A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 305,440
Currently Running With Scissors:
500 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rabbit fur cat toys?  (Read 5216 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: November 02, 2008 07:20:25 PM »

Hey guys! I recently used some rabbit fur (you know, the skins you can get at Hobby Lobby for about $4?) for trim on a clothing project and discovered that my cat goes NUTS over it!!

He gets a wild look in his eyes and starts huffing... he doesn't even have that reaction with catnip!  Shocked

So, 2 questions... is it safe to make him toys out of this fur? It's not specially dyed or anything. And 2: Any ideas or tutorials?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008 07:20:52 PM by SkyyAngel » THIS ROCKS   Logged
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008 08:23:13 PM »

My cat loves those little mice made out of rabbit fur -- they're a buck or two at the pet store.  I think it's the scent that she likes -- she doesn't touch her synthetic fur mice. 

Rabbit fur mice tend to be put together with glue, so I'm not sure how well it would hand or machine sew. 

I don't know how safe it is, whether it was treated with chemicals or not. 

If you make something, it should be big enough so that your cat won't choke on it, cats like to chew on the fur.  A lot of toys sold in pet stores are too tiny IMO. 
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008 09:15:41 AM »

I sewed through it quite easily for the other project (surprised me since I thought I'd need to hand-sew or buy a leather needle). I was thinking of either a large mouse or perhaps a ball with a bell on the inside.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009 08:48:08 PM »

If you have rabbits or have friends who visit who have rabbits, I would recommend staying far far away from the real rabbit fur.  For one, it is repulsive to rabbit owners, but many of the skins come from rabbits in China where several horrible rabbit diseases are very common.  They can travel to the states on the fur and even travel out of your home into other's homes on your shoes.  These disease are capable of causing a very painful death to rabbits within days.  Look up VHD (or RHD) and myxomatosis for more info.  For the most part, these diseases are not present in the US, although there have been outbreaks.  They are highly contagious and deadly.

Please be cautious with these toys around rabbit folks.

I need a house with a craft room!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wash Long Hair
How to Grow Very Long Hair Faster
Best Long Layered Haircuts for Thin Hair
The Best Long Hairstyles for Fine Hair
How to Condition Long Hair
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...