A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Utility Kilt for my Husband (img giant)  (Read 2908 times)
Tags for this thread: kilt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 03, 2008 10:18:10 AM »

So to make a long story short, my Hubby, who is neither Scottish or Irish has always wanted a kilt. He told me when I started sewing a little over a year ago that I should make him one. Well with some much needed help from my sewing sidekick (Auntie  Wink) and the pattern from www.xmarksthescot.c om I took the plunge. It took us lots of hours to get it right, but we are very happy with the outcome and so was the Hubby, who got it for his birthday. We have yet to add the belt loops and a cargo pocket, because we wanted him to decide on the amount of loops and such.

Enough jabbering here are pics. The front laid out flat. Made from cotton twill in black.

The back. Look at those pleats! Grin

The Hubby trying it on for the first time.

The hubby's rump.

And finally the look of approval. He's super happy and now trying to decide when to wear it!

Thanks for looking!  Smiley Any comments and questions welcome.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008 10:25:59 AM »

wooo hooo finished at last!

Looks great on him (nice butt Mr.AlwaysInspired LOL  Grin )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008 10:40:27 AM »

Great job! I thought it looked like a skirt in the first pic, but that's just because of the color. Once he has it on, it's definitely a kilt. It looks so manly on him! It's strange to see one not in plaid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008 10:48:44 AM »

Great job! I thought it looked like a skirt in the first pic, but that's just because of the color. Once he has it on, it's definitely a kilt. It looks so manly on him! It's strange to see one not in plaid.
Utility kilts are not made in plaid. Solid color cotton twill or canvas is usually used. Although I've seen some great camo ones as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008 11:38:22 AM »

I kinda figured that. Although, I would think that for most jobs, pants would be better to protect the legs from flying dangerous things like flying objects, being scratched up and heat ie working in the yard or on a car.
Perhaps you could enlighten me of when it would be useful to wear.
Is he also fond of Celtic music?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

acidtrix
hell yeah

To the Bat Tank!

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008 11:39:56 AM »

holy crap, you made a utilikilt!!! that is ridiculously awesome!!!! I've been considering one for my guy, but i'm wary of the price tag... and i wouldn't have the guts to attempt sewing something like that.

(hehehe i see my collage in the background  Grin)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out at www.acidtrix.com
AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008 12:02:45 PM »

I kinda figured that. Although, I would think that for most jobs, pants would be better to protect the legs from flying dangerous things like flying objects, being scratched up and heat ie working in the yard or on a car.
Scotsman wear kilts for all activities. I've talked to many that prefer kilts over pants for working. I've even met some that wear them when they work jobs like construction and such. My hubby will not be wearing his to work, as he is a chef and must wear pants in the kitchen, but he plans on wearing it out. As in when we go to dinner and such. I could picture him also wearing it while working in the yard. I believe he will also wear it hiking too.
In our house we are fond of Celtic everything. He especially loves the bagpipes. I'm Irish so all things Celtic are welcome here.
holy crap, you made a utilikilt!!! that is ridiculously awesome!!!! I've been considering one for my guy, but i'm wary of the price tag... and i wouldn't have the guts to attempt sewing something like that.

It really isn't that hard once you figure it all out. The math and measurements are what were killing me, hence me getting back up!
Yep your collage is hanging out there until I can pick the perfect spot for it to hang in the living room!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008 01:37:33 PM »

Scotsman wear kilts for all activities. I've talked to many that prefer kilts over pants for working. I've even met some that wear them when they work jobs like construction and such. My hubby will not be wearing his to work, as he is a chef and must wear pants in the kitchen, but he plans on wearing it out. As in when we go to dinner and such. I could picture him also wearing it while working in the yard. I believe he will also wear it hiking too.
In our house we are fond of Celtic everything. He especially loves the bagpipes. I'm Irish so all things Celtic are welcome here.

It really isn't that hard once you figure it all out. The math and measurements are what were killing me, hence me getting back up!
Yep your collage is hanging out there until I can pick the perfect spot for it to hang in the living room!
I was just wondering. My Dad has his own lawn care business and used to wear shorts. He got tired of being hit in the legs with flying debris, and so wears pants now. My friend was married in his kilt. He had the whole shebang! He looked so handsome! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zowiewoahie

But it's my BIRTHDAY tomorrow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008 12:43:50 PM »

Yay! looks great and lord knows I love a man in a kilt. Does he wear anything under it??? Wink Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lets all go to Jack Taylor's to celebrate!
saucychicken
Rogue Adventurer

Cindy Bear!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008 08:36:19 PM »

Yes, yes, yes!  The world needs more kilts!  Yours looks great!  I am quite familiar with the commercial utility kilts available and yours definitely gives them a run for their money.  Wonderful job.  What a lucky guy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My toes are cold.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Play Carroms
How to Make Finger Paints
How to Make an Accordion File from Envelopes
How to Make Trinket Melt-and-Pour Soap
How to Make a Paper Wallet
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...