A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,593
Currently Running With Scissors:
783 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Will your heart weigh heavily against the feather of Ma'at?  (Read 17190 times)
Tags for this thread: halloween_costume , costume , costume_idea , halloween , craft_challenge_32_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

iamdolleyes
« on: November 03, 2008 03:58:48 PM »

Let me weigh it for you and check

hmm, it looks a little heavy

This year I decided to go as Anubis (or Anput I guess, as I am female)
I try to do couple type costumes with my SO, though this year i'm not sure it counts so i'm just posting mine for the challenge, and will post his separately in the halloween forum.

onto more pictures

wheee jackal shadow

up close profile/head shot

goofy picture, i'm hungry for souls!

and obligatory silly photo

and a quick teaser of me and the man outside in the dark (which also shows why all my pictures are in bright daylight!  Huh sigh) i was an ancient death god, and he was an incarnation of more modern death (grim reaper/demonized death if you will)

Here is a link to my SO's costume posted in the halloween forum, which i also crafted
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=277269.0

final thoughts, if i were to do it all again (and i totally would) i think i would pass on the black paint this time - what a mess! but it was worth it, I won second prize out at the bar.

construction notes:

Everything was made by me except the boots. garments were strips of stretch twill sewn together to look like mummification wrappings, with some strips of stretchy fabric wrapped around my legs and boots.
The mask is foam applied to a plaster bandage mask, carved and then sealed and painted (papier mache, glue, etc) and then sealed again with kryolan crystal clear acrylic spray. no process pics of the clothes (boring!) but here's a few i remembered to snap of the mask. i'm bad for remembering pictures when i'm elbow deep in art gunk

as always, i'm happy to share construction methods or elaborate details. I can ramble on about my design decisions, but i'm afraid to bore y'all, so just ask!

thanks for looking, I hope you enjoyed my costume!

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008 11:10:58 AM by iamdolleyes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm not even supposed to be here today"
DeadGirl
I am the lemon zester of destruction!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008 04:04:37 PM »

Oh, wow!! That is such a cool costume! I love Egyptian mythology, so I can't believe I didn't think of this... D'oh!  Roll Eyes

Really, this is my favorite costume that's been posted, and I'm hitting "this rocks!"  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whyislife
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008 04:34:50 PM »

HOW DOES THIS ONLY HAVE ONE COMMENT??!!
wowowow.
This is too effing cool!!!
love it.
lovelovelove.
You're amazing, and you win at everything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafty-minou

Meow Meow Meow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008 04:37:28 PM »

OMG!!! I LOVE this SOOOOO much! I love Egyptian gods and if I had any art talent I'd make a Bast mask for next year but unfortunately I could only sew the costume! By the way what did you use to make your skin black like that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008 05:09:01 PM »

Fantastic!  I don't think I'd want to run into the 2 of you in a dark alley.  Intimidating.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avian Flight
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008 05:14:54 PM »

WOW what a cool costume!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
iamdolleyes
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008 05:16:49 PM »

OMG!!! I LOVE this SOOOOO much! I love Egyptian gods and if I had any art talent I'd make a Bast mask for next year but unfortunately I could only sew the costume! By the way what did you use to make your skin black like that?

i think you should give it a go, start off with some plaster bandage from a craft store (and a lot of newspapers for the floor) and have at it Smiley

i used temptu body paint, which was a royal pain but absolutely amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

therajoyce
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008 05:45:52 PM »

This is AMAZING!  Shocked I love Anubis too.  I am seriously speechless.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were; I have not seen
As others saw; I could not bring
My passions from a common spring

Edgar Allen Poe, Alone

My Etsy:  http://swaggersavvydesigns.etsy.com
Pogo
Ardiente

Ready for something new...

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008 05:50:30 PM »

Sooo cool!
Awesome costume!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My little site about giving, with a splash of crafting: http://www.fierygivingtree.com
hippiejo74
Life, liberty and the pursuit of craftiness.

Gotta go - kids chewed thru their straps...

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008 05:52:36 PM »

Grin I knew exactly who you were. Anubis.....seriousl y awesome and wickedly creative costume. (sigh) I adore the Egyptian gods..... Roll Eyes Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my etsy shop - vintage, eco-friendly and all kinds of crafty goodness Smiley
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5029774

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud."
1 Cor. 13:4
Dinosaurus Meg

I wish I was a wolpertinger.

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008 05:57:16 PM »

This is super cool. I was semi-obsessed with Set and Anubis when I was in... 5th grade. So I was 11. Hehe, I was sort of dark Smiley

Great job on both costumes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey Fiber People: I am very interested in personal swaps for painted/dyed roving or top. I can swap supplies or crafted items. Let's talk!

Every body wants a rock to wind a piece of string around.
BudgeIsCool
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008 06:43:18 PM »

OMG I read the title of this topic and I started FREAKING OUT.
Fellow Egyptophile crafters! I didn't know there were others!
Your costume rocks so much. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a whole bunch of fliers advertising a series of concerts (but all the fliers are the same), does anyone want them?
MADness323
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008 07:33:46 PM »

Coolest costume I've seen on Craftsters! *hits the This Rocks button*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And the earth was without form or glory.

MissGobby.etsy.com
astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008 08:08:41 PM »

love it.  Seriously.  Love....  Kiss

Though Horus is my favorite.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rictews daughter
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008 08:38:54 PM »

Wow! You have done an amazing job, it looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
exubereactor

She's a crafty one.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008 09:01:55 PM »

WICKED cool.
Love this!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Throw your heart over the fence.
The rest will follow.
- Norman Vincent Peale
oohmybees
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008 09:11:45 PM »

as always, i'm happy to share construction methods or elaborate details. I can ramble on about my design decisions, but i'm afraid to bore y'all, so just ask!

thanks for looking, I hope you enjoyed my costume!

I would love to hear about your construction methods and elaborate details Grin  The mask is just the coolest thing I have ever seen.  You carved the foam???  What sort of tools did you use, how long did it take you to make the mask, and is the mask heavy?  Wouldn't this be an awesome group costume, there could be an Anubis, Isis, Horus, Bast, etc...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Saturn
The Ditzy Gypsy

Dance first. Think later.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008 09:39:27 PM »

That is so unbelievably awesome!! I love Anubis ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am currently in:
WWP Round 29 Lughnasdagh 2011 swap!
Date to send item by: 07-25-11
iamdolleyes
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008 11:40:17 PM »

I would love to hear about your construction methods and elaborate details Grin  The mask is just the coolest thing I have ever seen.  You carved the foam???  What sort of tools did you use, how long did it take you to make the mask, and is the mask heavy?  Wouldn't this be an awesome group costume, there could be an Anubis, Isis, Horus, Bast, etc...

sure, i'll do my best

i'm actually a sculptor so poke me if i miss important details or you want some specifics that i missed..i often forget to mention things Cheesy

i started with plaster bandage, some saran wrap (for my hair) and vaseline for eyelashes, eyebrows, and hairline
make a basic plaster mask on yourself (lots of tuts out there i'm sure), get help if you need. etc
the foam i used was expanding insulation foam (monofoam brand) from walmart haha. spray it on outside, please wear gloves...this stuff is not awesome on skin at all (one of the worst experiences save actual injury IMO, very irritating)
so i sprayed on to start up the form, and let it cure for some hours, then carved. there's quite a bit of mesh armature inside which i kind of jammed in where needed and sprayed more foam over (gee i wish i had pics) but of course this would depend on how much foam you feel like using, and how much your mask protrudes, mine protrudes a lot so i wanted a bit of armature for strength and support. the foam is very light, but it's foam and therefore could break without support if it got hit very hard

i pretty much just carved with a dollar store steak knife, because that's what i have in my toolkit. in the first process pic you can see i filled in some larger holes with a crack filler, but at this point i don't think that was neccessary. just sand down your foam so it's smooth (please wear a dust mask, and do it outside in old clothes!)

i made a basic paper mache type mix with glue and flour and water, and used tissue paper to go over the outside..much thinner but still strong with the mache, i also did a final layer of glue over it again, but it probably wasn't necessary..just make sure if you're spray painting that no foam is showing through

i picked up some really light air dry clay (i think mine was paper clay's 'delight') and sculpted the details. painted glue over the clay once dry (so the paint would absorb the same as the rest of it) painted, and clear coated

hope that helps, please feel free to ask for clarification if you need, i kind of breezed through my description because i didn't take any pics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

deftann

These things just happen.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008 01:59:30 AM »

Thanks for all the extra info! I think you did a fantastic job on the whole ensemble. I wonder what the mask looks like from the back side?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oohmybees
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008 07:25:44 AM »

Thank you for the details, I am very intrigued about carving the foam, I have carved Styrofoam insulation and it was a huge mess!  How big of a mess should I expect with the foam, basically is this an outside project? and do you think I could use a cardboard frame instead of mesh?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iamdolleyes
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008 08:16:36 AM »

i actually laid out newspaper and carved the foam on my kitchen table..it really doesn't have as much static cling as the blue or pink insulation foam..you might want to keep a broom or vacuum handy when you're at smaller detail level, but there isn't that 'stick to everything and make everything a mess' issue here. it was refreshing.
do make sure not to spray it on too thick at first though, if you need a lot of foam, build up. i found if you sprayed it really thick sometimes it wouldn't cure in the center and you'd have to cut in and find out the hard way, then leave it to cure again which is a big annoyance

i suppose you could use cardboard, but i would recommend mesh if you really did need to create some major protrusions, as the foam will creep between the mesh and really lock onto it, rather than just sticking to the surface of the cardboard. stores like Michael's craft store carry rather large rolls of it for very little, it will last for lots of projects

what type of mask are you thinking of constructing? i can try to suggest some armature help if you'd like. i do like the design phase

i'll try to get around to posting a pic of the inside as well..it's not very pretty, but it's not bad

thanks for all the comments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oohmybees
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008 09:01:47 AM »

Thanks again!  I would love to make a Bast mask, so I will get the mesh (I know that I have some somewhere, but I'm in the middle of moving and everything is in chaos), I want the project to hold up well if I'm going to put the time into making it.

I would love to see the inside if you have time to take the pictures Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lique
My Motto: If you can't find it, buy another one.

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008 09:55:57 AM »

Awesome costume!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

COSTUM1STA
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2008 03:11:24 PM »

I hit "this rocks!"

What a cool costume!! Such an unusual and NOT boring at all idea and so well executed!! GREAT JOB!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ulcdmj
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2008 08:02:31 PM »

Pardon me for saying but this costume is bad*ss! I love it! Very VERY creative!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nosnin
wayward victorian

Glitter and gloom...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008 06:02:27 AM »

That is freaking amazing!!! Awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iamdolleyes
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008 11:12:23 AM »

thank you so much for all the comments posted! makes my heart light as a feather...  Wink
aww shame on me

i added a link to my SO's costume in the first post, and am off to grab some photos of the inside of the masks, so hopefully will post those very soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JupiterLullaby
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2008 11:17:10 AM »

Gorgeous costume!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get a Moola invite!

jupiterlullaby
live.  learn.  life.  love.  die.  dust.  gone.

[[formerly xkacie]]
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2008 02:07:20 PM »

I love this costume it is brilliantly original, and more halloweeny theemed than any I have seen here as it is all about death, the cutsy ones dont really do it for me, this is brilliant. *rocks*

As a plastics engineer i want to endorse what you said about that foam, when it is cured it is quite inert, but as it foams, it does give off a gas that is irritating to people who have compromised lung function, like asthmatics etc. So spray it outside. Thick layers will form huge (collapsable) bubbles inside and so the rigidity will be severely reduced. And it sticks like buggery to anything, it is a very effective adhesive, so watch what you spray it onto!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

thepaintinglibra
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2008 03:17:46 PM »

Whoa! That is a lot of work on the headpiece. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jndperry
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2008 07:35:05 PM »

My son loved your costume.  He is a BIG fan of anything to do with ancient Egypt.  I may be forced to try replicating this next year if he has his way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iamdolleyes
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2008 08:46:50 PM »

I love this costume it is brilliantly original, and more halloweeny theemed than any I have seen here as it is all about death, the cutsy ones dont really do it for me, this is brilliant. *rocks*

As a plastics engineer i want to endorse what you said about that foam, when it is cured it is quite inert, but as it foams, it does give off a gas that is irritating to people who have compromised lung function, like asthmatics etc. So spray it outside. Thick layers will form huge (collapsable) bubbles inside and so the rigidity will be severely reduced. And it sticks like buggery to anything, it is a very effective adhesive, so watch what you spray it onto!!

that's like music to my ears
i love talking art safety, it's such a neglected topic LOL i'm nearing the end of my sculpture/installation degree, and i like to hang out in the mould making department. ventilation is a hot topic down there  Cheesy

and thank you very much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2008 11:48:55 AM »

Oh yes as it should be, there are lots of nasty chemicals and fumes given off with all of those things, various carcinogenic compounds not to mention just plain toxic ones, plus all of the lovely things like glass fibres that can give you contact dermatitis etc etc! Material safefy data sheets are your friend!!

But your work is fabulous and as someone who really wanted to go to art college rather than engineering college, I am deeply deeply envious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blue_teal
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2008 01:13:12 PM »

I just love the egyptian gods! is that body paint ur wearing??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We didn't order this. Wait, are you a dish washer?
No.
yeah we didn't order this."
I LOVE CRAB MAN!
lizefd
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2008 08:18:14 PM »

it is great.  i love the theme. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Grave_13
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2008 12:31:26 PM »

Wow, looks really cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christinashaw
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2009 11:59:24 AM »

This is Fing awesome!!!!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2009 09:57:08 PM »

Wow, I just saw this now, and I am totally blown away! Amazing Anubis! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweetnightmare
SweetNightmare

"Chic? I could never be chic."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2009 08:54:51 AM »

I'm sure that you will make a few kids pee their pants on halloween lol ! I love this, it's awesome!! I've always been into the Egyptian culture. Anubis and Anput were always my favorite.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sincerely,
Liana
AKA: Alana's Mom <3
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Beachy Hair Style
How to Do a Hair Replacement for Alopecia - Part 2
Overview on the Inspire Hair Color Line - Part 5
How to Do a Hair Replacement for Alopecia - Part 4
Overview on the Inspire Hair Color Line - Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...