A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with Printing on Fabric  (Read 2892 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lee-lee ess.
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008 10:02:21 AM »

Ahh!  I've been planning on making a periodic table quilt for myself, too!  I haven't put much behind it yet (too big of a project to just do for myself.. I have fabric)  If I were you, I'd probably use stencils. 
Really, I have nothing helpful to suggest, but I just wanted to say how AWESOME that will be!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherry_blossom55
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008 10:33:08 AM »

I'm not sure I understand you, this Bubble Jet stuff....do you mean for printing the letters or to make squares glow in the dark?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-zoma-

finally a picture of me

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008 11:38:30 AM »

I'm not sure I understand you, this Bubble Jet stuff....do you mean for printing the letters or to make squares glow in the dark?

For the letters...

You can print with your inkjet printer right onto the fabric - very cool, and you get a pretty high quality print.
I use this stuff called Raycafix which is the same idea but different brand which I get locally. Fabric has to be 100% cotton, and you'll need freezer paper to stiffen the fabric so it feeds through your printer.

That's definitely what I would do - cutting the stencils for all those letters would drive me crazy. You'd def. save yourself a lot of time if you printed them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cherry_blossom55
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008 02:02:46 PM »

That sounds interesting, but what does it cost? If the only reason against stencils is the cutting, then I'm not worried because they are only letters and numbers and I can pick up pre-made stencils of those at Michaels for a couple bucks.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-zoma-

finally a picture of me

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008 02:54:43 PM »

I bought a 500mL bottle for about $12, and you use it a few tablespoons at a time. Plus a couple of bucks for the freezer paper.

Plus the bonus would be you could put the actual names under the elements in the smaller lettering  - not just the big letters - and it wouldn't be any extra effort at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cwo3112
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2008 04:23:13 PM »

Yes, exactly what Zoma said.  Use your computer to set up a square (of the table). I have no idea how to do that, then with your fabric in the computer it will print directly onto the material.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JerseyGal
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008 11:13:41 AM »

I'm with Zoma on this one.  Maybe you can find a computer geek to help you; art majors that work in the fabric arts are good at this, they use this kind of stuff all the time and it produces great things.
My son is a chemist....but he's never getting a quilt like this!  Your BF is a lucky guy!!  The best my son got was a plastic-y placemat of the periodic table!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherry_blossom55
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008 01:35:41 PM »

Sounds easier than I thought. I think I will look into that because no doubt it will be much faster and I already have a lot of work to do just sewing.

Thankfully I am an art major and use computer graphics quite often so I think I should be able to figure out the placement. (but I will definitely be testing in on scraps first. Tongue)

I'll keep the progress posted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

merlette
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008 09:50:47 PM »

I am SO jealous!  I want a nerdy boyfriend for whom I can make an awesome periodic table quilt!  What a great idea!

I think you should just embroider the squares.  For some reason that seems easier to me than sending fabric through a printer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JerseyGal
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008 05:39:10 PM »

There's a group on this site called "Image Reproduction Techniques."  Check them out and see what's up there in printing on fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Halloween Flower Decoration Ideas
How to Make a Diaper Cake
How to Dry Flowers
Halloween Party Wine Bottle Make-Over
Fashion Crafts for Kids
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...