A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,618
Currently Running With Scissors:
715 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kenmore machine-can't even turn the wheel: not worth the repair costs?  (Read 469 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shelleibean
« on: November 02, 2008 07:20:07 PM »

I have a lovely Kenmore, almost 10 years old, model 385. Today, I though maybe it was making a slightly different noise but couldn't really hear a difference and thought maybe i was imagining it. Not long after, it stopped mid-stitch. I got it going again but only a about an inch longer and then nothing.  I couldn't even manually move the needle with the wheel.  I took the cover off to look at what wasn't moving, realized that I'm not a sewing machine mechanic and called sears. Unfortunately, the dept. i need to speak with isn't open on sunday.  Then I thought I would look online, to see if I could get either info on how I could fix it myself of more info on how big of a repair it could be. Since the only information I found advised things like cleaning the bobbin casing and what have you- I'm starting to think that maybe I could buy a new machine for what the repair will cost.
Does anyone have an advice? Or maybe links to better diy repair sites than what I found?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008 04:44:07 AM »

Often a local repair shop will give you a free estimate of the repairs needed.  If it hasn't been serviced in 10 years, it might just need some oil internally.

Also, did you check to see if you have any thread bits stuck in the bobbin area?

Take out the bobbin case, and clean in that area as per the instructions in your manual. It's possible that all you have is some thread nests or wads in there.  If so, here is why that happened andwhat you can do about it.
http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/09/27/thread-nests-and-wads-on-the-underside-how-to-fix-it.aspx

-Jenny
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
shelleibean
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008 05:32:08 AM »

Oh- if only it were that simple! It's some kind of cam or drive shaft- i took it as far apart as I felt comfortable,
I'm going to take it up to sears to have it looked at, but also search around for a good deal on new one just in case it costs way too much to have it repaired/serviced.
Thanks though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008 05:43:58 AM »

Sears is going to quote you about $80 to look at it, that is why I suggested a local shop.  After 10 years, pretty much eveything but the frame is out of warranty. 

Since there are so many inexpensive, new sewing machines on the market these days, many people don't ever have their machine professionally maintained, serviced or repaired.  They just look at it as a disposable item.  And getting the covers off of many of the new machines just to service them can be much like solving a Rubik's cube puzzle block, especially for the average owner. I often wonder if this is intentional on the part of the designers.

I hope you get it all sorted out.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008 02:10:59 PM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOO!!!

This is the one time I will say even though it's a Kenmore DO NOT take it to Sears. Take it to a sewing machine repair shop. The Sears service folks really only stay up to date on pretty new stuff and large appliances, sewing machines often get sent out (i.e. will be out of your hands for months) and their base price is very high.

Washer? Sears. Lawn Mower? Sears. Patio set? Sears. Vacuum cleaner or sewing machine? go local.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shelleibean
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008 03:41:17 PM »

Iw as going to take it to sears b/c i bought it there and there are no other options here. Since i first posted about my probelme I have found several repair shops in PIttsburgh, only about 70 miles from me and home friends I'm always trying to find excuses to visit. So I figure I'll tak it up there in the next few weeks and cross my fingers that I win the sew like a pro sweepstakes.
Thanks y'all
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe
How to Make Chocolate Avocado Truffles
Pie Advice from the "Cake Boss" - Pastry Vs Graham Cracker Crusts
Foolproof Brownie Tips from the "Cake Boss"
Oreo Cake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...