A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
702 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first RL collage (img heavish)  (Read 15518 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

myfairytalescomingtrue
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008 02:39:56 PM »

i can't even tell you how much i love these!  especially the one with the cricket!  good luck with your show!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Store - Fantastic Fabrics at Discount Prices
http://www.JeLowe.etsy.com

My Blog
http://jelowe.blogspot.com/
Muddlepud
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008 04:21:03 PM »

I think you are wonderfully talented. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama of two, eeking out a few creative hours a day.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."  ~Pablo Picasso
Shop
Blog
Flickr
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008 02:37:54 AM »

Congratulations! In spite of all the nerves you must be amazingly excited Cheesy. What an incredible honour to not only have you husband love your work so much that he decotes himself to marketing it, but that someone actually wants to give you your own show. Wow O_O.

I am sure you will find great textures everywhere, as it was mentioned before art supply stores have amazing papers in large sheets and there are so many great textures and patterns in dollar sotres and hardware stores and op shops.

And don't forget that you can get your digital prints printed at a print shop in enormous sizes and on a variety of papers.

If you make a numbered, limited edition series that are all hand-signed they would probably garner as much interest as traditional 'originals'. A great option for digital artists.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
BlueKia
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008 07:57:30 AM »

Fun,Strong,Beautiful work!

Looking forward to seeing your work and hearing about your success!
Go with it...It would be nice to be able to buy your ladies someday on cards and other pieces,they work and you have a good eye and a wonderful heart to create such lovely ladies..
I like the ethnic lady too I hope you do more of her as well...

Collage using pieces from your environment will open the world to you.
I like doing collage pieces, I feel a connection with those things I hold in my hands..

Fun and Beautiful!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ehinders
Crafting to avoid real work.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008 08:05:21 AM »

I love, love, love your work! I'm dying to know how the art show goes! Please let us know.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008 08:06:47 AM by ehinders » THIS ROCKS   Logged
hardyswanton01
idle hands means you aren't crafting enough

laughter is good medicine, whisky is better

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008 08:59:24 AM »

Hey fellow Madisonian!  If it counts, I liked your design for the ethnic fest!  What coffee shop will your work be at and when, I always need artsy places to sit and study.

In the Madison area, I reccomend:
Traditional craft stores: Joanns, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, WI Craft Mart
stores with craft stuff: walmart, target, the university bookstore (state street location--sometimes has discontinued handmade papers), the dollar store
unconventional supply places: Menards, Farm and Fleet, Home Depot, goodwill, st vinnies, savers; try frugal muse for books, they often have a dollar bin, or free stuff.  even barnes and noble (west side for sure) does it.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008 09:22:40 AM by hardyswanton01 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrazyR
Renée

www.fancy-antlers.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008 09:07:11 AM »

Free materials: Get some wallpaper samples at a DIY store (as in DIY -> painting your own walls, installing your own kitchen DIY stuff). You can get great textured wallpaper and with really great prints!
For the music paper, go to a secondhand store where they sell old music books (or just old novels for lettered paper). Not free, but very cheap! (Like 25 cents or less).
And for the back, you could use plywood (I don't know for sure if it's called that way though). It's very sturdy, and It will make a great background in the 'woodfiber look' you intended.
For a cool aged effect on paper: Put a nice strong sheet of white paper in a e.g. dishwashing basin, then poor tea (not hot or cold either, is it called lukewarm?) over it, gently, and let it sit for about 5 min. Then take it out gently and let it dry. Different kinds of tea give different effects! The colour of rooibos will turn out different than e.g. green tea.
I personally wouldn't use lace, ribbons, glitter, or buttons and things like that, because I don't think it fits with the 'feeling' of your creations.
Fabric like this http://www.therugs.com/images/CLHO/Jute-Berber-Beige.jpg would look great I think! How do you call that in your country?

I hope I gave you some usefull tips, and I hope you were able to understand them even though I'm a little bit 'disabled' when it comes to the English names of materials.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008 09:09:41 AM by CrazyR » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Music sweet music
I wish I could caress
laura_anderton
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008 04:41:31 PM »

Horray for Madison! I heard the State Street Obama party was bigger than Freakfest. Wink And thank you for the local store tips... I was going to try and get over to Frugal Muse this weekend; we don't own a car so I always have to wait until the weekend to go craft shopping.

The show will be at Mother Fool's on Willy St. for all of December! I'll post when the reception... thing is, it would be so great to meet someone from craftster!

Thank you again everyone for the wonderful advice. I'm going to try using fabric tonight. Off I go! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vitaboheme

Future Picasso

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2008 06:04:44 PM »

I love your ladies- there is something nostalgic but warm, whimsical and girlfriendy about them. The quirky crickets and teapots and wonderful textures- they are really wonderful.

My opinion is that you could easily hold your own at any art show. I teach at an art college and see all kinds of things in all kinds of mediums, and I would say that your digital work would match anything that I have seen. The fun thing about collage is that it is a playful medium to begin with, and pretty much anything goes as long as it fits your vision (I would agree with a previous poster to stay away from the more kitschy crafty things like glitter, unless it was an accent blended into fabrics or something). You did a marvellous job with the first 'real' collage, and they won't look just like the digital works. You are consistent with the form and feeling of the subject, but the transition into fabrics etc will add a three-dimensionality that the digital won't have (this is not to say that one is better than the other- they are simply different, and I loved them both).

Have fun with the show- some people will love your work and others won't, but that is the nature of art whatever the form. I would attend and quite likely be unable to resist taking one home.

And by the way- good on your husband for doing so well by you! Not only does he support your art, but he is actively putting his own skills to use on your behalf. Good man!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls.
-Pablo Picasso
vitaboheme

Future Picasso

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2008 06:59:09 PM »

Oh yeah- I was going to say, regarding being laughed at by the 'art community'..... Your work is no less valid than theirs, whoever 'they' are (and I ask- just who are they, and what qualifies them as judge of all art???). Honestly, some of the things that I see being pushed as valuable art- and we are talking here on the big market scale- is laughable in my opinion (animals in formaldehyde??? Flat color acrylics of backyard pools? Barf and banale, I say), and some of the artists being overlooked really unique and expressive.

Art is subjective- some will like one thing, some people something completely different. It is a matter of personal taste, especially when you move out of the ridiculous big money market and into the real world where real people look at and buy art, and that is a good thing.

Your work is good. It is unique, personal, and interesting. But, if someone should be tactless enough to laugh, ask them what matchbook they bought their education from.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls.
-Pablo Picasso
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Effects Processing in Adobe Soundbooth Lesson 1
How to Use Vector Drawing Tools in Adobe Flash Lesson 4
How to Use Vector Drawing Tools in Adobe Flash Lesson 3
How to Use Vector Drawing Tools in Adobe Flash Lesson 2
How to Use Vector Drawing Tools in Adobe Flash Lesson 1
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...