A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,176
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Looking for cookie recipes 1 from each state 50 recipes - Need 18 more states...  (Read 17707 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rainylakechick
« Reply #160 on: June 28, 2007 08:50:50 AM »

I'm from Minnesota, but live in Texas now.  I make "Special K" bars all the time for my Texas friends -- they love 'em!

My recipe:

* 1 cup sugar
    * 1 cup corn syrup
    * 1-1/2 cups peanut butter
    * 6 cups Special K cereal (corn flakes also work)
    * 12 oz. pkg. semisweet chocolate chips
    * 6 oz. pkg. butterscotch chips

Melt sugar and corn syrup in a saucepan on low till it comes to a boil.
Remove from heat and add peanut butter. 
Quickly pour mixture over cereal and mix. 
Press mixture in a 9x12 pan.
In a double boiler, melt chocolate and butterscotch together. 
Pour over cereal mixture.  Cool.  Cut into bars. 

« Last Edit: June 28, 2007 09:00:29 AM by rainylakechick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alicia-s
« Reply #161 on: July 10, 2007 12:28:17 AM »

Im from new mexico and I can tell you that everyone has had a Biscochito (Biscocho, depending where you're from)

Combine 3 or 4 eggs (depending on size) with 1 cup of sugar, add 1 teaspoon of vanilla, and 1 cup of lard. Mix ingredients thoroughly.

After eggs, sugar and vanilla are mixed thoroughly, add 1 teaspoon baking powder, and 4 cups of flour. Mix in 1 tablespoon anise seeds (crushed to bring out the flavor). Mix into a dough, it should be the consistency of pie crust dough.

Roll out dough thick or thin (however you prefer). Cut cookies and dip in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar before baking.

Biscochito (or bizcochito) is a crispy butter cookie flavored with anise and cinnamon.

It was developed by residents of New Mexico over the centuries from the first Spanish colonists of New Mexico. The recipe for making the cookie has been greatly influenced not only by local and indigenous customs, but also by recipes brought to New Mexico by immigrants from other Hispanic countries. It is served during special celebrations, such as wedding receptions, baptisms, and religious holidays (especially during the Christmas season).

It is usually eaten with morning coffee or milk, after lunch in the early afternoon, or dinner late at night. The cookie is seldom known outside its various territories.

In 1989, the U.S. State of New Mexico adopted the biscochito as its official state cookie. This act made New Mexico the first state to have an official cookie. It was chosen to help maintain traditional home-baked cookery.

Bake at 350 for 12 to 15 Minutes
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007 12:28:42 AM by alicia-s » THIS ROCKS   Logged
stevenjames
what are you gonna make today?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #162 on: July 18, 2007 06:51:19 PM »

This totally rocks, I so need to find time to clean up this forum and catalog these ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

learn how to torch enamel: http://macaroniandglitter.com/classes

follow me on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/stevenjames
craft-matic
« Reply #163 on: July 27, 2007 03:01:42 PM »

I'm from Nebraska, I'm from Nebraska!

So....it's not so much a cookie as a type of donut, but it doesn't get more Nebraskan than kolaches.  Kolache is the Czech generic word for "pastry" but in Nebraska it refers to a type of jelly- and/or cheese-filled donut.  You'll find them at the Saturday morning Farmer's Market in Lincoln, alongside farm-made kielbasa, fresh sweet corn, tomatoes, and squashes and all the other delectable things grown in the most fertile farmland in all the whole world. 

The dough is sometimes made with cream cheese (mmmmmmm).  I've included a couple variants....(you can tell they were written by REAL Nebraskans; note the "mash real good" and "makes 72" elements of the first recipe;

KOLACHES   

1ST DOUGH:

2 pkgs. yeast
1 tsp. sugar
2 c. (lukewarm) milk
3 c. flour (hard wheat)

Mix and let rise. While waiting mix 2nd dough.

4 egg yolks
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. shortening

Mix first 4 ingredients to make 1st dough, let rise. Beat egg yolks well and add sugar, salt, and shortening. Now add to the risen 1st dough and mix well. Add 3 to 3 1/2 cups flour and work dough until smooth. Let stand in a warm place for almost 40 minutes and work dough one more time. Now let the dough rise to about 3 to 4 times the size of the dough before it started rising. Cut the dough with teaspoon and drop on floured board. For cheese or poppy seed, stretch the dough and fill with cheese or poppy seed filling. Seal well and put on a greased baking sheet about 3" apart. Let rise about 1 hour in a warm place then bake at 370 degrees for 12 minutes. Brush with butter when baked.

For fruit or cheese kolaches, see recipes for the different fillings.

FRUIT FILLING FOR KOLACHES:

Serves 72. Fruit kolaches are rolled into balls and put on greased baking sheets about 3" apart. Let rise for 1/2 hour and make a punch on each ball and fill with prune, pineapple, or apricot filling and topping.

PRUNE FILLING: Cook prunes, then cool, add a little sugar and a bit of cinnamon and mash real good with potato masher.

COTTAGE CHEESE FILLING: 2 cups of cottage cheese, drain well, work in 1 egg yolk and 1/4 teaspoon lemon rind.

APRICOT FILLING: Cook dried apricots and cool, add sugar to taste and mash real well with potato masher.

CRUMBLE TOPPING FOR KOLACHES:

Serves 72.

CRUMBLE TOPPING: You may put this topping on top of the fillings or you may use a powdered sugar glaze. For crumble topping put 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, 5 tablespoons of melted butter. Mash (mix) until crumbly.

KOLACHES   

2 envelopes Fleischmann's dry yeast
1/4 cup lukewarm water
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 cups milk
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsps. salt
2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
6 1/4 cups sifted all purpose flour
Softened butter as needed

In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar and let stand. Scald milk in a sauce pan. Remove from heat and stir in butter and 1/2 cup sugar. Cool to lukewarm. Add salt and egg yolks. Combine milk mixture and yeast in a large bowl. Using a heavy mixer, add flour until all has been used. Knead dough on a lightly floured board until glossy. Place in a bowl, cover and let rise until doubled. Using a tablespoon, cut out egg sized pieces of dough and roll into balls in your hands. Place 1 inch apart on greased cookie sheets. Kolaches can be frozen for later use at this point - if you're tired! Brush top of each ball with butter. Let rise again.

SAUSAGE KOLACHES:

Wrap each ball around 1 Oscar Meyer Little Smokey and seal edges with fingers. Top with melted butter.

FRUIT OR CHEESE KOLACHES:

Make a deep indentation with your left 2 forefingers into the dough ball and fill with 1 teaspoon of fruit. This indentation must be deep -without penetrating the bottom - or you will have kolaches "topped" with fruit! Sprinkle with topping. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes in conventional oven for best results. Brush again immediately with melted butter. Makes about 3 1/2 dozen.

APRICOT FILLING:

1 pkg. dried apricots covered with water
1 1/4 cups sugar

Cook apricots in water to cover until tender and water is absorbed. Then mash with sugar.

TOPPING:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsps. melted butter

Combine all above and blend with fork to the consistency of coarse meal. Sprinkle topping over fruit and cheese kolaches.

CHEESE FILLING:

1/2 lb. cottage cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup sugar

Combine and blend thoroughly.

Other than kolaches, I think things like gingerbread and pumpkin bread are as close as you'll get to traditional prairie fare.  I found one questionable recipe for "potato chip cookies" on a google search, but I strongly feel it should be ignored. 

Now, I don't want to step on any Pennsylvanian toes, but my mama used to make us "Pennsylvania Dutch Cookies" when I was little, that were to DIE for.  Chocolate cake-like cookie rounds filled with the yummiest of shortening-based, trans-fat rich, heart attack-inducing filling ever invented.  *sigh*

Cookie
2    cups sugar
1    cup shortening
2    eggs
4    cups flour
1    cup baking cocoa
2    teaspoons vanilla
1    teaspoon salt
1    cup milk, with
1    teaspoon white vinegar
2    teaspoons baking soda
1    cup hot water
CREAM FILLING INGREDIENTS
2    egg whites, beaten
4    tablespoons milk
2    teaspoons vanilla
4    cups powdered sugar
1    cup shortening
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007 03:12:30 PM by craft-matic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
queenofmorons
« Reply #164 on: November 07, 2008 08:55:11 AM »

I'm from Alabama, and I do not have a clue as to what our STATE cookie is, but here is a recipe of mine:

choc oatmeal cookies2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa

1 stick butter or Land O Lakes Marjorie only, all other margarine has too much veg. oil and will make runny cookies

3 cups quick oats
1 teaspoon vanilla
cup milk
cup peanut butter

Mix sugar & cocoa and stir well.
Add milk and mix well.
Add butter.
Bring to full rolling boil, and boil for one minute at the full rolling boil.
Remove from heat.
Add peanut butter and vanilla, then mix until well mixed.
Add oats and drop by teaspoon full onto wax paper.
Let cool at least 30 min.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #165 on: November 07, 2008 09:02:47 AM »

This totally rocks, I so need to find time to clean up this forum and catalog these ideas.

how  is it  going???  I want a copy of this compiled cookie book.  would be wonderful with facts adn photos of each state... get hoppin! LOL   No really curious  how its  coming  along.  which states are  you missing now?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Shamballa Bracelet
How to Make Bridal Necklaces
How to Make a Feather Necklace
How to Make Beaded Earrings
How to Make a Fimo Bead Bracelet
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...