A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 304,877
Currently Running With Scissors:
779 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Capt. Kirk & Alien Mistress  (Read 12315 times)
Tags for this thread: star_trek , alien , craft_challenge_32_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rvladams
« on: November 05, 2008 08:02:55 PM »

So, this year I made my most involved Halloween costumes to date.  My boyfriend, who looks eerily like the Captain, decided he wanted to be James Tiberius Kirk for Halloween.  Not to be outdone, I decided to go as his green-haired alien love.  Below are some shots of us, as well as lists of what I bought and made.

KIRK COSTUME:

Purchased or Repurposed: second-hand yellow turtleneck, second-hand black dress pants (women's), black boot toppers (from an old Santa suit), black dress shoes.

Made: I removed the collar from the turtleneck and used scraps of an old black t-shirt to create a black collar with a v-insert.  I embroidered the Federation insignia onto a scrap of gold pleather, cut it out, and stitched it to the shirt.  Then I cut other scraps of the gold pleather into rick-rack and stitched three just above the cuff of each shirt sleeve (for Kirk's ranking stripes).  I tucked in the furry tops of the boots and stitched a short piece of elastic to the bottom of each one, creating a stirrup for my boyfriend's black shoe to fit in.  This made sure that the boot toppers would remain looking like boots during wear (and not ride up, exposing the top of the shoe underneath).

BONUS: The phaser is completely hand-made from a styrofoam block, acrylic paint, aluminum foil, a plastic nose-spray topper, scraps of gold pleather, a silver gel pen, a sharpie, and super glue.  It is a faithful reproduction of the deluxe handheld phaser Kirk carries in several TOS episodes.

ALIEN MISTRESS:

Purchased or Repurposed: Silver sequined tank top, green rhinestone necklace, strappy silver sandals (only the base), silver earrings, second-hand slip, green hair spray.

Made:  I bought a yard of silver pleather and cut the entire yard into strips about a foot wide and long enough to cover the area between my waist and just above my knee.  I folded a few inches of each strip (lengthwise), and duct taped the folded portion to the back of the strip.  When I had enough strips to create "pleats" all around my body, I whip-stitched them to the top of the slip and cut off the excess.  Then a sewed a much thinner strip into a collar and sewed a snap backing to it.  I made the pleather "flowers" on the shoes the same way I made the skirt, only in miniature.  Then I put on the rhinestone necklace and earrings, did crazy eye make-up, and sprayed the bejeezus out of my blond hair.

Hope you guys like our outfits!  They were a lot of work, but I was happy with them in the end, and I'm a major Star Trek geek. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
krandui

I can be a complicated communicator...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008 08:16:52 PM »

WOW!!  Shocked Awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008 06:48:23 AM »

Yay!  Captain Kirk! he looks great.   I love your dress, too.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amor_fati
Crafty Nerd for the masses

tasherajean.etsy.com

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008 07:38:27 AM »

At first glance, I thought that was the real Captain Kirk you were using for reference  Shocked
Does he *pause* talk *pause* like (strong emphasis) Shatner too?  Grin
Great costumes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.tasherajean.etsy.com

tasherajean.etsy.com
Fried Gold
Rude and Ginger

Go Team Venture!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008 12:44:53 PM »

You both look so foxy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Glitter is the herpes of arts and crafts; you can't get rid of it no matter how hard you try."
borg.borg

"it's a tricorder, miles.. but not as we know it."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008 08:56:39 PM »

i had been a generic yeoman for halloween every year for the past.. i don't know.. 5 years? it had been fun, but as much as i wanted to pull that costume out of the closet again this year i resisted.
i'm glad to see such an accurate costume on your honey Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaishabackwards
I am interested in politics so that one day I will not have to be interested in politics.

My eyes are nothing like the sun.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008 10:43:14 PM »

Umm, Wow.  He looks UNCANNILY like Shatner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Atheris
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008 09:35:22 AM »

Wow he really DOES look like Kirk! How cool! Great costumes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jo Biasi
www.camofish.com
camofishus.blogspot.com
Santa Rosa, CA
Aliped

Only dead fish go with the flow ....

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008 01:23:13 PM »

Wow - your boyfriend does look a lot like Captain Kirk - thats gotto be his perfect costume.  Nice job with the "alien love interest".   Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suitcase2space
Suffering from an artistic temperament since 1983

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008 06:36:04 AM »

Yay! You guys look amazing! and he really does look like Kirk!!
I am also a huge star trek geek and went as Uhura. The good thing about a Star Trek uniform is that you could wear it to a convention later and get more than one night's use out of it! I've never been to one myself, but maybe now that I have the nifty uniform....
 Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you say 'yes' to a single desire? Oh, my friends, then you say 'yes' to all pain.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Look Like a Million Bucks for Less
4 Steps to Getting a Kylie Jenner Halloween Costume
VF COLLECTIONS: Martin Grant Spring/Summer 2015 - Paris Fashion Week
VF NEWS: Martin Grant Spring/Summer 2015 - Paris Fashion Week
4 Ways to Wear Distressed Jeans
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...