A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
438 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Solid Fragrance Tins for Xmas Presents!  (Read 1696 times)
Tags for this thread: packaging  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cassiecate57
« on: December 23, 2008 08:41:24 PM »

I finished up this project tonight and thought I would share. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.
I never like things to look too "done", I like a little DIY flair in my stuff.

How To:
I used this tutorial and got my tins for like $.40 each on Specialty Bottle which ended up being awesome because their shipping got to me in 1-2 business days. I got my paper and ribbon @ Michaels. They were having a 4/$1 sale on a LOT of their gorgeous paper. I'm not a scrapbooker or anything but I love great paper. I bought my ingredients at our local health store/fresh market place and my fragrances came from Super Supplements and CandleScience.com.

Anyway, onto the images.

The bottom has the brown paisley paper with the ingredients. I am gifting these to female friends and family for Xmas Smiley Cute little stocking stuffers and if you don't spend too much on your ingredients, it can be a really economical project.

One recommendation I would make if you are going to make these is to maybe use a microwaveable material for your containers. It was a pain to mix the shea mixture in a big batch and then mix up different fragrances in each tin before it started to set, so I ended up having to concoct a double-boiler (the pyrex bowl and a saucepan) whereas if I had used plastic, I could have just microwaved the individual mixtures for a few seconds to smooth out the shea + fragrance. Would've been a time saver! Or you could make all the same scents in one batch and change scents only in batches. I wasn't going for a mass-production thing. But I like how these little tins came out. Also, remember you are not supposed to apply citrus oils to skin because they can accelerate a sunburn (or something like that). I did anyway because it's not like you're slathering solid fragrance on you and it's the middle of winter here. . .most people are wearing sweaters and coats, etc.

Some fragrances I used:
honeysuckle
jasmine
bamboo
vanilla
tangerine
grapefruit
lavender

And that's it! I'm not really looking for criticism but if you have a nice way to say it, I'd be open to hearing it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
&blog
˙˙˙ǝɹǝɥ pɐɯ ןןɐ ǝɹ,ǝʍ

timshel
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008 02:25:32 AM »

Cute! I always use that type of tin for lotion bars.  And it is citrus essential oils that cause photosensitivity, you don't need to worry about it if you are using citrus fragrance oils.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008 02:25:56 AM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Devierue
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008 12:24:23 PM »

O.O *is envious of your tins*

I did the same sort of thing for the holiday this year - mine didn't end up looking nearly as pretty! I ended up using little containers that I found at the dollar store - since I decided to do it all last minute (well...last minute in the sense that if I didn't ship it out soon, it wouldn't get to anyone in time), I ended up spending way too much money on things that would have been much cheaper online. That, and given my lack of experience in this department, I purchased quite a few things that I didn't end up needing at all. Guess that just means I'll have to find new uses, right? *smiles*

I actually preferred the double-boiler (and by that, I mean ever-so-gracefully balancing a small pot in a bigger pot and just waiting for something to slop over and scar me for life) over the microwave bit. Might just be the control freak in me, maybe I just like to live dangerously? *eyeroll* Either way, I liked it better, but that's all personal choice. I made mine in batches, changing scents per batch...smaller batches = more opportunity to change scents I suppose, but I was racing the clock. I used soy wax and shea butter, and added my fragrances after taking them off of my makeshift doubleboiler - do you add yours while everything is still melting?

Citrus oils can irritate the skin (as you know), so be careful with them. A little bit goes a long way - some people advise against it altogether, but it's a trial and error thing. For personal use, you know your skin.

Anyway, my rambling aside, I think your tins look fantastic! Great way to use nice paper - I oogle paper like crazy...now I have a new use for it! Great ideas, good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cassiecate57
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008 02:14:24 PM »

And it is citrus essential oils that cause photosensitivity, you don't need to worry about it if you are using citrus fragrance oils.

I did use EO (sorry, unclear) of tangerine and lemon (from super supplements). My other oils were body-safe FOs (candlescience.com, scentimentalgiftset c.com).

do you add yours while everything is still melting?

No, I added after the mixture came off the heat. But it sets up pretty fast to be adding three drops of this, 4 drops of that, mixing it up and so forth. So I had to reheat briefly to smooth out the tops so they looked pretty. How long is it safe to heat FOs/EOs? Is it just until you begin to near the flashpoint?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
&blog
˙˙˙ǝɹǝɥ pɐɯ ןןɐ ǝɹ,ǝʍ

timshel
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008 02:46:25 PM »

And it is citrus essential oils that cause photosensitivity, you don't need to worry about it if you are using citrus fragrance oils.

I did use EO (sorry, unclear) of tangerine and lemon (from super supplements). My other oils were body-safe FOs (candlescience.com, scentimentalgiftset c.com).

Gotcha! I just saw grapefruit on the list and figured it must be fo, since it is so expensive as an eo. Mmm, I have a super yummy pink grapefruit fo, it is awesome as a wake-me-up kinda soap!  Tangerine eo sounds awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Windoverireland

Any man can lose his hat in a fairy-wind.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008 10:36:54 AM »

These are lovely and just the perfect little thing for a gift. I love your scent list.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Devierue
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009 05:40:00 AM »

How long is it safe to heat FOs/EOs? Is it just until you begin to near the flashpoint?

I'm not sure, actually. Like I said, I added mine after. In the event of a reheat, though...I really couldn't tell you. My mix didn't set very quickly, so I didn't have any problems adding in after taking it off of the heat - I've noticed that they are a touch softer than I would like, but other than that, it all worked fine.

If heating FOs/EOs is needed, I would just proceed with caution and see how it goes. But that's me and my supposed insanity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cassiecate57
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009 08:20:07 AM »

Yeah, mine came out the oppposite: a touch firmer than I would like. Just a little too much beeswax, I would guess. Maybe it was the reheating.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
&blog
˙˙˙ǝɹǝɥ pɐɯ ןןɐ ǝɹ,ǝʍ

timshel
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Know When You Should Cut Your Hair
How to Cut Hair Yourself
How to Finger Wave Hair
How to Style Long Hair With Jerome Lordet
How to Pin Curl Long Hair
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...