A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  It's time to vote!  Which Craftster member rocked dollar store crafting?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 305,656
Currently Running With Scissors:
363 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fly away from ugly! (fortified with pictorial goodness)  (Read 2693 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Aikibookworm
Dangerously clever and resourceful.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 03, 2008 05:20:17 PM »

OK, so I am proud of me.  I don't mean to be obnoxious, but I am so freakin' proud of me!!!  This is my first time redoing a chair.  And, by golly, I DID IT!!!  I cowgirled up and pulled it off despite having not a clue!!!

Oh, by the way, I'd like to state for the record that staple guns are scary, scary things.  I'm just saying...

The chair is far from perfect, and professional (or gifted amateur) reupholsterer types will probably experience burning of the eyes while enduring these pictures, but, frankly, I don't care.  Because, I am delightfully satisfied.  It turned out far better than I had allowed myself to hope.  And, I learned A LOT!  I am definitely ready to take on new furniture projects and keep learning. 

And, I only bled 4 times, burned 3 very small blisters, and bruised one fingertip.  I am proud to state that no ER visit was required during the completion of this project.

So, please share my giddy glee.  Thanks for indulging me and reading this post!

So, it started with a $5 thrift shop chair.  Here are the pieces.  I had to take it apart to fit it in my car.  It is being test-sat by feline test-sitter extraordinaire, Kansas the giant furry, purring ball of white fluffy love.

Yeah, it's fugly.  But, sitting all dusty in the back room of the thrift shop, it quietly whispered to me, "You need more seating.  And, now's a good time because your son's birthday gathering is coming up.  And, look at me -- look at my intriguing, subtle, lines.  Look at my clean angles.  If I follow you home, will you keep me?"

Dirty, orange vinyl so screams "waiting room circa 1978" to me.  *SHUDDER*  But, the chair is sturdy, and I could see well enough how to take apart stuff and put it back together -- a good first recovering project. 

But, and this is key, I wasn't just going to use any old fabric.  I was waiting for the perfect fabric -- fabric that spoke to me, fabric that said, "I am worth the effort," fabric that was also on sale.

And, I found that fabric.  And, it was good.

See, I sort of have a massive thing for helicopters.  I am a rotorwash junkie.  Bigtime.

So, y'all, it's time to start humming the Airwolf theme!!!

BEHOLD!!!!!!!!  *cymbals crash*

I didn't want the feeling of fabric over vinyl, so I covered both cushions with a thin layer of quilt batting first before recovering with the supercool fabric.  The fabric is flannel so, bonus prize, The Universe's Most Fantabulous Helicopter Chair of Wonder is also SNUGGLY!!!!  Now, really, folks, have you ever?!?!?

Close up of the fabric:

I left the wooden handles as is because they're in decent shape, and they look fine how they are.  I like the wooden handles alongside the fabric.  If I ever get bored with them, I can always take them back off and paint them.

Because, I am now a furniture-redoing-wicked-cool-chic like that.

OK, so, ummm, the back.  Yeah, well.  Just don't look too closely and then move along quickly.  But, hey, I made things hard on myself by choosing a fabric that has an up and down.  And, really, the back is where I learned the most.  I've already saved many "do it better next time" files on my mental harddrive.

Action shot:

Kansas also prefers the new snugglyriffic covering:

The Universe's Most Fantabulous Helicopter Chair of Wonder will have place of honor in the living room. 

Oh, and my A-Team fan son's response upon seeing the redone chair for the first time was one word eloquence:  "Murdock!"

*deep contented sigh*
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008 05:26:25 PM by Aikibookworm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's hear it for the hippies and the yippies!"
- John Lennon in the song Give Peace a Chance

my wist:  http://www.wists.com/Aikibookworm
ralfkitty
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008 05:38:51 PM »

You did a great job! I assure you, no one will be looking at the back Tongue

The very first purse I made had a cherry pattern fabric for the lining.. which I accidentally sewed upside down... but the outside is lovely and the cherries just look a little drunk... The moral is: I still love it because it was made my me and it was a great learning experience.

I know you and your family will be able to enjoy your handy-work for years to come! Keep up the good work Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008 05:41:51 PM by ralfkitty » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make vegan mineral makeup!
Find me at http://minerallove.etsy.com Smiley
Dinosaurus Meg

I wish I was a wolpertinger.

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008 05:53:20 PM »

Flannel upholstered helicopter chair!? Oh my GOD!!!

Awesome... This is the coolest thing ever. If I were an eight or nine year old boy this would be my dream furniture for my room. This is so cool. You are great and don't you forget to upholster more chairs!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey Fiber People: I am very interested in personal swaps for painted/dyed roving or top. I can swap supplies or crafted items. Let's talk!

Every body wants a rock to wind a piece of string around.
Aikibookworm
Dangerously clever and resourceful.

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008 04:12:00 PM »

Squeeeee!  *giggle*

My son's birthday party was this afternoon, and the helicopter chair was abundantly ooo'd and cooo'd over! 

I like that it makes people smile.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's hear it for the hippies and the yippies!"
- John Lennon in the song Give Peace a Chance

my wist:  http://www.wists.com/Aikibookworm
rileyartie
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008 09:28:56 PM »

You did a great job. Kudos to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cowgirlz101
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008 08:50:56 AM »

your excellent craftman/womanship of this chair is spectacular.....*eyes the yucky light blue ottoman that is screaming at me* however I love orange and orange would work here at my house cuz everything is orange, black, gray and a litle bit of red the true blue colors of Harley Davidson but for you, and your son and that fluffy cat....that chair rocks!!! Congrats on a job well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One moment can change everything!

Live your life to the fullest every day!

Let your past remain behind you as you look forward to the future!
AradiaLane
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008 01:47:16 PM »

That's really cute. I have a similar chair that I've been meaning to redo. We're aviation fans in my family too. Perhaps I need to start looking for some flannels.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IndigoCharm
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009 08:04:20 PM »

That looks fantastic!
I've been wanting to redo a chair very similar to this one for a time but I'm too scared...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AmriJane128
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009 10:19:51 AM »

That is such a funky chair! I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Look White Hot in White Denim
Trend Report - Prints
DIY Cut-Out T-Shirt
DIY Painted Pumps
Trend Takeout: Boxy Mens Jackets
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Reusable Dryer Sheets
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...