A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
417 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Check out my head lights (no, not THOSE head lights)  (Read 7238 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pink Toes
« on: March 05, 2005 08:05:07 PM »

I wish I was a better photographer, but you'll have to take my word (and crappy pictures) for it - these are really cool in person!

What you'll need:

- Plug in under cabinet halogen light (comes in pack of 3 for around $20 at Home Depot)
- Washer with a hole large enough to fit cord of halogen light (they come without the plug attached, so it doesn't have to be too big)
- Drill
- A diamond head drill bit (mine is 3/8" - large enough for the light cord to fit through) - you can use a masonry bit instead... BUT it's MUCH more time consuming - and haven't you always wanted a diamond head drill bit?
- Recycled glass head from Pier 1 ($15)
- A ceiling hook
- Some heavyish and lightish wire

With the diamond head bit (or masonry bit), drill a hole in the center of the top of the head.  Be sure you have a cup of water next to you so you can dunk the bit in to cool it every once in a while.  The head will be a little squirrelly until the bit gets some traction - I found it easiest to hold it tight between my knees.

Once you've made the hole, pull halogen cord through the washer until the washer is resting against the back of the halogen light. 

Take a length of your heavyish wire, and tie it VERY securely to the washer.  You'll be hanging the whole thing with this wire, so make sure you leave enough room for the head to hang down, and to tie it VERY securely to a ceiling hook.  This way the weight on the head will be resting on the metal washer, not the plastic electrical device.

To make sure the light points straight down, take your lightish wire and attach it any way you can to the back of the halogen light, then thread it through the washer hole and tie it back up with its other end, tight enough so the washer it forces the halogen cord to run perpendicular to the light.  This is something you'll need to mess with to get just right.

Put the halogen light inside the head and pull the heavy wire and light chord through the hole you've made.

Secure the wire to a ceiling hook, and stash your cord, and voila!  A headlight!  I have mine hooked up to a dimmer switch, because what's a headlight without a dimmer switch?

« Last Edit: April 15, 2009 05:32:16 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilovepaper
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005 02:40:37 AM »

Wow!
That is one-of-a-kind lighting, you did a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rissaroo
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005 02:12:56 PM »

First off, great job. Those are so bizarre-cool.  Cheesy

My question is about the diamond drill bit, since i have seen them referenced for many projects that i want to try:
where do you buy from?
what do they cost?
will it work with regular ol' black and decker drill?

Also your directions are wonderful - you made it so clear. thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IAte86Crayons
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005 04:43:03 PM »

Whoa, those are cool, but creepy. Mannequin heads scare the bajeezus outta me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pink Toes
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005 05:05:01 PM »

My question is about the diamond drill bit, since i have seen them referenced for many projects that i want to try:
where do you buy from?
what do they cost?
will it work with regular ol' black and decker drill?

thanks for your nice comments!  as for the diamond drill bits:

while my local home depot didn't have them, my local hardware store (which i am so much happier to support anyway) did.  i'd definitely call ahead before trudging about town.

i can't remember exactly how much i paid - but not nearly as much as you might think.  i think somewhere around $10-15.  here's a website that has some different prices and types of bits.  mine is a diamond core drill.  (http://www.dadsrockshop.com/diamond_drills.html).

you can definitely use them with a regular old drill. 

have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lucy van pelt
in the sky, with diamonds

lie back and think of england

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005 05:11:18 PM »

I've heard of lightbulbs going on above someone's head when they get an idea, but never inside their head.  Grin Congrats on a great job on an unsettling but fun project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

d_oubt

Go Banana, GO!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005 05:43:18 PM »

that is so awesome - it looks like they really pop against  your green curtain too!!!

great innovative idea!  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rissaroo
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2005 06:44:56 PM »

thanks for the info and link!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sparky1131

Riding the wave of chaos...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005 04:28:19 PM »

I love these!  I made a lamp once where I sculpted a head out of clay (the face had a look of enlightenment, like when you get a great idea) so when you turned the lamp on, a lightbulb went on over the guy's head.  Pretty fun.  I think you could do something similar with these heads and make a table lamp out of the head too.

Nice work!

Meredith
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missie
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005 06:04:23 PM »

Hmm that really cool.
i think i might make one.
i was thinking it would also be cool if you frosted the head or some thing that way you could really see the head shape, but i suppose it would not put out as much light then  Sad
missie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Silk Screen Your Own Designs
How to Make an Egg Cozy
How to Make Marbleized Paper
How to Make Terry Cloth Bath Mitts for Kids
How to Make a True Family Tree Board
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...