A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 301,503
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Princess Leia  (Read 2027 times)
Tags for this thread: star_wars  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

skankin kiwi
« on: February 01, 2009 11:11:54 AM »

For my "to school" costume (I am a teacher) I made this.  Halloween is a big deal where I work, as it is the one day where students don't have to wear their uniforms, and they get a half day and put on skits.  Anyway, this is the third time in my life I have been Leia, only this time, I had to make a new costume.  (My previous one fit me before I had hips and before, apparently, my arms got buff!)

I didn't use a pattern, I just kind of winged it.  (There was a lot of laying on top of the fabric and marking where my ankles were and that sort of thing!)
I got the cheapest fabric Jo-anne's had to offer.  The belt is made from Diet Pepsi cardboard, painted with some leftover white house paint, topped with more cardboard covered in foil.
I did buy the wig, as my hair is too short to do anything with.  Plus, it was much easier to make those buns when I could put the wig on my husband's head!

This is my "Help me Obi Wan" face.

Pardon my tired face! I stayed up super late the night before Halloween to finish, as I had spent all my evenings for the previous week finishing a costume for one of my high school students.  (Which, sadly, I never did get a picture of!)

Several of my elementary school studnets were Jedis and they were excited that we were from the same movie.  One student was Darth Vader and I think I might have creeped him out a little when I made some reference to him being my dad...

Here is one from years ago, with an ex-boyfriend as Han.  That dress was originally made when I was in 8th grade (out of a sheet).  Both that time and this one I had hair long enough to work without a wig!  Anyway, I think I did a much better job with my latest version!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stirrin' my brandy with a nail...
veggie head 4 life

Chickpeas & peanut butter will feed the world!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009 12:01:04 PM »

love it! great job girl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dance through your days........

my fabric-tastic blog
http://agreenbanana.blogspot.com/

Let's be friends!!
http://www.myspace.com/greeeengoooodness
v3nu5
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009 02:42:40 PM »

OMG this is so cool! And your likeness to Leia is outstanding. Your earlier version was great too,  Tongue showed off your figure nicely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elsinora

This is the plane of suck.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009 08:23:18 PM »

Nice costume!  I went as Princess Leia last Halloween too, with my fiance as my Han Solo.  I made both our costumes...mine won the college costume contest (which, being an alum, I was not technically eligible to enter...whoops).  Yours is better, I think..but given that I'd only been sewing for a few months when I made mine, I am quite pleased with it!  Grin

Here are the pics:

Me as Leia (unfortunately, none of my pics show the hairstyle or the belt very well)

DF as Han (the funny thing is, he HATES Halloween and complained for months about my making him wear a costume...until I showed him the finished product, at which point he refused to take it off for days, lol)

"I love you."
"I know."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe using a kettle and some string. And look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable."
skankin kiwi
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009 10:53:51 AM »

Elsinora, your costume is amazing!  You and your fiance both fit the parts so well!
Is that your real hair?  Because it looks perfect! What did you make the belt out of?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stirrin' my brandy with a nail...
Elsinora

This is the plane of suck.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009 12:12:02 PM »

Elsinora, your costume is amazing!  You and your fiance both fit the parts so well!
Is that your real hair?  Because it looks perfect! What did you make the belt out of?

Thankies!  No, it's not my real hair...my real hair is blond and not NEARLY long enough, unfortunately, so I bought a black witch wig from the local halloween mart and styled it myself.  It took almost a hundred bobby pins and ended up looking quite sparse in the back, so I had to wear the hood up most of the time.  I am envious of your hair!  Embarrassed

The belt was a piece of white felt with velcro closures--I would have used white pleather, but I couldn't get any in time.  For the silver doodads, I wrapped aluminum foil around pieces of posterboard cut into the right shapes, hot glued the round buttons onto them, and then hot glued the whole shebang onto the felt.  The round pieces are from a fabric-covered button making kit I got at Joann's for $2.50.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe using a kettle and some string. And look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Bumper Stickers
How to Make a Time Capsule
How to Make Crafts with Autumn Leaves
How to Make CD Crafts
How to Make Candy Cane Bath Salts
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects
January 21st is Squirrel Appreciation Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...