A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Victorian black widow...  (Read 2041 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_challenge_32_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rictews daughter
« on: November 03, 2008 03:56:17 AM »

Hi everyone!

Being from Australia, we don't usually celebrate halloween but my work has a lot of international students (PhD's) and one of them decided to host a halloween party (and any excuse for a party will do). I thought a victorian black widow or something along those lines...

My costume is almost completley made by myself. The corset was following the laughing moon dore pattern (and I clearly didn't know my own bust size as it ended up too small in the bust) with a wool tartan and black satin backed shantung with black piping in the seams. The lace was a last minute addition to try and cover up the spillage over the top.

The skirt was made in three parts, the underskirt was a heap of gathered layered cotton to add fullness, then there was the overskirt wich had knife pleating in the back to add fullness and was flat on the front. I also attempted a bustle (unfortunatley I do not have a photo of the back of the skirt) that looked cool Smiley Until someone at the part stood on it while I was walking and ripped it!

The last thing I made was the feather thingy in my hair, it was from a kit that came from spotlight (a haberdashery store). Overall I was really happy with my costume, it was the first time I had ever made a corset and it took an impressive 5 inches off my waist! The things I did not make were the shoes (3 inch heel!), necklace and the singlet.

Enjoy! Comments and critiques most welcome Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lacilemon
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008 07:17:02 AM »

yay! it looks great. the feathers are a great touch. halloween should totally be universal!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Hemp Jewelry
Learn How to Make Hemp Jewelry
How to Make a Woven Yarn Friendship Bracelet
How to Make A Woven Yarn Friendship V Bracelet
Learn About Antique Jewelry Boxes
Latest Blog Articles
Get Lost in a Book
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...