A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,162
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first RL collage (img heavish)  (Read 16826 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

laura_anderton
« on: November 03, 2008 05:39:11 PM »

My first RL collageÖ

So hereís the storyÖ a few months ago I had to create some concepts for a local ethnic/music fest. Iím a designer for a bank, but we were supporting this thing, so it was a fun little project. I sketched something quick, scanned it in, then decided to play with textures and see what happened. This is what I came up with:

Anyhoo, of course they went with another concept (the life of a designer), but I liked the idea of digital collage so much that I really wanted to use it some more. I love texture and patternÖ so I started collecting cool textures while I was browsing; wood grain, fabric, butterfly wings, apples. Mmm, texture. Then about a month ago it got pretty slow at work, so to keep my mind going I started sketching little characters on the backs of my business cards. Iím more of a designer than an artist, but sometimes I like to sketch. Then one weekend I thought I would scan some in and try doing that digital collage thing, and this is what I came up withÖ

Now my husband thought they were all that (I donít know), and heís doing a marketing degree (horray for putting your husband through college). He thought it would be a fun project to try marketing this stuff, he set up an online shop and a deviantart accountÖ which was all good, until this weekend I was notified that I would be having a solo art show at a local coffee shop. Now I thought he was just going to do his little marketing stuff online. Iím excited, I think, but Iím also panicking because I donít have nearly enough (I need, like 20 pieces). Plus they want me to do some originals, and I have never done a collage before in my life. So on Sunday we went to the craft store and bought origami and scrapbooking paper, some decoupage glue, and some mat board, and I tried to recreate the digital collages in RL.

Anyway, that is my hugely long story. I guess I'm looking for advice... I'm afraid I'm just going to be laughed at by the "art" community... Madison has a pretty big art community. Iím sort of freaked out right now, and I really donít know if what Iím doing is good enough to have an art show, but I donít want to bow out because it could maybe be successful, and if not it should at least be fun. So right now Iím hoping for ideas on how to create original collagesÖ I think Iíd like to do some bigger stuff, but I donít know where to find big pretty paperÖ the wrapping paper was all sort of kitschy and shiny, and there wasnít a great selection of the big paper. I donít know. Ack.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quinkes
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008 05:49:02 PM »

I love your work, it is beautifully quirky and I am sure you will do very well at the coffee shop.

Sorry, not able to give advice, but I am sure with your talent, things will work out lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rae-mazing

But it's better if you do.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008 05:57:47 PM »

I agree! I absolutely love the digital collages, and I would love to have one in my home. As for the physical collages...is there any way you could use fabric as part of the design? There are some mighty awesome patterns there...You'll be amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps! I always need fabric, findings/notions, and cute handmade things!

www.wastedwishes.etsy.com

www.wastedwishes.blogspot.com
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008 05:58:53 PM »

Art supply stores (not craft stores) often have large sheets of handmade papers.  That's all the advice I have as I am trying to work up the nerve to collage myself for the last year or so.  Sigh.  However, it occurred to me that you could use smaller pieces to create a bigger piece - a collage within a collage?  Congratulations, good luck and please share!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ralfkitty
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008 05:59:16 PM »

First of all I'm like to say, Don't ever doubt that you're not "good enough." You have a keen eye. Second, Take a deep breath. It'll be okay Smiley

Go with your gut. Also, it's okay to make mistakes! Sometimes the "mistakes" end up being beautiful.

As for papers, you could try craigslist to see if anyone in your area has textured paper for sale/for free, or if you have enough time, I'm sure there are tons of places on the internet to order paper. Even if you do larger works, you may have to layer multiple pieces of small paper.. and perhaps it will produce a pleasing texture to work into your pieces Smiley

Create whatever inspires you, and you won't be able to go wrong. Good luck with everything!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make vegan mineral makeup!
Find me at http://minerallove.etsy.com Smiley
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008 06:07:32 PM »

I think they look really fantastic!  (I'm a designer, too!)  You're doing it just right, I'd say.  These'd fit right in with our local shops that carry art, the coffee shops and the galleries, too.  One thing you might consider, if you're doing physical work:  try fabric, too!  There are some fantastic quilters cottons and laces out there, that I think would really add some depth to your work.  If you use a rotary cutter, and put stiffy, or white glue, along the edges right away, they shouldn't fray.  I'm really particularly fond of the first one you posted, the event poster.  I'd love to see more that use that aesthetic.  Great job!  And good luck with your show!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
animegirlie
crafty nerdy girl

just make stuff!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008 06:14:20 PM »

I was going to suggest fabric and lace as well.

these are absolutely lovely! I would probably buy one if I was attending (the tea pot girl is my fave).

don't worry - the art show will be fine. as some one else said "take a deep breathe, it will be okay." I've done a couple of shows and it is always nerve wracking.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

New Craft Blog - best way to contact me right now is via the bloggie Smiley

Wists are a wonderful thing!

Want a sticker?
sewjayded
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008 06:14:39 PM »

Wow, I just have to say those are fantastic!  I don't really have any advice other than to believe in yourself!!!  Don't doubt yourself you definitely have talent.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

battina
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008 06:43:54 PM »

these are fantastic! good luck with the art show, you're work is beautiful and should be well received!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laura_anderton
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008 06:52:38 PM »

Thank you sooo much for all the comments and kind words! They really do make me feel more like I can do this.

I would love to try fabric. I was considering even sewing on the paper, which might be... different. It was my first RL collage, and I'm pretty excited about all the possibilities. Then again, I donít want to go out and spend $100s in supplies then I canít afford. LOL. Iíll definitely check craigís listÖ if not decorative paper, maybe bed sheets or old clothes?!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
That Awkward Moment Junket
The Nut Job
American Hustle Interviews
Zombies Help Kids Learn Movie Making
Sherry Lansing: The Role of a Studio Head
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...