A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 315,691
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cinder blocks  (Read 3601 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

honorhappy
« on: February 15, 2004 06:38:21 PM »

There's a dumpster in town that has a ton of old cinderblocks laying around waiting to be snagged up.  I know I can use them to make a standard cinder block and wood shelf but I'm thinking of doing something different.  The only things I can think of off hand is a) a winerack, but I would have to somehow pad the inside of the blocks or they would probably scratch/break the bottles, and b) stacking them and then putting a piece of glass ontop for a funky side table.  But is it expensive for glass?  Any other ideas for them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss_mom

Keeping my head above water .... barely!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004 08:45:55 PM »

I think for the kind of glass that you would need for a table, yes, it is a little expensive ... my m-i-l got a round piece made to cover the top of a wicker table, and it was almost $100 - and I think even that would not be strong enough to be a tabletop on its' own! But call up your local glass place and ask - maybe someone ordered a piece and changed their mind and you could get it cheap.

I would suggest plexiglas, but I think it might flex too much. I say get an old piece of wood, either sponge or crackle paint it, or even decoupage it, or trim it with some cool fabric or other trim, and make a coffee table out of them!

This is a hard one .... let us know how you make out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  - Thomas Edison
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004 04:58:16 AM »

I like the idea of a wine rack, you could line the inside with felt or fun foam. They make fun foam in really cool colors & patterns now.
Michaels crafts has 12 packs of foam sheets on sale for $4.99 right now.
A C Moore has it on sale for 16 cents a sheet, I think theyt are 9 inches x 12 inches.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tracey
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004 08:55:09 AM »

Don't know if this would work  Huh are they really dirty?
 but making furniture might be fun
 A nightstand, coffee table base, maybe even a chair or couch? *you'd have to pad it realllllly good of  course*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love your ememies..... It will drive them nuts!
ducktape_diva

Book'em good-lookin'

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005 09:49:20 AM »

If you're into gardening, you could use them to construct a potting bench.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkmissmarilyn
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010 04:54:31 PM »

I have been looking for a ton of cinder blocks lately, so you could always send them to meeee!

Lol, I really like the wine rack idea, but of course you prob. don't want just bare cinder blocks...it wouldn't look that great. What I was thinking of doing is stacking a bunch of them, held together with some quick-crete (quick dry concrete) or something similar. and then covering them in a mosaic style, but instead of buying really expensive tile, I bought a lot of plates from the thrift store, which on their own look pretty tacky as far as plates, but when wrapped in a towel and busted up with a hammer make really pretty tile bits!

Just an idea! I'll have to find some and let you know how it goes. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shellieinthecity
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010 11:48:08 AM »

people make wood pallet beds, why not apply that to cinder blocks  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
achgfd
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010 02:11:29 AM »

hmmm you can make a lamp?
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/196552/industrial_lamp_cinder_block_lamp_you.html

Edit:
Or A cd shelf/Speaker shelf

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2008/05/cinder_block_speaker_stan.html
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010 02:12:28 AM by achgfd » THIS ROCKS   Logged

seleniebeanie
Running on all 4 cylinders!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010 08:05:46 PM »

I Used Some Leftover Ones To Make A Planter Box. One Day After Planting Flower Seeds, I Couldn't Wait For The Flowers To Come Up And Look Pretty, So I Borrowed
A Book From The Library Titled "Painting On Rocks" And I Painted The Cinder Block Fronts With Acrylic Painted "Flowers" And "Hostas".

A Family At Our Campground Had A Small Dog They Wanted To Keep On Their Lot. Since We Don't Own The Camper Lots, They Couldn't Put A Permanent Fence Up.
They Stood Cinder Blocks On Their Ends And Ran 2 x 4's Through The Big Holes Of The Cinder Blocks. It Ended Up Looking Like A Small Corral, And It Worked For Their Small Dog! FYI: To Achieve A Corner, You Need To Use 2 Blocks Side-By-Side Facing Different Directions.

Whatever You Choose To Do, Have Fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My ultimate gifts to receive: Thread and Glue Sticks!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Easy, Dairy-Free Cashew "Cheese" Recipe
Organize Your Dorm Room Like a Pro
Autistic Behaviors Are Human Behaviors
Short Stories Analysis: Characterization and Archetype
Short Stories Analysis: Textual Evidence
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...