A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,073
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: glam metal costume! With codpiece!  (Read 7122 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_challenge_32_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

suitcase2space
Suffering from an artistic temperament since 1983

View Profile WWW
« on: November 04, 2008 05:22:49 PM »

After seeing all the great entries so far, I feel a little inadequate....but anyway, I am still proud of the costumes I made this year. I had a hard time choosing which one to enter, but I decided on my boyfriend's because it has a better story behind it...and it has a codpiece!

Anyway, we started dating when I was studying abroad in China and he came to visit. We took a trip together to the mountains in western Yunnan province, pretty much due west of Kunming, where I was staying. Since most of western China is still largely undeveloped, this necessitated a 14 hour long bus ride over scary mountain passes. We passed the time with his iPod, bonding over a shared love of Iron Maiden. Yes, well, skip ahead a year, and we're both back in the states, trying to come up with a costume over the phone (he lives in Boston, me in Vermont). No agreement was reached, so when he got here we took a trip to goodwill to browse the costume potential. We found a pair of teeny tiny women's pants, leopard print spandex! Light bulbs went on and we decided he should be a glam metal rocker from the 80's. We watched Iron maiden videos and listened to Merciful Fate for inspiration. The pants were gutted and a side panel and new waistband were added. It was decided that this wasn't enough, though, so I cut up an ugly, old brown leather jacket, stained it darker with boot polish, and made a codpiece! Oh yes, and I also made the headband. All in one day. Whew!
This project was a lot of firsts: first pair of pants, first time putting a snap on anything, first time sewing leather, first codpiece!!!
I'm happy that most of it was reconstructed or items we already had laying around. It helps that we have both been into punk and metal since we were kids, and hence have leather jackets, leg warmers, and fuschia tank tops to spare!
Okay, sorry for the longwindedness. On to the pictures!

here are the two of us posing. I made my costume too!

here is a close-up of the pants/codpiece contraption. It's basically a leather thong, but attached to the pants. Heh heh.

Action shots!
First, with a bride and a costume with another codpiece! Who would have thought I'd be at a party with more than one codpiece. This is why I love my friends...

Random party shot

Can you tell I'm really proud of that codpiece? Cheesy

« Last Edit: November 04, 2008 05:36:56 PM by suitcase2space » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you say 'yes' to a single desire? Oh, my friends, then you say 'yes' to all pain.
ulcdmj
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008 06:29:01 PM »

Holy cow did you just bring me back to my younger years! The costume is great, and all in one day! Whew! I simply love the picture with your friend in it too, you all seem to be quite the character's. \m/ Metal lives! LOL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DeadGirl
I am the lemon zester of destruction!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008 06:29:15 PM »

Haha, that's great! Bruce Dickinson would be proud, I'm sure  Wink And your Star Trek costume is cute too!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
suitcase2space
Suffering from an artistic temperament since 1983

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008 07:13:10 PM »

I simply love the picture with your friend in it too, you all seem to be quite the character's.

What gave it away, the purple dildo? LOL
Yes, they are characters indeed.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you say 'yes' to a single desire? Oh, my friends, then you say 'yes' to all pain.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Find Lasting Happiness: Be Nobody
Jason Reynolds: What Are You Reading?
Lynn Cullen: What Are You Reading?
Chef Heather Bertinetti on Baking Desserts
David Menasche: What Are You Reading?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...