A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,945
Currently Running With Scissors:
381 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Explain freezer paper to me!!!  (Read 2875 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sallyb
« on: November 02, 2008 11:45:50 PM »

I keep hearing all these wonderful things about freezer paper and how easy it is to iron on, do your stencil and take off.  Sounds fabulous!  Only, I don't seem to be able to find freezer paper in Australia!  I thought that perhaps it was waxed paper that some people use to wrap their lunches in, so I grabbed some on the weekend.  I cut out my design, but when I tried to iron it onto my fabric, there was no sticking happening whatsoever.  Nada.  Can anyone from Australia or anywhere in the world let me know what freezer paper might be otherwise known as?  Or describe it to me so I can find something like it?

Anyway, I ended up using spray adhesive as a temporary bond as I stencilled.  They still came out well and I'm happy with them, but freezer paper may have been easier and less smelly!

Crits welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VintageLover
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008 12:45:15 AM »

Hi Sallyb, as a fellow Aussie I too have not been able to find freezer paper but do alot of stencils.  I buy cheap contact (the clear stuff to cover books), costs about $2 for a couple of metres.  It's easy to cut and theres no bleeding...Hope this helps, Kerri
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sallyb
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008 12:49:21 AM »

Nice idea Kerri!  I might give that a whirl too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kity
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008 12:01:26 PM »

Not sure what else to call freezer paper. But its white (all I've seen) with a thicker layer of wax on one side than say wax, almost a plastic feel, I have a bunch. You use it to wrap meat in to freeze..... original purpose. I don't own it because of that! But your stencils are pretty!
http://z.about.com/d/familycrafts/1/0/-/o/1/ct1-30_freezerpaper.jpg if that helps?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sallyb
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008 12:29:46 PM »

Thanks for the link Kity.  It still looks and sounds like what I was using anyway.  Perhaps we just don't have freezer paper in Australia and I'll have to compromise with something else.  Oh well.  I can still do good stencils with other stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FJ
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008 05:07:41 PM »

Freezer Paper is a plastic-coated Kraft paper.  You iron on the paper side with the plastic side on the fabric. The plastic gets sticky and adheres to the fabric.  When you are done with your stencil you just peel it off.  It really works great and the big roll would last for a long time.

http://www.reynoldspkg.com/reynoldskitchens/en/product.asp?cat_id=1337&prod_id=1798

http://www.punchwithjudy.com.au/shop/search.php?mode=search&page=1

http://www.ozquilts.com.au/reynolds-freezer-paper-12-1-metres-x-38-1cm-wide-13-1-3-yards-x-15-inches-p18587.html

http://www.usafoods.com.au/p1831/other/reynolds-freezer-paper/

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Patchwork-Quilting-and-Craft_W0QQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008 05:08:57 PM by FJ » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sallyb
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008 01:02:00 AM »

Thanks so much for those links FJ!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

braindeer
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008 07:11:34 AM »

Has anyone had any luck finding this stuff in the UK?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dear Diary...today I was pompous and my sister was crazy.
amybarnett
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008 10:58:45 PM »

Hi Sallyb, as a fellow Aussie I too have not been able to find freezer paper but do alot of stencils.  I buy cheap contact (the clear stuff to cover books), costs about $2 for a couple of metres.  It's easy to cut and theres no bleeding...Hope this helps, Kerri

I have tried quite a few contact paper stencils but it seems that when you do an intricate stencil it is impossible to apply it correctly to the fabric. (unless you have four hands at the ready) If you do try it though, I would not recommend clear contact paper because it is very hard to see where you have applied it correctly and where it has been painted. It is a good solution for simple stencils.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sallyb
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008 01:32:22 AM »

I've recently had some good success cutting a stencil from contact and then applying to a silk screen, so it can be used more than once.  The stencils turned out really well!  But, once you wash the screen, it can't be used again.  I found I got little burrs (little bits that stick up out of the contact) from my scalpel as well - but this may be just because I need a new blade on it.

I am seriously considering buying a roll of freezer paper from one of the links above.  I think it will save a lot of hassle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Auto Mode Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Aperture Priority (A) Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Sunset Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Sports Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Product Photography
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...