A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,557
Currently Running With Scissors:
778 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Will your heart weigh heavily against the feather of Ma'at?  (Read 17166 times)
Tags for this thread: halloween_costume , costume , costume_idea , halloween , craft_challenge_32_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

oohmybees
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008 07:25:44 AM »

Thank you for the details, I am very intrigued about carving the foam, I have carved Styrofoam insulation and it was a huge mess!  How big of a mess should I expect with the foam, basically is this an outside project? and do you think I could use a cardboard frame instead of mesh?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iamdolleyes
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008 08:16:36 AM »

i actually laid out newspaper and carved the foam on my kitchen table..it really doesn't have as much static cling as the blue or pink insulation foam..you might want to keep a broom or vacuum handy when you're at smaller detail level, but there isn't that 'stick to everything and make everything a mess' issue here. it was refreshing.
do make sure not to spray it on too thick at first though, if you need a lot of foam, build up. i found if you sprayed it really thick sometimes it wouldn't cure in the center and you'd have to cut in and find out the hard way, then leave it to cure again which is a big annoyance

i suppose you could use cardboard, but i would recommend mesh if you really did need to create some major protrusions, as the foam will creep between the mesh and really lock onto it, rather than just sticking to the surface of the cardboard. stores like Michael's craft store carry rather large rolls of it for very little, it will last for lots of projects

what type of mask are you thinking of constructing? i can try to suggest some armature help if you'd like. i do like the design phase

i'll try to get around to posting a pic of the inside as well..it's not very pretty, but it's not bad

thanks for all the comments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm not even supposed to be here today"
oohmybees
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008 09:01:47 AM »

Thanks again!  I would love to make a Bast mask, so I will get the mesh (I know that I have some somewhere, but I'm in the middle of moving and everything is in chaos), I want the project to hold up well if I'm going to put the time into making it.

I would love to see the inside if you have time to take the pictures Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lique
My Motto: If you can't find it, buy another one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008 09:55:57 AM »

Awesome costume!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

COSTUM1STA
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2008 03:11:24 PM »

I hit "this rocks!"

What a cool costume!! Such an unusual and NOT boring at all idea and so well executed!! GREAT JOB!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ulcdmj
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2008 08:02:31 PM »

Pardon me for saying but this costume is bad*ss! I love it! Very VERY creative!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nosnin
wayward victorian

Glitter and gloom...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008 06:02:27 AM »

That is freaking amazing!!! Awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iamdolleyes
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008 11:12:23 AM »

thank you so much for all the comments posted! makes my heart light as a feather...  Wink
aww shame on me

i added a link to my SO's costume in the first post, and am off to grab some photos of the inside of the masks, so hopefully will post those very soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm not even supposed to be here today"
JupiterLullaby
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2008 11:17:10 AM »

Gorgeous costume!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get a Moola invite!

jupiterlullaby
live.  learn.  life.  love.  die.  dust.  gone.

[[formerly xkacie]]
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2008 02:07:20 PM »

I love this costume it is brilliantly original, and more halloweeny theemed than any I have seen here as it is all about death, the cutsy ones dont really do it for me, this is brilliant. *rocks*

As a plastics engineer i want to endorse what you said about that foam, when it is cured it is quite inert, but as it foams, it does give off a gas that is irritating to people who have compromised lung function, like asthmatics etc. So spray it outside. Thick layers will form huge (collapsable) bubbles inside and so the rigidity will be severely reduced. And it sticks like buggery to anything, it is a very effective adhesive, so watch what you spray it onto!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Simple Animation - 3ds Max
Basic Adobe After Effects CS4 Tutorial
Basic Adobe After Effects CS4 Tutorial
How to UVW Map and Texture - 3ds Max Part 1/2
How to Play Video In Reverse - Sony Vegas
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...