A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,046
Currently Running With Scissors:
765 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Will your heart weigh heavily against the feather of Ma'at?  (Read 16755 times)
Tags for this thread: halloween_costume , costume , costume_idea , halloween , craft_challenge_32_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dinosaurus Meg

I wish I was a wolpertinger.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008 05:57:16 PM »

This is super cool. I was semi-obsessed with Set and Anubis when I was in... 5th grade. So I was 11. Hehe, I was sort of dark Smiley

Great job on both costumes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey Fiber People: I am very interested in personal swaps for painted/dyed roving or top. I can swap supplies or crafted items. Let's talk!

Every body wants a rock to wind a piece of string around.
BudgeIsCool
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008 06:43:18 PM »

OMG I read the title of this topic and I started FREAKING OUT.
Fellow Egyptophile crafters! I didn't know there were others!
Your costume rocks so much. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a whole bunch of fliers advertising a series of concerts (but all the fliers are the same), does anyone want them?
MADness323
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008 07:33:46 PM »

Coolest costume I've seen on Craftsters! *hits the This Rocks button*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And the earth was without form or glory.

MissGobby.etsy.com
astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008 08:08:41 PM »

love it.  Seriously.  Love....  Kiss

Though Horus is my favorite.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rictews daughter
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008 08:38:54 PM »

Wow! You have done an amazing job, it looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
exubereactor

She's a crafty one.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008 09:01:55 PM »

WICKED cool.
Love this!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Throw your heart over the fence.
The rest will follow.
- Norman Vincent Peale
oohmybees
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008 09:11:45 PM »

as always, i'm happy to share construction methods or elaborate details. I can ramble on about my design decisions, but i'm afraid to bore y'all, so just ask!

thanks for looking, I hope you enjoyed my costume!

I would love to hear about your construction methods and elaborate details Grin  The mask is just the coolest thing I have ever seen.  You carved the foam???  What sort of tools did you use, how long did it take you to make the mask, and is the mask heavy?  Wouldn't this be an awesome group costume, there could be an Anubis, Isis, Horus, Bast, etc...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Saturn
The Ditzy Gypsy

Dance first. Think later.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008 09:39:27 PM »

That is so unbelievably awesome!! I love Anubis ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am currently in:
WWP Round 29 Lughnasdagh 2011 swap!
Date to send item by: 07-25-11
iamdolleyes
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008 11:40:17 PM »

I would love to hear about your construction methods and elaborate details Grin  The mask is just the coolest thing I have ever seen.  You carved the foam???  What sort of tools did you use, how long did it take you to make the mask, and is the mask heavy?  Wouldn't this be an awesome group costume, there could be an Anubis, Isis, Horus, Bast, etc...

sure, i'll do my best

i'm actually a sculptor so poke me if i miss important details or you want some specifics that i missed..i often forget to mention things Cheesy

i started with plaster bandage, some saran wrap (for my hair) and vaseline for eyelashes, eyebrows, and hairline
make a basic plaster mask on yourself (lots of tuts out there i'm sure), get help if you need. etc
the foam i used was expanding insulation foam (monofoam brand) from walmart haha. spray it on outside, please wear gloves...this stuff is not awesome on skin at all (one of the worst experiences save actual injury IMO, very irritating)
so i sprayed on to start up the form, and let it cure for some hours, then carved. there's quite a bit of mesh armature inside which i kind of jammed in where needed and sprayed more foam over (gee i wish i had pics) but of course this would depend on how much foam you feel like using, and how much your mask protrudes, mine protrudes a lot so i wanted a bit of armature for strength and support. the foam is very light, but it's foam and therefore could break without support if it got hit very hard

i pretty much just carved with a dollar store steak knife, because that's what i have in my toolkit. in the first process pic you can see i filled in some larger holes with a crack filler, but at this point i don't think that was neccessary. just sand down your foam so it's smooth (please wear a dust mask, and do it outside in old clothes!)

i made a basic paper mache type mix with glue and flour and water, and used tissue paper to go over the outside..much thinner but still strong with the mache, i also did a final layer of glue over it again, but it probably wasn't necessary..just make sure if you're spray painting that no foam is showing through

i picked up some really light air dry clay (i think mine was paper clay's 'delight') and sculpted the details. painted glue over the clay once dry (so the paint would absorb the same as the rest of it) painted, and clear coated

hope that helps, please feel free to ask for clarification if you need, i kind of breezed through my description because i didn't take any pics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm not even supposed to be here today"
deftann

These things just happen.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008 01:59:30 AM »

Thanks for all the extra info! I think you did a fantastic job on the whole ensemble. I wonder what the mask looks like from the back side?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Pete’s ‘Combo’ Pizza
How to Make Grilled Tomato and Basil Pizza
Deviled Egg Trio
Perfect Recipe For Burger Lovers
The Best and Most Bizarre Burgers in America
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...