A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,366
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pink and black victorian overbust corset  (Read 12376 times)
Tags for this thread: corset  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shadowsforsale

With enough caffeine, I could rule the world..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008 01:15:11 PM »

This is kind of painfully awesome! Did you use a pattern, or draft your own? And I agree with the running in corsets.. I was running around work in an underbust on Halloween and wanted to die. Wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't laced it so tight, but meh. That's the point of a corset! I'm also seriously jealous that you got to see Emilie.. she needs to tour in Chicago sometime soon. I need some fun. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For a dreamer night's the only time of day
http://dragcave.net/image/oUlr.gif
desperate
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008 10:45:08 AM »

It looks wonderful, and that fabric is *gorgeous*Kiss I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be still when you have nothing to say; when genuine passion moves you, say what you've got to say, and say it hot.
    D. H. Lawrence
pretty hate machine
Lady Disillusion

Still I fly...still I fall.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008 11:29:55 AM »

Thanks shadowsforsale (an I agree completely)! I used an original pattern as a base and modified it for my needs, as I am apparently not as busty as the filthy victorians. If you're interested in the pattern, pm me and I see what I can do Cheesy And, yes, it doesn't feel like a corset if it isn't tight, how else can you sit straight then xD Emilie was pure love, and I'm sure she'll tour soon there, too!

And hiya desperate one, and thanks! The fabric is indeed beautiful, it probably is a key factor to the succes...  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

[revenge is the best revenge]
My still small wist!
TansysMaySigh
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008 07:12:52 PM »

this is probably the prettiest corset ive seen!
ive been meaning to make a corset but i keep chickening out=(

was it easy to make?
what pattern did you use?
do you think you'll wear it for anything else?

heh questions...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pretty hate machine
Lady Disillusion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008 02:23:05 AM »

Why thank you!
You shouldn't worry, corsets won't bite (most of the time) and if you do first an experimenting corset with inexpensive materials and use something like strong plastic cut into strips as bones you won't lose anything, and it's a great practise!

This was actually pretty easy to make, but not like t-shirt type of easy, more like corset-type of easy. Of course this isn't the easiest one to start with, but if you have some knowledge on how to build a corset, or have made one, you'll do fine. But I'd suggest trying something a bit easier (or at least something with lacing in the back AND front so you can get more easily in it xD) first before rushing into something like this. Of course I had my own way of making this corset, I just had the pattern and made my own rules. And as for the pattern, it's from a book called The Evolution of Fashion: Pattern and Cut from 1066 to 1930 (but I have the pattern scanned *winkwink*) and the pattern is from the Victorian era (year 1876). It's fairly easy to modify, especially if you make a "first edition" with the original fabric, then try it on, mark some corrections to the fabric and edit the patterns according to your changes.

And yes, I think I'm wearing it sometime again, but I'm not completely sure where. When I go shopping and want to look different than the others, or on a night out with friends (my budget would also thank me for that, since I couldn't have so many drinks then, not to mention the infamous one-too-many-drink).

I hope this clears some thing to you. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My still small wist!
Kyness
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008 02:37:39 AM »

I've started to make a few but I chicken out also. I need my corsets to "work" like a proper corset, being a plus size kinda girl. lol. and I just feel that one I make myself just isn't going to do well at holding in everything it needs to hold in. haha

I've not yet found a decent pattern to make one for myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beccabadger
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008 03:04:40 AM »

That's really nice! I don't normally like pink, but the shade of it and the pattern is just really cool! I wish I had your sewing skills, it looks amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stelloun
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008 03:25:10 AM »

Its wonderful, I love the color you choose, I think it looks ancient and modern in the same time!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lee-lee ess.
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008 05:38:41 PM »

I saw this, and immediately linked it to my boyfriend.  I explained it with one word.  "WANT" 
This is absolutely GORGEOUS and looks soooo well made.  I love, love, love everything about it.  Like a few other people I've noticed, I'm not a huge, huge fan of pink, but this about makes me one!  LOVE THIS.  You did awesome!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pretty hate machine
Lady Disillusion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008 01:07:18 PM »

Noo, no chickening out...! It's really fun making corsets. And thanks all, again!

Kyness, this type of corset is actually the type that can make your waist look thinner and push it to the right way. This is actually pretty long corset, it goes pretty far down to the hips and raises up to cover the breast. I'm a fairly small girl on that area, so anyone with more might end up having a pretty mighty cleavage.

And lee-lee ess., nice to hear that you like it so much! You should probably take it as a project, find a pretty-pretty fabric, sew something in one night, continue it on another... Making corsets isn't really hard, you just have to make sure it's the right size for you. The sewing is kinda easy, just with more small parts than usually. It takes more logic and patience Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My still small wist!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
On Set Walkie Talkie Lingo
Film Set Safety
How to Script a Documentary
Concept of Exposure Latitude
Office Production Assistant - Job Guide
Latest Blog Articles
Mountain Views
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...