A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,481
Currently Running With Scissors:
408 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: #@%&!! (curses) - Possibly NSFW - My first cross stitch - I think I fixed it!  (Read 2705 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: November 05, 2008 01:00:42 AM »

Disclaimer for the front page because I don't know how strict some offices are and it does have to do with curse words..

Ok - I have never done cross stitch before in my life, nor have I desired to.  However, I was looking for something to keep my hands busy since I quit smoking, and I came across Subversive Cross Stitch, and well... I'm in love.  Plus this is a craft I can work on at my desk at work and is a good excuse to pass on the usual "smoke breaks". 

So I ordered a kit from Subversive Cross Stitch, and got started on this. 

I know I screwed up the upper left hand corner of the border.  I also missed a flower and the whole left hand side should be an entire row over so it's very uneven and wonky because of that.  I had a hard time counting out the spacing on where to start the border.  I still love how it came out though.  Other than those mistake that I am aware of... does it look OK?  How is the stitching?  Too tight, too loose, to close together?  I've never even laid eyed on a cross stitch pattern before I tried this so I am really unsure if it but I think it looks pretty decent.  I ordered a couple other patterns and I would like to give them out as Christmas presents (my future MIL would LOVE the "happy f-ing holidays which I am working on now).  I am working on my 2nd and it seems to be going much better, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated because I see many more of these in my future. 

Thanks guys   Smiley

EDIT: Ok so after much suggestion I think I fixed it!  See the new pic on page 2.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008 09:48:00 PM by skankamaggot » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaishabackwards
I am interested in politics so that one day I will not have to be interested in politics.

My eyes are nothing like the sun.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008 03:12:55 AM »

Great job! 

PS: I think this is plenty safe for work. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008 03:15:30 AM »

Great job! 

PS: I think this is plenty safe for work. 

Thanks Smiley  I thought so too, but I don't want anybody yelling at me.. HOWEVER, if your office is lenient enough to let you surf craftster on the job, they shouldn't really care about silly characters  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Slingmomma
Crafty Esthetician!

Accessory hoarder.... scarves beware!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008 04:22:54 AM »

I think it looks great! I didn't even notice the corner until I kept reading on! As for that little bit of extra space you could very easiliy slip in maybe another symbol or even a letter, say an "u" maybe Wink I think you did and awesome job for never trying it ever before! I want to see more of what you can do!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A Spinners Magic Yarn ball! Join us!
Fat Quarter swap-almost done craft for sloth003 Cheesy
IYP 17-deadbathducky waiting still to receive!
Sew/Yarn v's Paper-got my partners!
katiekutthroat
one sassy southern crafter.. not for the easily offended

Thin line between adorable and appalling!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008 05:11:44 AM »

you picked a tricky border for a first try, but i say kudos.. cross stitching can be tough the first few go rounds, keep it up
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MrXStitch
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008 05:41:39 AM »

Yep, sometimes those borders can boggle your brain if you spend too long looking at them.
I think this is a great job and if anyone thinks it's not safe for work they should *&^% their %&*(*^%$ with a giant *$&^% so everyone &*^($*^$ the truth about &$%"& and Area 51...  Roll Eyes

Great start!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit MrXStitch.com to see the best in contemporary embroidery!
Do you hang out at The Phat Quarter?
It's the Mr X Stitch Facebook Fan Page!
auntiem
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008 12:22:16 PM »

Counted cross stitch is a f@&*%$* b%*$#@ the first time around. Borders are esp. difficult for me. I know you are supposed to stitch from the middle out, but if I have a particularly difficult border I'll do that first then it is easier to recenter the text if (when) I discover a goof up.
I think your stiches look great!
Just a warning - but cross stitch is very addicting - welcome to the addiction!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skankamaggot

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008 01:17:04 PM »

Thank you everybody for the encouragement!  I am almost finished with my 2nd cross stitch project and I also ordered a bunch of pattern books online so I'd say I'm already hooked  Cheesy  Even though this one isn't perfect I think I am still going to frame it and hang it over my craft desk. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookwormbethie
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008 01:48:40 PM »

it's fantabulous, and i also didn't even notice the corner was messed up until you pointed it out  Wink

and i agree with slingmomma, just throw in an extra character to make it all nice and centered

great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aprilkelli5
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008 06:31:40 PM »

looks great!!
If you are worried about the centering you could add an "?"

Yeap sounds like you are on the way to a great cross stitch addiction. I have 3 that I'm currently working on - one in the car while i wait for kids to get out of school, one on the main floor while I'm watching TV, one in the bedroom while I'm relaxing before bed.

April

(woohoo my first post here)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Looks to Heat Up Your Super Bowl
Top 5 Ways to Fix Static Cling
Sarah Jessica Parker Shows Off Her New Shoe Line for Nordstrom
Angel Sanchez Spring 2014 New York Fashion Week - Runway & Interviews
Which Country Has the Best Olympic Uniforms This Year?
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...