting the wing on top of it and pouring more resin on it. Maybe if you were to pour slowly, on a corner of the mold where the wing isn't, and let it ooze over onto the wing it would look the way you'd like it to.

The wings are so delicate that I don't know if dipping would work. But I do agree that the dipping technique is EXCELLENT for doing things a little sturdier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
freakigreeniiz

Orange you glad I didn't say bananas?!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005 10:06:35 PM »

Hey, is that thing in the second link real?  It has wings.  Maybe it's a pegasus.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edamame
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2005 03:21:15 PM »

Hey, is that thing in the second link real?  It has wings.  Maybe it's a pegasus.
Yeah, the artist says in her webpage that she was given a bag of doe wombs or something. Creepy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Mini Easter Basket
How to Make Decoupage Easter Eggs
How to Create a Craft Paper Christmas Tree
Creative Ways to Decorate Easter Eggs
How to Make DIY Sidewalk Chalk
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...