A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
712 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pink and black victorian overbust corset  (Read 11007 times)
Tags for this thread: corset  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pretty hate machine
Lady Disillusion

Still I fly...still I fall.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 04, 2008 11:30:50 PM »

Half a meter of some curtain fabric (which was pretty, by the way), 20 steel bones, both spiral and flex ones, 19 pairs of grommets and over 8 meters of lacing, which is too little for my 'broad' shoulders.

I made this for Emilie Autumn gig, and I kinda like this. Making this was pretty fun, though I had to redo things a lot. And it took me three days to complete this, and a few fingers.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008 11:04:56 AM by pretty hate machine » THIS ROCKS   Logged

[revenge is the best revenge]
My still small wist!
PhotoholicFreak

Provehito in altum

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008 11:36:57 PM »

Woah! This is gorgeous!
And I really love the fabric!
Smiley Really stunning Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pretty hate machine
Lady Disillusion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008 12:01:58 AM »

Thank you Cheesy When I saw the fabric in the store all my plans for the corset suddenly changed and nothing mattered anymore xD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My still small wist!
Kyness
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008 01:54:05 AM »

The fabric really is gorgeous. I love emilie autumn and can't wait till she tours here. I'd love to be able to sew a corset like this to wear but my skills are lacking in that deparment. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Serenthia
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008 04:06:05 AM »

This is amazing!  Shocked i wish i had the skills (and patience) to create something like this! Are you going to wear it with a flowing skirt or something? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Davinia
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008 05:18:54 AM »

Stunning!

I'm not really a Pink kinda girl, but I would love this in RED/black
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eveojn
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008 08:50:46 AM »

Absolutely beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pretty hate machine
Lady Disillusion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008 10:29:44 AM »

@Kyness
The gig really was awesome, and when she gets near you, I command you to go there, skip work, school, whatever else coming on your way because you don't want to miss it! Cheesy

@Serenthia
I actually had a pair of bloomers and bustle-like skirt made of white organza, white lace curtain (lol) and some regular cotton fabric. But a big, flowing skirt would be awesome too :3

@Davinia
I love red and black combo too, so if they had had this same fabric in red/black, too, I would've probably died. It would be so hard to pick which one to make xD

@Eveojin
Thank you muchies ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My still small wist!
jaybirdiscrafty

Hi, it's been awhile!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008 10:32:14 AM »

That is gorgeous. I would wear that everyday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pretty hate machine
Lady Disillusion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008 01:11:21 PM »

Hehe, I would too if I weren't always late for something and had to run from place to place, and running in corset is kinda hard for me xD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My still small wist!
shadowsforsale

With enough caffeine, I could rule the world..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008 01:15:11 PM »

This is kind of painfully awesome! Did you use a pattern, or draft your own? And I agree with the running in corsets.. I was running around work in an underbust on Halloween and wanted to die. Wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't laced it so tight, but meh. That's the point of a corset! I'm also seriously jealous that you got to see Emilie.. she needs to tour in Chicago sometime soon. I need some fun. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For a dreamer night's the only time of day
http://dragcave.net/image/oUlr.gif
desperate
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008 10:45:08 AM »

It looks wonderful, and that fabric is *gorgeous*Kiss I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be still when you have nothing to say; when genuine passion moves you, say what you've got to say, and say it hot.
    D. H. Lawrence
pretty hate machine
Lady Disillusion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008 11:29:55 AM »

Thanks shadowsforsale (an I agree completely)! I used an original pattern as a base and modified it for my needs, as I am apparently not as busty as the filthy victorians. If you're interested in the pattern, pm me and I see what I can do Cheesy And, yes, it doesn't feel like a corset if it isn't tight, how else can you sit straight then xD Emilie was pure love, and I'm sure she'll tour soon there, too!

And hiya desperate one, and thanks! The fabric is indeed beautiful, it probably is a key factor to the succes...  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My still small wist!
TansysMaySigh
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008 07:12:52 PM »

this is probably the prettiest corset ive seen!
ive been meaning to make a corset but i keep chickening out=(

was it easy to make?
what pattern did you use?
do you think you'll wear it for anything else?

heh questions...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pretty hate machine
Lady Disillusion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008 02:23:05 AM »

Why thank you!
You shouldn't worry, corsets won't bite (most of the time) and if you do first an experimenting corset with inexpensive materials and use something like strong plastic cut into strips as bones you won't lose anything, and it's a great practise!

This was actually pretty easy to make, but not like t-shirt type of easy, more like corset-type of easy. Of course this isn't the easiest one to start with, but if you have some knowledge on how to build a corset, or have made one, you'll do fine. But I'd suggest trying something a bit easier (or at least something with lacing in the back AND front so you can get more easily in it xD) first before rushing into something like this. Of course I had my own way of making this corset, I just had the pattern and made my own rules. And as for the pattern, it's from a book called The Evolution of Fashion: Pattern and Cut from 1066 to 1930 (but I have the pattern scanned *winkwink*) and the pattern is from the Victorian era (year 1876). It's fairly easy to modify, especially if you make a "first edition" with the original fabric, then try it on, mark some corrections to the fabric and edit the patterns according to your changes.

And yes, I think I'm wearing it sometime again, but I'm not completely sure where. When I go shopping and want to look different than the others, or on a night out with friends (my budget would also thank me for that, since I couldn't have so many drinks then, not to mention the infamous one-too-many-drink).

I hope this clears some thing to you. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My still small wist!
Kyness
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008 02:37:39 AM »

I've started to make a few but I chicken out also. I need my corsets to "work" like a proper corset, being a plus size kinda girl. lol. and I just feel that one I make myself just isn't going to do well at holding in everything it needs to hold in. haha

I've not yet found a decent pattern to make one for myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beccabadger
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008 03:04:40 AM »

That's really nice! I don't normally like pink, but the shade of it and the pattern is just really cool! I wish I had your sewing skills, it looks amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stelloun
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008 03:25:10 AM »

Its wonderful, I love the color you choose, I think it looks ancient and modern in the same time!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lee-lee ess.
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008 05:38:41 PM »

I saw this, and immediately linked it to my boyfriend.  I explained it with one word.  "WANT" 
This is absolutely GORGEOUS and looks soooo well made.  I love, love, love everything about it.  Like a few other people I've noticed, I'm not a huge, huge fan of pink, but this about makes me one!  LOVE THIS.  You did awesome!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pretty hate machine
Lady Disillusion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008 01:07:18 PM »

Noo, no chickening out...! It's really fun making corsets. And thanks all, again!

Kyness, this type of corset is actually the type that can make your waist look thinner and push it to the right way. This is actually pretty long corset, it goes pretty far down to the hips and raises up to cover the breast. I'm a fairly small girl on that area, so anyone with more might end up having a pretty mighty cleavage.

And lee-lee ess., nice to hear that you like it so much! You should probably take it as a project, find a pretty-pretty fabric, sew something in one night, continue it on another... Making corsets isn't really hard, you just have to make sure it's the right size for you. The sewing is kinda easy, just with more small parts than usually. It takes more logic and patience Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My still small wist!
kirein3ko
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2008 01:21:27 PM »

Curtain fabric always has the best prints hehe. But I like how the fabric you used gives it a sort of modern twist, great job~!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pretty hate machine
Lady Disillusion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2008 12:01:27 AM »

Curtain fabrics are always the nicest ones...! Yeah, it would look completely different with something like cream white doupion silk Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My still small wist!
elsa_autumn

Ruffles, laces, candy-sweet faces...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008 10:52:57 AM »

Wow its amazing:)
so pretttty:D
i wish i could make something like this.
how would you go about it...?
usually i just stick to customisation or making accessories...but this is something else!
she is amazing live, isnt she?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CaRipeOlives

Ummmm Can't Beat Black Olives!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008 11:22:09 AM »

WOW there is not much more you can say about that. tottaly awesome. maybe i will attempt that next year when i loose weight and have more free time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am therefore I craft!
chibi neko
uhh....

sugar rush

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2008 11:16:42 PM »

that is so hot!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love isnt black and white its the whole freekin rainbow Tongue
Blue Rose
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2008 02:24:17 AM »

absolutely wonderful! well worth losing a few fingers for  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pretty hate machine
Lady Disillusion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2008 02:44:44 AM »

Thanks! And yeah, a fingers are only the necessary sacrifices. CaRipeOlives, you should most definitely try it then, it can be really relaxing and calming to work on such an annoying project Smiley
And as for elsa_autumn, (my name is actually Elisa :3) I think I can't explain the whole process in short, but when I make another one I'll probably make some kind of tutorial, step-by-step guide, or something. And yes, Emilie is such a wonderful person Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My still small wist!
Blue Rose
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2008 03:17:06 AM »

Ooh I hope you make another soon then ^_^ I'm looking forward to a tut with in-progress pics :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pretty hate machine
Lady Disillusion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2008 10:52:17 AM »

I'll probably will, as soon as I get an idea for a new one and find the perfect fabric Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My still small wist!
Wei_Ma
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2008 05:16:47 PM »

Looove the fabric choice! I have curtains waiting for repurposement (that's a word right?  Grin) in my closet. Maybe a corset is the way to go.... thanks for the idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pretty hate machine
Lady Disillusion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2008 10:44:08 PM »

No problem Smiley I always shop the most at the interior design parts of my local fabric store. Too bad some of the fabrics are expensive (which is why curtains are good to use again Grin)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My still small wist!
poorandweird
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2008 02:28:30 PM »

it looks like you put so much work into that, and it sure as hell paid off. I freaking LOVE the fabric too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spotted zebra
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2009 07:09:03 PM »

This is amazing! You did a really good job with everything. I looove the fabric (and I second what you said about the interior decorating section... why do they make funky prints for my couch but not for me?)

Anyway, I'm planning on making my own prom dress this year with a corset-style bodice, but I've been having a reeeeeally hard time finding a pattern that I like (that's also not ridiculously skanky). Do you think you could send me the pattern that you used? I would be very much in love with you in a non-weird way =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tsuya
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2009 11:44:12 PM »

I hope this hasn't been posted yet. But what pattern did yo use or did you make iyour own?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pretty hate machine
Lady Disillusion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2009 04:09:03 AM »

Hi all, and thanks for your nice comments Cheesy

I used a pattern from 1876 and it's from a book called The Evolution of Fashion: Pattern and Cut from 1066 to 1930 by Margot Hamilton hill and Peter A. Bucknell (whew, it's a long one). I scanned the fabric and scaled it to the right size and then just printed it out. I'm not sure if this is completely positively legal or anything, but if you throw me a PM and I will then send you the pattern with instructions. Of course, this is a pattern meant for a ridiculously thin woman (if your not interested in tightlacing) so I can also give you some instructions on how to make parts of the pattern bigger/smaller. Smiley

Again, just shoot me with a PM and I'll get in touch with you, because I gotta run now! 8D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My still small wist!
Awesome Monkey
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2009 08:11:44 PM »

this is AMAZING!!! i've been looking up corsets because i want to make a dress for prom this year kinda like taylor swift's in that love story music video...and this is perfect! if i PM you could you maybe send me the pattern and some pointers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eleniel
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2009 08:39:19 PM »

This is so fantastic.  The colors are striking and it's so elegant! Amaaazing work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
donniesgirl
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2009 09:04:08 PM »

Really like the choice of fabric & the panels are so well matched up.  Looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jessmonster

And so, the lion fell in love with the lamb..

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2009 09:54:43 PM »

i would LIVE in that
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pretty hate machine
Lady Disillusion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2009 11:47:55 AM »

Thank you all! Cheesy Nice to hear that you like it so much, I really appreciate it...!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My still small wist!
CaityBear
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2009 07:30:10 PM »

It's gorgeous. I absolutely love the fabric. I would love to make my own real corset, but it would be very difficult for me to find all the materials since I live in the middle of no where. lol

Though I do want to make a corset like shirt, that's not as stiff as a real corset. Someday I plan to. Tongue But I keep getting sidetracked!

But yours looks great. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pretty hate machine
Lady Disillusion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2009 11:23:50 AM »

Thanks for the compliments! I actually live in the middle of nowhere too, I'm just glad that there's a fabric store here. Thank god for web shops!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My still small wist!
Lizzloli
Lady in waiting

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2009 05:31:24 PM »

THis is an amazing peice! I love it! And the fact that it was amde for an Emilie Autumn show makes it more amazing. She's my favorite artist! I cannot wait until she comes around my way! Again, it's lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\/)
(^^)
(v v)
Some bunny loves you!
pretty hate machine
Lady Disillusion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2009 11:14:46 PM »

Thank you so much! Emilie is such a lovely girl and I'd love to see her again anytime. By the way, I love the outfit on your avatar...!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My still small wist!
punkyflossy

Call me Katie (:

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2009 10:31:40 AM »

This is so utterly georgeous it's insane Smiley
you're very talented!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stelloun
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2009 01:55:14 PM »

I have no words to say how geargious it is!! Congratulations!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pretty hate machine
Lady Disillusion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2009 12:40:45 AM »

Thank you so much! I don't think I'm that good good (you should see the corset up close, it's not that pretty xD), but thanks anyway...!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My still small wist!
ceevee
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2009 09:57:21 AM »

Looks great!  I'm in awe of the patience it must have taken to match up the pattern on the fabric to flow between panels.  That is some serious dedication!  It's beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glasstapper
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2009 12:25:17 PM »

This is gorgeous. Does it actually suck you in?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Knitting Needles
How to Knit Stargazer Yarn
How to Knit Faux Fur Scarves
How to Crochet Punk Rock Flowers
How to Crochet Artisan Large Flowers
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...