A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
738 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland  (Read 5421 times)
Tags for this thread: halloween , halloween_costume , costume , costume_idea  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yaxbooty
« on: November 03, 2008 06:16:53 AM »

My 11 year old chose this White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland costume (Simplicity 3685).  She isn't big enough for adult sizes so we also purchased the corresponding children's pattern (Simplicity  2834).

I did make the vest from the adult costume, it's just a panel with elastic.  I found some old bunny ears in her dress up closet and I hat I used to wear to make her hat.  She found some sunglasses that we smashed the lenses from for her rabbity classes.  Her stepdad loaned her a very cool pocket watch with a chain - I made some little guides to hold it.  Then I realized she had no tail at the last minute.  I ran back up to the dress up closet but couldn't find a bunny tail.  I did find a Santa hat though.  It's now balless.

(there is one little string hanging from the front of her dress that I yanked off after these pictures. It's making me nuts to see it now!!!)

I love how it turned out aside from the plaids not matching up. She fell in love with this plaid upholstery and it was a bolt end.  I had to peice some corduroy in on the back.  I used lime taffeta for the lining. The dress is made from some drapery moire.  Her neck bow is aubergine lace.

She had a lot of fun with it.  She won best costume at her drama class on Saturday!
Here she is looking at her pocket watch and rapping about being late for her very important date.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
musiclady

with enough caffine, I could rule the world

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008 06:24:17 AM »

Wow!  This is just great!!  Wonderful job!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blithe314
Messy Haired Mommy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008 06:30:03 AM »

This is so super darling!  I adore the fabric.  Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sagaciousblonde

i'm a ninjaneer!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008 06:40:45 AM »

Wow, this is superb!  I love the attention to detail.  It's really, really cute as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Waiter! Waiter! What's this robot doing in my soup?"
"It looks like he's performing human tasks twice as well, because he knows no fear or pain."

http://sagaciousblonde.etsy.com
ThirdMargaret

I'm not happy, I'm cheerful. There's a difference.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008 06:41:37 AM »

Wow!  Very marvelous! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yaxbooty
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008 06:44:22 AM »

Thanks everybody!  Truth be told, it took maybe 45 minutes to cut out and around 4 hours to sew it up.  Not too much, really.

Oh, and 3 trips to Joann each between 15-60 minutes in length.  The Joann trips were for the costume, even if all the browsing once there was not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhiannonjo
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008 07:05:11 AM »

Wow! That's really awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just chillin' and sewin'....sewin' and chillin'
MissTessaMelissa
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008 07:16:07 AM »

Wow, the colors are amazing in this. So many different colors but they go together so well. This is really awesome. Much better that a bunny jumpsuit made from faux fur. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.
Little-Vintage-Panda

I wish I had a panda of my own.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008 07:44:30 AM »

I love this costume. ^_^ It's unique and I love the jacket the most. ^_^ I laughed at the santa hat, you gotta do what you gotta do when you are in need of a bunny tail. This may be a strange question, but where did you buy her boots? They are amazing. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There he was, painting the leaves on the trees with different designs. My only question was, why turn something so natural into something so man-made?
yaxbooty
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008 07:48:31 AM »

Thanks!  Like MissTessaMelissa said, it's a lot of colors but truth be told, she didn't stand out that much because most kid's costumes are very, very bright colors.  She just sort of blended in with the fall colors in the dark!  I think she was one of three handmade or DIY costumes in our neighborhood.  We also had the Man in the Yellow Hat and a mime with a paddle that said "trick or treat".

I bought her suede boots from childrensplace.com last year for like ten bucks.  I also ordered two other colors for that price!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008 08:24:58 AM by yaxbooty » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tips for Beachy Waves
Ballerina Bun Hairstyle
Hair Blow Drying Tips
Hair Straightening Tips
Basic Tips for Curly Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...