A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Resin and Spoons  (Read 72699 times)
Tags for this thread: resin , pendant  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cimberb
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2009 09:37:25 AM »

This makes me want to work with resin straight up. Ive always been too iffy about it but these are wayyy to awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Currently redoing my house-looking for personal swaps to add touches. Smiley
TheWatchman
« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2009 06:51:49 PM »

I've been using envirotex lite resin and love it. Very easy to work with. Great job on the spoon pendants. Are you making spoon rings yet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
taraston
« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2009 07:27:11 PM »

Too cool! Can I ask what resin you use and if you have any tackyness? I can not get mine to harden where it does not touch the mold! I have tried five different sealers and they don't do well either! I made neat stuff but can't wear it because it is sticky and picks up dirt, hair, or any fuzz at all! And the smell is so strong.
I have been using the easy craft with catalyst. I am thinking of trying epoxy. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May a sunbeam warm you, a moonbeam charm you, and a craft idea hit like monkeys flinging poo.
BringItOn
« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2009 09:32:37 AM »

I have been trying to put on the backgrounds (pictures, scrapbook paper, etc) without flattening the bowl of the spoon but the paper wrinkles and isn't a smooth finish.  Any suggestions?

I am experiencing the same thing!  I have to assume that each background paper is individually cut and shaped since each spoon may vary in size and shape, but I just can't seem to get the paper to lay down without wrinkles!  I'm hoping to make a special one for my mother for Christmas, so hopefully I can get a little advice.   Wink

Great work.  You truly are an artist!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stringofpearls
« Reply #104 on: December 03, 2009 10:25:49 PM »

These are really neat. I've been looking for fancy spoons this whole time but if they can turn out looking like this maybe I'll look harder!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glitterkick
« Reply #105 on: December 21, 2009 08:51:11 AM »

I have been trying to put on the backgrounds (pictures, scrapbook paper, etc) without flattening the bowl of the spoon but the paper wrinkles and isn't a smooth finish.  Any suggestions?

I am experiencing the same thing!  I have to assume that each background paper is individually cut and shaped since each spoon may vary in size and shape, but I just can't seem to get the paper to lay down without wrinkles!  I'm hoping to make a special one for my mother for Christmas, so hopefully I can get a little advice.   Wink

Great work.  You truly are an artist!

Hi, sorry for the late reply. Yes, each background/paper is cut individually. The wrinkles have a lot to do with the thickness of the paper as well as the depth of the spoon. For a really thick paper, I try to work the wrinkles into the design. For example, the spoon below I used a very thick paper (paint chip) and you can clearly see the wrinkles around the edges:

Another option is to layer the papers so that you can avoid wrinkles by only using small strips of paper. Like this:

Or just use half the spoon for paper like this:

In general, the more shallow the spoon and the lighter weight the paper, the less wrinkles. Try to work with the paper by pressing it into the spoon and working out the wrinkles, make discreet cuts to the paper if needed, work the wrinkles into the design, cover a wrinkle with a charm or something, etc. Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glitterkick
« Reply #106 on: December 21, 2009 08:53:42 AM »

Too cool! Can I ask what resin you use and if you have any tackyness? I can not get mine to harden where it does not touch the mold! I have tried five different sealers and they don't do well either! I made neat stuff but can't wear it because it is sticky and picks up dirt, hair, or any fuzz at all! And the smell is so strong.
I have been using the easy craft with catalyst. I am thinking of trying epoxy. Thanks!

Hi, I use Easy Cast brand and it doesn't have any odor. I used Castin Craft in the beginning and it smelled horrible. Also, I had the same problem with that brand (would not harden to the touch where it wasn't in the mold) and I experimented with EVERY type of sealer (from nail polish to the Castin Craft spray sealer) and none worked to my satisfaction. So I definitely recommend Easy Cast, it dries clear and smooth and NO tackiness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MySweetDesign
« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2010 04:29:04 AM »

They look so awesome!
I always want to make thing with resin but never get a chance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In love with Craft
Xandrigirly
Whatever you are, be a good one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2010 06:00:54 PM »

These look great! I so need put resin on my list of things to try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest . blog . etsy
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail."
turtleslovecabbage
« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2010 08:27:17 PM »

I love these! I want to figure out how to make them. A-mazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Electrical problems and storms in my area suck. Sad
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Extensions Backstage at the Nicole Miller Fall 2012 Fashion Week Show
New York Fashion Week Runway Hair Trends
40s Style Hair & Makeup at the Douglas Hannant F/W 2012 Show
How to Use Hair Paste
Edgy Hair Style Tips
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...