A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,663
Currently Running With Scissors:
609 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: If I knew what to call it maybe I could find a pattern  (Read 675 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

auntiem
« on: November 06, 2008 11:27:00 AM »

My search skills are failing me miserably. I thought the style was called Dutch work - nope ok, I'll try bluework - nope.
It is a cross stitch style - usually of little Dutch girls, windmills, tulips - you get the idea. It is done as a square with blue thread. Often you see them as bell pulls or as trivets.
I can find all kinds of cute patterns for little Dutch girls in embroidery, but not in cross stitch.
My great aunt used to make these (and the patterns got tossed according to my Mom) - is it a style most people don't do anymore?
Any help with either a better search word or resource for patterns would be greatly appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookwormbethie
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008 02:06:44 PM »

Have you tried www.colonialpattern s.com?  They sell Aunt Martha patterns, usually vintagey and kitschy stuff.  I have mail ordered from them quite a few times and they have excellent customer service.  You can also buy their patterns at JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby, or Hancock Fabrics.  www.colonialpattern s.com does have cross stitch stuff and dutch themed embroidery.

You might also want to try www.patternbee.com  I believe she sells reproductions of vintage patterns and she may have what you are looking for.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

auntiem
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008 04:06:44 PM »

That patternbee site is dangerous! I think I'll at least have to do the free tea towel pattern of the apple getting chased by the knife.

So, I'm getting closer. The style I'm thinking of is patterned off of Delft pottery / tiles. I'm finding examples but no patterns yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookwormbethie
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008 12:14:32 PM »

That patternbee site is dangerous! I think I'll at least have to do the free tea towel pattern of the apple getting chased by the knife.

So, I'm getting closer. The style I'm thinking of is patterned off of Delft pottery / tiles. I'm finding examples but no patterns yet.

someone stitched up all those crazy fruits on flickr!  I forget who Sad  but since you're a member too, maybe you can poke around and find them

good luck with your search
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rectangel
a right angle gone wrong

'once a square always a square'

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008 04:57:11 PM »

hmmm I think I sent some iron-on cross-stitch with Dutch girls to Sewsew-a-gogo a while back

there's also these:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=cat1_gallery_1&listing_id=16533138

but it sounds like you are looking for something like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9211450@N06/2991927745/

« Last Edit: November 07, 2008 05:12:17 PM by rectangel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Going to Viva this year April 1-4!
auntiem
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008 04:19:11 PM »

Yes, the second one is kinda close to what I'm looking for. Now my Mom thinks she might have some of my Great Aunt's patterns after all. I'm going to look thru it during my holiday visit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmphipodGirl

More projects planned than executed.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008 08:46:00 PM »

I googled "delft cross stitch pattern" and got some hits on ebay: http://crafts.shop.ebay.com/items/Cross-Stitch__W0QQ_nkwZdelftQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZCraftsQQ_pcatsZ160706Q2c14339QQ_sacatZ3091

Is any of that like what you want?  I see some china-like patterns, but no little Dutch girls...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me for a FREE vintage embroidery transfer of mushrooms (more info in profile).
auntiem
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008 01:56:38 PM »

That is exactly what I was looking for - thank you! I didn't even think to try ebay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmphipodGirl

More projects planned than executed.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008 06:31:45 PM »

You're welcome; enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me for a FREE vintage embroidery transfer of mushrooms (more info in profile).
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tia Mowry-Hardrict Reveals Her Hair Crushes
How to Change a Bad Hair Day Into a Good Hair Day
How to Accessorize Your Big Chop
5 Lessons Sherri Shepherd Has Learned From Wearing Wigs
How to Get the Ombre Look Without Coloring Your Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...